Round Up Rumor

Help Support Steer Planet:

fluffer

Don't know if anyone has heard this or not, supposedly the reason roundup is so expensive is because China ,who makes a lot of it , has closed down their plants to give the air time to clean up for the Olympics.  Anyone else hear that??

Fluffer

knabe

here's a link

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story/0,25197,23338067-643,00.html

Power shortages and transport chaos in areas of central and southern China during recent winter storms are one reason. A lack of water, restricting the output from hydro power stations, is another. Severe environmental pressure from the national government is yet another. Nationwide publicity given to the fate of dying Lake Taihu in Jiangsu province just north of Shanghai, for instance, is prompting local government action, including the relocation of chemical plants.

In the medium- to long-term, questions are starting to be raised as to whether China, no longer so dependent on exports or on heavy industry, wishes to continue producing such chemicals in such quantities. This will be the hot topic at China's biggest annual agricultural chemical exhibition and conference, which is held next week in Shanghai, with all the big global players present.

This global cost is being affected by factors such as the reduction in the export subsidy previously provided by the Chinese government, which formerly returned 11 per cent of the value added tax it pays, but now only returns 5 per cent, and is soon expected to cut out the tax rebate altogether.

subsidies, the bane of capitalism.  and they always slow down change.  imagine if the government had a program to keep 40% of the population working on farms.  it's what they do today for many things.
change must be bad if we keep using subsidies to stop it.

redwingfarm

the main reason round-up is in short supply is that the world demand for the product and the world capacity to produce the base tec matterial is about the same, then add to this equation the growth in round-up ready corn acres this year and you will see spot shortages.  China is a producer of round-up and some factories have been closed for the olympics, but also another factor is the perception that Monsanto is choking the market to in effect cause a shortage in the generic supply of round-up which will cause farmers to have to buy the more expensive power max.  Monsanto is the biggest producer of tec worldwide. the price has more than doubled this past year and i expect it to go up more in the  future.

knabe

this is really interesting.  it costs more now than it did when it was under patent and there is more world production at lower costs?  i though china was our savior.

GLZ

I can honestly say none of these reasons are correct.  That is all I can and will say about that.  One is partially correct.

aj

Even with the high price of fuel I think conventional tillage is still competitive because of the rise in roundups price. No till is a better practice but if you have a tractor and sweep in the yard that is paid for a little fuel ain't to bad.

BCCC

StillLearning said:
I can honestly say none of these reasons are correct.  That is all I can and will say about that.  One is partially correct.
can you illaberate??

BRdoc

When Monsanto's patent ran out, Round Up went down considerably. As we all saw. What happened was a multi-fold development. All the above reasons are very true. But, the biggest reason was this...Monsanto bought out most of the competitors that were selling the "generic Round Up". Our chemical rep said that they almost got ALL the generic brands. When this was accomplished along with all the China stuff, Round Up went through the roof again.

knabe

happens in every industry.  about 75-80 % of all biotch related equipment as measured by gross sales is owned by one company.  same with washers and dryers, refrigerators etc.  the ONLY reason they are packaged differently is brand recognition, which goes back to the days of tesla and edison.

kslivstkbroker

has any body checked the price of mineral or fertilizer, gone sky high due to the shutting down of the plants in china to clean up the air quality for the Olympics this is true!they want clean up there image for the world to see! how is this not true its in the newspapers ,And TV

shortdawg

It has tripled in price here ! I heard China is using more is one reason the price of roundup and all fertilizers are up.