Salty Dog Question

Help Support Steer Planet:

Warrior10

What are your experiences with Salty Dog's calves front ends? He is out of Hired Man who is a Hannibal son, so one would think he could add some neck extension. Thoughts?

mark tenenbaum

If you can go back a year or so-theres the post with all the bulls at stud-including a pathetic pic of monopoly or Heat Wave-Hired man is in that one too-and hes the broadest shouldered SCARIEST calving looking bull Ive seen in years-I wouldnt think Salty Dog is that far removed-as stout as he was O0

Warrior10

mark tenenbaum said:
If you can go back a year or so-theres the post with all the bulls at stud-including a pathetic pic of monopoly or Heat Wave-Hired man is in that one too-and hes the broadest shouldered SCARIEST calving looking bull Ive seen in years-I wouldnt think Salty Dog is that far removed-as stout as he was O0
I've actually had a Hired Man calf out of a Heatwave cow and I wouldn't say it was a big or hard to have calf. But I get what your saying. The cow I am thinking about using him on is 11 years old so I am not too worried about calving issues. Just have always liked his looks. Thanks!

tipmover

Salty Dog is out of Heat Wave, not Hired Man,  I believe he sires a lot like Monopoly just pry not as much gutt as SD's dam isn't angus.  Very Stout though and pretty sound though for as much as they have.

Barry Farms

If their website says its Hired Man then it must be. Although I could see the gains in him not being sired by Heat Wave, it makes him more of an outcross and it shows how good Hired Man is there fore making his semen more valuable. The loses of lying about it is 1: its a lie, 2: Heat Wave is more mainstream (clearly) so it makes him more valuable.

Gerard

This is a Aug Salty Dog Steer and shows to be something special from Trausch Farms. As for the front end looks great and stood 3 best semi at OK beef expo at 630 lb , the steers that he lost to was Denver size at 800 lb . The judges in both rings love him, so we will see just how he does.

Attachments

• 2013-04-19T09-42-13_0.jpg
    2013-04-19T09-42-13_0.jpg
    113.4 KB · Views: 498

Warrior10

Gib said:
This is a Aug Salty Dog Steer and shows to be something special from Trausch Farms. As for the front end looks great and stood 3 best semi at OK beef expo at 630 lb , the steers that he lost to was Denver size at 800 lb . The judges in both rings love him, so we will see just how he does.
Good looking calf, thanks for the response.

Gerard

I have seen a small amount of SD steers and heifers in the last year , "But" the they have been smoke hot with rocket fronts yak hair and winning . Just lucky to have this one in the show string now.

Gargan

Gib said:
What kinda cow is he out of?

Trausch Farms

Barry Farms said:
If their website says its Hired Man then it must be. Although I could see the gains in him not being sired by Heat Wave, it makes him more of an outcross and it shows how good Hired Man is there fore making his semen more valuable. The loses of lying about it is 1: its a lie, 2: Heat Wave is more mainstream (clearly) so it makes him more valuable.

It was simply a typo in the catalog.  Salty Dog is out of Hired Man. 

hamburgman

Never used him but the ones I have seen posted and in catalogs tend to be have a lot of chrome.

mocharolais

Barry Farms said:
Does he always throw that much chrome or typically less?

Yes he will throw chrome.  We have used him pretty extensively in the past are highest seller was out of him this past fall.

Gerard

Gargan said:
Gib said:
What kinda cow is he out of?

I was told he was out of a Angus cow.

Latest posts