San Antonio Steer Show

Help Support Steer Planet:

chambero

Steer show was last week.  Grand looked to be a grey Simi showed by the TCCA point leader.  Reserve was a Maine.  Don't know if it was a black calf or colored.  Its unusual for black calves to win a piece of overall at slick shows.

jimmyski

The reserve was a black maine.....The top two steers looked very good. I didn't really get a chance to see them until the Champions auction but the Grand brought 102,000 and the Reserve brought 52,000.

showsteerdlux

Wow. I think i want to move to texas and show! I know the caliber of steers is great but boy those prices would have a large incentive to get some good calves and work your hind end off on them. Congrats to the winners. Anyone know who bred the calves and what they were out of?

NHR

Texas majors pay good but you have to get through the idiots classifying the steers, just hope that they dont have one in your breed like we did at san antonio otherwise you dont make it in with a good calf.

kimbaljd

Wait till the auction at Houston. The bids for the Grand Champs there get out of site. But there is a set amount that goes to the kid for the animal, and the rest goes to the Scholarship Fund.

chambero

With breed cattle at Texas major, if you aren't worried about getting sifted you don't have to worry about winning.

The toughest part of those shows is almost always the sift.  A good friend of mind sold a high dollar shorthorn last year that would have been in the very top end at Fort Worth, except that he got sifted.  Its no secret who does sifting every year and people will pull all kinds of shenanigans (i.e. go buy calves from them etc. right before the shows) to help their chances of getting through or "decrease" others.  There is more "crap" that goes on with sifters than there ever is with actual judges.

A lot of our calves run Angus and its not uncommon for over half of the calves that get entered to get sifted.  Of course I can't gripe because its not that the sifters are wrong.  I sold three steers that got showed as Angus  steers at Houston last year.  The two true Angus got sifted and the only one that got in was out of a Maine bull and a Charolais cow.

Mark_Forster

showsteerdlux, the Grand Champion steer was raised and sold by Tommy Schroeder, and out of a charolais cross bull called "Lightning Jack".  I dont know about the Reserve Champ.

NHR

This will be our last year to try and show a steer at the majors. If we ever do another steer it will just be for our county show.

I saw purebred shorthorns getting sifted at Ft Worth and San Antonio. Just crazy.

chambero

I guess we are going to try to run a shorthorn through Fort Worth next year.  I don't know why, but my son and his momma just love one of our calves this year.  I've never tried a shortie before.  It's all a matter of chance.  You can take your chance in the sift and have an easier class to show in or you can run the gauntlet of crossbred classes.

It's still too much fun to give up.  You have to face this kind of stuff with steers.  On heifers, you have to run the race against "underestimated" ages.  It's all a matter of pick your poison.  But we still love it.

I give the sifters a little bit of a pass at slick shear shows - calves, especially "breeds", look pretty different without hair.