San Antonio Steers

Help Support Steer Planet:

SmokesRule

who had the champ and res char steers? they look nice in the pics on showchampions. How are they bred?
Thanks,
Beau

rackranch

It just started today.. will end friday with aob and grand drive at rodeo that night.... We are in class 5 Chi and will show thursday afternoon...Newman had champ char but not sure how he was bred..The smokies will have a great shot at winning after the results at Ft Worth

DCC show cattle

Shockey typically uses charolais cross cattle and seein those pics I dont see them being the ones yet there are some sure good ones out there, in saying that those are really good complete calves that I have not seen in person I will tomorrow evening I just dont think they have the style to win the overall with shockey (but I have been wrong before)

bjam4

champ charolais is full brother to kelly's overall champ at houston in 08. not at show but have heard he is real nice

chambero

Didnt know that, but my first thought was that Newman's steer looked like that calf.

TBCattle1

Newman's is a nice calf. We had 2nd in class behind him and 3rd overall Charolais with a smoky. It was a close call for Reserve but that's how it goes. Pretty glad two pretty good ones beat us. The calf pictured in my avatar is the calf we took.

DCC show cattle

If anyone knows about gettin it done though its newman they have been to the top plenty and im anxious to get down there tomorrow and see how the other exotics stack up after seein the simmi and charolais show with a day full of british and im really excited to see what shockey does with some americans

afhm

TBCattle1 said:
Newman's is a nice calf. We had 2nd in class behind him and 3rd overall Charolais with a smoky. It was a close call for Reserve but that's how it goes. Pretty glad two pretty good ones beat us. The calf pictured in my avatar is the calf we took.
Is this the 1st year for SA to pick 3rd overall breed steers? Are they going to select a 3rd overall of the whole show as well?

JSchroeder

There is no 3rd in breed, he's inferring it from the reasons Shaake gave.  Having heard his reasons for the breed drive I'd say it's a somewhat safe assumption.

DLB

Looking at the pictures on ShowChampions...I  really like the charolias, maine, and the simbrah steer.  Will be interesting to see how the AOBs and ABCs go tomorrow.  Good Luck to all of the exhibitors!

Bradenh

the simbrah was a beast. he was shown by a girl in my neighboring county and they own the feedstore in my home town

Steer4Caddy

He's probably referring to the scholarship.  Champion and Reserve of each breed recieve scholarships and if one has already won one in years past, then the judge picks the third best to receive the scholarship.