SAND RANCH HAND

Help Support Steer Planet:

kanshow

My daughter showed a Ranch Hand heifer last year.  She is a deep bodied, really sound heifer.  She is pretty clean fronted - knowing the cow she was from but if I could, I'd clean her up a touch more.  She was a little later maturing than some of our others but was one of those that kept getting better & better as the year progressed.  Right now as a heavy bred - due in March - she looks about as good as I've ever seen her.  Her Mo Better calf is one that we are anxiously awaiting. 

We also have 2 fall heifer calves sired by Ranch Hand.  They are out of first calf heifers - a  Dream On daughter & a DO granddaughter.    They came small - if I recall they were 60 - 65#, but they grew.    They are square hipped and clean fronted.  I would like to see a touch more bone on both of them.   

All in all,  I will use him again and I would use him on heifers.

shorthorngirl2010

Just recently purchased a PB son out of him that goes back to a Made Stout female.  Now, I'll be the first to admit, I'm not real 'up to par' on the simmi lines, but for what I want to do with him, I think he just might work... hopefully (thumbsup)
I'll just attach a few pics and let you see how he looks @ a year (pics with the phone, I'm sorry they're not the best.)
-Sam
Dinero2.jpg

Dinero.jpg

(He's really not as poor on his rears as he appears.  Pen @ the barn is incline AND he wouldn't stand still for 2.0 seconds..)
image.jpg

HCCHSS

From all the calves i have seen out of him the only thing that i could really change is the fact that some can get really straight in their lines, other than that they are very stout and well muscled.

Alpha

kanshow said:
My daughter showed a Ranch Hand heifer last year.   She is a deep bodied, really sound heifer.   She is pretty clean fronted - knowing the cow she was from but if I could, I'd clean her up a touch more.   She was a little later maturing than some of our others but was one of those that kept getting better & better as the year progressed.   Right now as a heavy bred - due in March - she looks about as good as I've ever seen her.   Her Mo Better calf is one that we are anxiously awaiting. 

We also have 2 fall heifer calves sired by Ranch Hand.   They are out of first calf heifers - a  Dream On daughter & a DO granddaughter.    They came small - if I recall they were 60 - 65#, but they grew.    They are square hipped and clean fronted.   I would like to see a touch more bone on both of them.   

All in all,  I will use him again and I would use him on heifers.

if you had the time could you get a few pictures of the heifer and the heifer calves ..... pleace

Bulldaddy

Ranchhand is a super easy calving bull that sometimes makes some pretty good calves. I like the top picture in the post by shorthorngirl.  Nice bull.

chambero

He's pretty popular with some of the specialized feedlots.  We bought a halfblood son last fall from Power Genetics (look at their website for photos).  The one we have isn't real stylish, but has lots of muscle and middle.

DMSC634

We bred my daughters heifer to him last year and in december she had a really stout and sound bull calf, right now it is really to early to tell but we have high hopes for tis little guy.  The older he gets the more we like him. 

shorthorngirl2010

Thanks for the comments guys! We actually purchased the bull @ the sale chambero mentioned; Power Genetics.  Still not too sure how I convinced bossman into buying a SIMMI... mind you he's tunnel vision Angus... we love him anyway though lol. <beer>.  From what I could see at JD's sale, the Ranch Hands were MY PERSONAL favorites.  Growthy, athletic, and had some shape and power to them as well.  Depending on their %age, was some rather deep sided ones there to boot.  Overall, I was most impressed the Ranch Hand sons as a whole; although JD did have a nice set of Dream Ons and Combinations thrown together as well, my congrats go out to him on such a uniform set of bulls.
-Sam

JWW

used quite a bit of him on a variety of cows  ( most were super deep and moderate), he sure isn't like the Teddy bull for sure ( won agribition a few years ago)

The bulls calves start out kinda iffy and then at a bout 10-12 months old really turn it on and become a good looking bull, they have lots of hip and width, so wait on castrating them
heifers are a little more predicable and are very functional type cattle. they are the softer appear and have great rib shape

they make good cattle but i would  not say great - just my opinion,

the nice thing is Ranchhand is outcross genetics and can be bred to dream on lines and

- the person that bred their RH heifer to MO Better-- that will bet that will be a dang good calf bull or heifer, should be anxious to see that one

JWW

chambero

shorthorngirl2010 said:
Thanks for the comments guys! We actually purchased the bull @ the sale chambero mentioned; Power Genetics.  Still not too sure how I convinced bossman into buying a SIMMI... mind you he's tunnel vision Angus... we love him anyway though lol. <beer>.  From what I could see at JD's sale, the Ranch Hands were MY PERSONAL favorites.  Growthy, athletic, and had some shape and power to them as well.  Depending on their %age, was some rather deep sided ones there to boot.  Overall, I was most impressed the Ranch Hand sons as a whole; although JD did have a nice set of Dream Ons and Combinations thrown together as well, my congrats go out to him on such a uniform set of bulls.
-Sam

I had been reading this post on my phone.  Just now got on the laptop and saw the brand on your bull.  JD has been buying our whole calf crop for four years now.  At his Sep sale, de bought the 8-055 bull (and the 8-0559 & 8-0649 bulls).  We bought them off the videos they made.  After getting them home, the other two bulls are prettier (one a Black Joker son, the other out of some bull called PG5-1143), but it'll be interesting to see which ones throw the better calves.  The Ranch Hand son was the more expensive one.

Which bull did you wind up with?

shorthorngirl2010

Ahhh, you purchased from the fall sale, we purchased from the spring sale here a few weeks ago and we ended up with 9-0081.  I seen a few PG5-1143s, and actually had one circled to watch as he went through the ring, but set him in motion and he was restricted in his front shoulder and didnt stride out with near the athleticism as our Ranch Hand did. Keep me posted on who sires the better calves! I'd love to see 'em!
-Sam

chambero

The PG5-1143 we bought would fit right into any "show steer" bull sale minus the six inch hair.  He's a real nice looking bull.  I'd be curious to know what the daddy actually is, I've never bothered to call and ask.

shorthorngirl2010

I believe the "show steer" part of that, but this dude had hair O0 lol.  That PG5 I had picked out was really clubby in his design. Really long fronted, notch bolder and and nickle straight in his shoulder, opened into a very powerful top and carried a lot of product on his skeleton.  He was level in his hip, but a little too straight in his hock and pasterns, which was very noticable when put on the move.  This guy did step down on a large foot but he was was SOOOO super hairy!  If I knew I had the mommas to pair RIGHT with him, I may have snagged him up, however, I was there to buy a bull I could cross on my Angus mommas and get some 50/50s for a small 'foundation herd' to breed clubby... And I just tried looking for a catalog to see who PG5s sire and mgs are.. and we took them all to the office behind the sale barn lol. shoot. lol
-Sam

Sammy

What did you think of the Ranch Hand son #131 that sold in the first pen of the PG sale - the ABS group?  Where did he go?

kanshow

That is a nice bull.   He would work in a lot of herds.  

Our fall Ranch Hand babies  have loads of hair, but I'm thinking it's because they are fall calves.     The 2 year old heifer had nice hair but never had much of it.    Athletic is how I would describe her and how she was often described at shows.   She is not a great heifer by any means but there are really no big holes in her either.   Disposition is awesome on her too.   This heifer was the one she used in showmanship all year - and had some good wins with.    I'll try to get a picture of her now in her working clothes - mud and all.   I thought my daughter might come on last night & post her show pictures but she didn't.    

WRS

Thought I'd post a picture of a Ranch Hand sired purebred bull we raised last year. He is out of a Powerline dam and is pictured at 14 months of age.  We only used Ranch Hand on a limited basis last year, but will probably use him again.

Attachments

• WRSTrailBossU806.jpg
    WRSTrailBossU806.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 263

shorthorngirl2010

Sammmy (kinda weird typing my own name.. feel like I'm talkin' myself  ;)),
I honestly can't recall seeing him in the pens.  That group was @ the beginning of the sale, and I was out back there feeding OUR cows (we own all the cattle that surrounded the sale barn, if you made it to the barn, vs watching it on the internet).  I showed up in time to see a few before our bull, bought ours, then left.  I can check, grandpa MAY have written it down, but I'm not going to make any promises.
-Sam

And nice bull WRS (thumbsup)