Rusty Bolt n/c

Help Support Steer Planet:

Stihlpro

I'm sure many of you work on your own equipment, so I'm looking for some advice.  I have a nut/bolt on my John Deere 503 Roatary Mower that is damn near welded on it's so rusty.  I have sprayed the life out of it with penetrating oil, used a 2ft breaker bar, impact wrench...... still no luck!  Any helpful advice out there?  :mad: ??? :mad: ???

shortyjock89

Torch it. Or if you have a bad*** hand grinder, get a really hard cut off wheel. 

Doc

PB Blaster or if you had access to one an Induction Heater, works like a torch sorta , but the heat is more concentrated & quicker ( it's what I use , but I have a demo unit from work that I keep at the house).

Shady Lane

Like has allready been mentioned, heat would be your best friend.

If you don't have access to a torch, keep spraying it with Penetrating oil and take a good punch and a heavy hammer (like a 3 or 4# hammer) and smack it dead in the centre in the head of the bolt to help to shock it free.

Stihlpro

Had to get creative to get heat while being cheap.  Took heating it until it was red hot but she finally came loose.  Thanks!  (clapping)

Dyer Show cattle

Another trick for everyone is to take a crayon, wax, or flux put it on the bolt near the nut and heat at the opposite end you put it on. The heat will pull the wax towards the heat and through the rust. Learned this from a couple of old timers and it works everytime.