Sale of Champions

Help Support Steer Planet:

pjkjr4

Anybody go to the sale last night? I was wondering what the grand steer, hog, sheep and goat brought. Looked on the Oklahoman website, but they didn't have any numbers in their article.

apple pifarm

pjkjr4 said:
Anybody go to the sale last night? I was wondering what the grand steer, hog, sheep and goat brought. Looked on the Oklahoman website, but they didn't have any numbers in their article.

Grand Steer brought $50,000.00 and I think that I heard that the Grand Barrow sold for $20,000.00.

AAOK

The first animal into the Sale Ring at the Sale of Champions that concluded the 2010 Oklahoma Youth Expo was led in by his owner, Bailey Buck of the Madill FFA Chapter. The Grand Champion Market Steer was the top Crossbred Steer of the show, beating 573 other steers for the right to be the first animal sold on Monday afternoon. The bidding was quick and moved to $50,000 where it stalled out and was called done by Auctioneer Eddie Sims.

The 2010 Grand Steer fell just short of the record set in 2009 of $53,000.

The successful bid was actually a consortium of supporters of the show- including Express Ranches, the Bank of Western Oklahoma, Choctaw Nation, Teners, Chain Land and Cattle Company, McAfee and Taft and Robyn Printing.

The Reserve Champion Market Steer, owned by Kaylen McCary of the Garfield County 4-H, sold for a premium of $17,000. The Reserve was bought by a trio coming together for the purchase, including Express Ranches, Hartzog, Conger and Cason Law Firm and First Liberty Bank.
The Medallion Third Place Place in the Show sold for $7,500- owned by Garett Sharp of Waukomis FFA and purchased by Central States Trailers.

It was the second time around for Brianna Robinson to drive a Grand Champion Barrow into the Sale Ring at the Oklahoma Youth Expo. Her first championship was four years ago in 2006. This year, she claimed top prize with the best barrow out of 2,388 shown on Friday, Saturday and Sunday at the Oklahoma Youth Expo.

Robinson had the Champion Hampshire, and her barrow weighed a hefty 265 pounds. For her efforts in feeding this champion caliber porcine, Brianna Robinson saw her barrow sell for $20,000 on Monday afternoon. Buyers included the Oklahoma Farm Bureau, Blue & Gold Sausage, Bank of Western Oklahoma and American Farmers & Ranchers. The picture here is of a happy Brianna Robinson in the Sale Ring with her barrow which received a treat that looked like marshmallows for standing still for the half dozen plus camera people.

The reserve Grand Champion Barrow had a single buyer- the State Fair of Oklahoma, with the bid coming in that was accepted and declared final by Eddie Sims of $15,000.

The Third Place Medallion barrow at the OYE for 2010 was shown and owned by Cheyenne Gaff of Timberlake 4-H- she got $7,500 from Chesapeake, American Farmers & Ranchers and Oklahoma Pork Council.

The Medallion Third Place Place in the Show sold for $7,500- owned by Garett Sharp of Waukomis FFA and purchased by Central States Trailers.

The Grand Champion Lamb was led into the OYE Sale of Champions Sale Ring by his owner, Tyler Rhoades of the Indiahoma FFA Chapter. Rhoades walked out of the Sale Ring leading Bob the Lamb a few minutes later after earning a $20,000 payday for his lamb.

That premium was paid by Touchstone Electric- the State's Rural Electric Coops. The Natural Color Champion beat out 2,388 lambs that actually showed up for the 2010 show and was one of the heaviest champions ever in the market lamb division at 162 pounds.

The Reserve Grand Champion Lamb was shown and owned by Chelsea Head of the Waynoka FFA Chapter- her Crossbred lamb was even heavier at 174 pounds, which we understand was the heaviest for a Grand or Reserve Grand ever at the Oklahoma Youth Expo. Chelsea's lamb ended up with a premium of $15,000 in the sale, and was purchased by the Diamond Hats and the Daily Oklahoman.

The third best market lamb in the 2010 OYE, the Bronze Medallion lamb, was owned and shown by Holly Hurliman of the Cordell FFA, who was very impressive in how she graciously thanked all the buyers and supporters of young people who helped provide hundreds of thousands of dollars in premium money and scholarships to FFA and 4-H youth at this annual event. Holly's lamb sold for $$7,500 and was purchased by Central States Trailers.

The Grand Champion Market Goat was actually selected a week earlier than the other animals, as the Grand Champion selection was made on Monday the 15th. And the final three young people selling their goats first were the same three young people who sold their goats first in 2009. The top pair of young people were reversed from 2009 when the judge finished up last Monday as Chance Greenroyd of Noble FFA was declared the Grand Champion winner and owner of the best market goat in the show for 2010- besting more than 1,500 other goats. As the fourth animal sold at this year's Oklahoma Youth Expo, the final bid that came in to Auctioneer Eddie Sims was actually higher than the previous two Grand Champions, the barrow and the lamb. Greenroyd picked up a final bid of $21,000 for his goat.

Winning bidders included quite a list that worked together- including Farm Credit of Central Oklahoma, Farm Credit Associations of Oklahoma, Precision Therapy, Pin Point Monograms, Showrite Feeds, K&S Tires, Oklahoma Meat Goat Association and Loving Care Home Health.

The Reserve Grand Champion Market Goat here in 2010 was owned by the 2009 Grand Champion Goat winner, Mercedes Hardin of the Hennessey FFA. Mercedes saw her goat bring $11,000 as it sold to a trio of buyers: the Oklahoma Farm Bureau, Farm Credit of Western Oklahoma and the Oklahoma Youth Expo.

Winning the Bronze Medallion for the second year in the row was Lora Riley of Alva 4-H. The third best goat in the 2010 show ended up selling for a price of $8,000 to a multiple bigger group. That group included Farm Credit of Enid, Farm Credit of Western Oklahoma, Farm Credit Associations of Oklahoma, Oklahoma House Representatives' members, Oklahoma Meat Goat Association and Showrite Feeds.

KJD

Dont know who raised them, but do know who sold them. The Grand and 3rd overall came from Bonham and the Reserve from Collins. The Reserve was a HW.

TMJ Show Cattle

Dustin Glover sold the champion A.O.B.,Reserve shorthorn,had a third best simmental that some thought should have been reserve,and a second place cross that way over 70% of the folks around the ring thought he was the best steer in the whole show.Bailey Bucks calf was a really good steer.according to most accounts there were about thirty calves,that could have won that show....numbers were down from years past,but damn... the quality.

j3cattleco

The Glover steer would have been in the hunt with most every other steer judge in the country except Ward.  He was awfully good just not Wards type.  The simmi was the same way.  Buck had the steer for Ward.  He was a notch bigger with more extension.  There were a bunch of good ones though.

Joshua

pjkjr4

Kind of a funny story here.....my11 year old daughter (4th year to show, 1st year for cattle) was in the last class of Chi's. There were 4 steers, and she placed 3rd (if he coulda walked, she might have won it), but none of the steers even had a sniff in sale order.....bad class all the way around. She's pretty competitive with some of the boys in her class, (none of them thought she was able to show a steer since she's a pretty prissy looking girl). Anyway, some of those boys were telling her how they did with there pigs (several 7ths, 8ths, sifts, stuff like that....nobody did any good) and then one boy asked her how she did. She replied "I stood 3rd in my class, and missed making the sale by 2!!!"  <rock> She said that their jaws dropped!!! She never told them, and they never asked how many were actually in the class. I thought that was pretty good.

A couple of weeks ago at our district show, one of those boys was bragging about winning showmanship with a hog in his class. She replied to him "Well, I won it in my class, and I was the youngest one in there". She went on to tell him that she could teach her dog to place 3rd out of 5 in a hog showmanship class!!!! I just hope her alligator mouth doesn't overload her mosquito bottom.

KJD

It may be too early to know yet, but is Ward gonna be back for a third year?

pjkjr4

KJD said:
It may be too early to know yet, but is Ward gonna be back for a third year?

I believe it is a 2 year contract that they have with all their judges, so my guess would be no.

KJD

Just a rumor I heard that they asked him to come back for a third year. I know Lewis the judge before Ward was at the OYE for three straight years so there is precedence for it being done.