San Antonio Grand

Help Support Steer Planet:

chambero

Charolais was showm by Bill Cody's daughter.  Really good smooth silver calf, I thought he was probably the smallest framed of the exotic breed champs.  When he had the choice, Shike didn't seem to want them much over 1300 at all.  Pretty sure most of his breed champs were out of middle weight classes than heavies.

chambero

Looking over the full results on SA's website plenty of his champs were further over 1300 than I realized.

hawk

The AOB was raised by Scott Standridge in OK.  He is out of Monopoly and a PB Charolais donor number 859.

JSchroeder

chambero, which ones?  I thought you were correct with your first statement about him sticking to that 1,300 lb level.  There were a few breeds where had got away from it due to a lack of top flight steers but in the breeds where he had choices at that 1300 weight, he seemed to try to stay close to that.  Basically, I thought he prefered to use them at that weight (he asked for weights quite a bit) but wasn't a zealot about it.

easttex, showchampions.com for pics or stockshowlive.com for video.

chambero

If you read through the pdf of results on their website a bunch of breed/res breeds are over 1300.  I didnt think they were from hearing him talk.  Are you at the sale today?  If you are I'll be looking for you.

JSchroeder

I guess if you are calling it a black and white over 1300 vs under that'd be true.  I tend to consider anything 1300 +/- 25 to be 1300.  The breeds he went above that range seemed to be special circumstances.  In Brahman, the only really powerful steer was ironically the 1050 lb lightweight.  Angus is Angus.  In Simmental, that steer was clearly the best of the breed, but when he went against the others he was probably too big.  The ABC champion was in a similar situation within his breed.  I was surprised at the AOB champ/reserve overall.

We have two selling today but I'm not sure I want to battle the Saturday crowd there.  It's awful nice sitting here in shorts with no shoes on.