Sad that it is comming to this..

Help Support Steer Planet:

daydreamingacres

can home on Saturday night from a Pull and turned on the local news. They said that a local farmer had gone out to get his cows in and found one calf had been shot in the head and was fully "field dressed" and the meat was taken off the carcass and the carcass left. I feel bad not only for the farmer (we know them pretty well) but for the people that had to resort to this for food purposes. I hope the findout who did this...anything like this happen to anyone else?

Turkey Creek Ranch

I have heard of things like this happening. These people have no respect. If they would go out and earn and honest living, they wouldn't have to resort to things like this. I have also heard of cults butchering animals for "rituals." These people make me sick.

Turk

chambero

I'd be mad as can be over such an occurrence, and would do everything I could to find out who did it.  But if I found out they truly did it for food and they weren't just flat out criminals, I'd rather figure out a way to make them work it out than to prosecute them.

BCCC

We have a guy that keeps his cows in just the next pasture to ours, and about 10 years ago he had this happened, however when they were doing this one of the guys wallets fell out and the cops easily found out who it was :'(

shortdawg

A friend of mine had three show pigs slaughtered like this but they didn't leave the carcasses.

knabe

chambero said:
But if I found out they truly did it for food and they weren't just flat out criminals, I'd rather figure out a way to make them work it out than to prosecute them.

this will probably start happening more and more as we bring in more people closer to the land.

work it out, as a repayment to not only society, but the owner, and THEN prosecute.  probably a trail of other things to occupy authorities. 

chambero

More than likely if you found them, they'd have a refrigerator full of beer, maybe a little meth laying around somewhere, with a cigarette in their mouth.  Those folks are easy to throw the book at.  I'm guess I'm figuring they wouldn't ever go to the trouble to really field dress something as large as a cow.

Funny story fairly unrelated.  Several years ago I was out with my father-in-law feeding one early sunday morning.  Saw a feral hog in the road ditch and I shot him.  We usually don't bother to eat them.  We drove up to one of our lease places.  There was an old house on it rented by a particular sub species of white trash.  Trying to be neighborly (for what reason I don't know), my father-in-law made me go to the back door to see if they wanted the dead pig.  The wife comes to the door.  I explain to her why I'm there and ask her.  She answers "*** yes we want him!".  Then she hollers back into the house "Such and such, get your *** out of bed and go with Alan's son-in-law."  Here comes her husband, still in his sleeping clothes and fuzzy house shoes, obviously hung over from a hard Saturday night.  We go drag the pig to their back yard, where they hang it in a tree, and momma starts to work on him with a pocket knife.  I can still picture it to this day.  That wasn't exactly what that guy felt like messing with on Sunday morning.  You'd have thought we gave that woman a million dollars.

Of course when they finally moved off they left about 5 old cars sitting in the yard of that house plus all kinds of other junk we still have to maneuver around.

farmboy

man if someone did this to a show steer or heifer of mine, there'd be some serious hell to pay. If they are hungry, there are plenty of good will/ church things that will help the needy, key word being needy, not lazy/drugged up/no intention of getting a job....

wonder what dusty has to say about this  ;D  <cowboy>

KCK

I have seen the bones of a carcass of a bull in Colorado that the family is not allowed to move. Still an open investigation into a cult. Blood was drained and the sheath was cut off with a syrgical blade. Pretty creepy feeling that will make one not wonder around at night.

daydreamingacres

His calves are worth around her serious money. I hope for the people's sake that the farmers dont find them because I think that the authorities will find their carcasses in a field somewhere. I'm not sure if they have pigs but if they do they may not find them at all.  ;D. I would be very ticked off never mind hurt if someone did this to my cows. Like someone else said if it was for the meat aspect there are plenty of places to get food. When I was at Uconn I found a book of newspaper articles and there was one about a student that stole a lamb slaughtered it and then cooked it in a dorm room . I think the student got expelled. Going back to someone else's topic about work eithic along the same lines today a lot of people lack work ethic and RESPECT. I'm sure they woulda got a run for their money if they had showed up here and I let the 7 dogs outta the house.

txshowlamb

Two years ago at the high school that i keep my animals at two graduated pass students hopped the fence and slit the throat of a lamb and then hung it at the beginning of the steer barn stabbed two pigs the sad thing was my friend her first year raising animals there was the first to be to the barns that6 day. She was horrified and this make you come to wonder how could someone to lower themselves to that level they where caught thank god.

farmboy

txshowlamb said:
Two years ago at the high school that i keep my animals at two graduated pass students hopped the fence and slit the throat of a lamb and then hung it at the beginning of the steer barn stabbed two pigs the sad thing was my friend her first year raising animals there was the first to be to the barns that6 day. She was horrified and this make you come to wonder how could someone to lower themselves to that level they where caught thank god.

idiots like that need shot  :mad:

showsteerdlux

Have to disagree with shooting them. Instead we need to educate them and let them do community service in the barn to repay what they have done.

ShowmanQ

showsteerdlux said:
Have to disagree with shooting them. Instead we need to educate them and let them do community service in the barn to repay what they have done.

As much as I am all for the "eye for an eye" theory and old "cowboy justice", I have to say that is not always the best thing. However, I do not think educating people like this would work to well either, for to educate someone in anything at all you have to have 2 things:
1) A person who is willing to educate
and
2) A PERSON WHO IS WILLING TO BE EDUCATED!!!

sawboss

My last year as a High School Principal I arrived to work early as usual to open the building for the morning and to my surprise found a dead deer run up the flag pole.  I took the animal down and placed it in the back of my truck and removed it to the Ag. Shop, not telling anyone of the incident.  Later in the morning the Elementary campus called to report they had found three deer carcasses on their campus which I went and retrieved.  To make a long story short, I walked the halls with my eyes and ears open looking and listening for signs of the event.  Low and behold a young man is walking the hall in a Carhart coat with blood drips splattered down the left shoulder.  I asked for the jacket without explaining why and called the local Game Warden for assistance.  Amazingly the Warden and parents arrived about the same time.  You should have heard the cussing I received from the Dad about accusing his precious son of poaching.  The Warden stepped in and warned Dad that the next profane word that came from his mouth directed at me would land him in jail.  I then explained that I had not even told anyone on campus what I had found that morning.  The look on Dad's face was priceless and went on how they had killed a feral hog to explain the blood.  Mr. Warden had a field day in finishing out this case.  Four poached deer ended up being a very expensive prank for the young man to pull, and nobody to enjoy other than myself.

knabe

ShowmanQ said:
showsteerdlux said:

As much as I am all for the "eye for an eye" theory and old "cowboy justice", I have to say that is not always the best thing. However, I do not think educating people like this would work to well either, for to educate someone in anything at all you have to have 2 things:
1) A person who is willing to educate
and
2) A PERSON WHO IS WILLING TO BE EDUCATED!!!

we have this halfway house called jail now.

awesome subterfuge dusty.  goes to show yelling and screaming is the fastest way to get nothing done.  eyes and ears are under recognized tools, with the mouth to easy to employ.  god gave us a mouth so others wouldn't know all our thoughts.  funny, legislation seems to be heading in the direction of making thoughts illegal.

NHR

Pretty simple for me:

If I caught them in the act then I would shoot them. (protecting my property, I love Texas)

If the police caught them then I would have them prosecuted.

<cowboy>

daydreamingacres

I will see if I can find anything..... Like I said it was like a 2 minute thing on the 10 o'clock news. I tried to find it the next day but I will look again.