Rules

Help Support Steer Planet:

renegade

I was wondering if there were any rules in your association you thought were just plain dumb or wrong. The junior hereford club here says you must have owned the dam and bred her yourself in order to show in their association(at least the bull i haven't looked into the heifers a hole lot yet). This makes it a little hard for people like me who have just gotten started; i will have to wait another year at least. I really wanted to show my bull calf and a couple of really nice heifers that i am getting.  I think the rule is there so that kids aren't getting cattle from big breeders and showing them as their own but that leaves me in the dust because i got my bull as a weanling and it was just an accident he was still a bull calf(owner couldn't catch him before i looked at the steers- apperently it was the best calf they had last year). I have done all of the work of raising him and taking care of him but now i can't show him in the junior shows unless i want to show all other breed - :mad: i can't show my HEREFORD against other HEREFORDS a the shows :mad:.

knabe

out here what people do is registering heifers to kids, then "buying" them back after the show for people like me whose kids aren't old enough or are too old.  i ain't going for this, but it's pretty routine.  not sure about the actual breeding part out here on cow/heifers, i'll have to look.  there's no open class at all, or any opportunity for kids who are interested, but can't purchase one to participate, hence the shady deals.  obviously the abuse plays a part in the rules.  i might even sponsor something if i could participate.  i would like to see the rules enforced or loosened on help.  at the county show, the winners were getting help, even in the show ring as help was yelling at the people in the ring.  some lady came up to me as i was talking to some kid about his steer, and she informed me he could get in trouble if he was getting help.  very interesting.  during showmanship, in a decision between first and second a question was asked how long is gestation in cows.  dropped the kid when they said 5 months.  ouch.  a similar thing happened to me when i was starting out and the judge asked me how big a ribeye my steer might have. i knew, but panicked and said didn't know.

the county had a sectioned off area where only participants could go in to their animals with displays outside. thought this was a good rule.

almost 1000 members, wow

DLD

I believe that in at least some of the breeds that do have a bull division at their junior national (and probably many of them carry this back to the regional and state level) they are only for bred and owned. I think this is because some really don't want to encourage bulls in junior shows (I think safety is a factor here), but finally compromised enough to allow the ones the juniors had actually bred themselves.

red

the Maines recently allowed bulls to be shown at their Junior Nationals. I know when we showed you didn't have a class for them.
Haven't heard about the clause that you have to own the cow. That would certainly limit many kids from showing.

Red

garybob

red said:
the Maines recently allowed bulls to be shown at their Junior Nationals. I know when we showed you didn't have a class for them.
Haven't heard about the clause that you have to own the cow. That would certainly limit many kids from showing.

Red
I think, in this case, this is to show the  young person's ability to produce cattle based on his or her decision-making ability. I.E. "breeding decisions".

Jill

red said:

Red
The bull class is for Bred and Owned bulls only, so it would be the same as the Hereford's

renegade

I know the angus association and most of the others around here have bred and owned and owned classes for all of the animals(bull, heifer,etc.) and of course pen of three has to have been raised by you.

NHR

Shorthorn Junior Nationals bull show is Bred and Owned only. I like it like that.

red

See, I learned something new! didn't know the bulls had to be bred & owned. Very interesting!

Also at Louisville you can show low % Maine heifers but not low % Maine bulls. I wonder if they'll ever change that?

Red

AAOK

red said:
See, I learned something new! didn't know the bulls had to be bred & owned. Very interesting!

Also at Louisville you can show low % Maine heifers but not low % Maine bulls. I wonder if they'll ever change that?

Red

The Maine-Anjou Bull show at the Junior Nationals is Bred and Owned only.  The same applies to the other breeds which I know something about.

I can't see the AMAA ever supporting a % Bull show.  There is still a good sized contingent promoting to scrap the Mainetainer shows.  I personally don't see the Mainetainers going away.  They give the breed some direction toward the Commercial Cattlemen .

Dan

Latest posts