Saying Goodbye...

Help Support Steer Planet:

ShortieShowGirl

So im about ot have to say goodbye to my favorite steer ever in a couple weeks.  How can i make this easier? last year was easy because i didnt have a good connection with the steer. Hes like my best friend and he beggs for attention every time i walk by him and is just a puppy dog. Any help makes a difference in my book, just please be nice and remember i have feelings and emotions too.

Simmgal

I know that it is really difficult, and not alot can help, but he will always be "with" you, and you always have next year to form a new bond with a new steer! It gets easier every year for many people, but I know how you feel! :-\  (angel)

redwingfarm

really enjoy your showing take lots and I mean lots of pictures and make sure that someone else loads him up on the truck the last time, my daughter had the same kind of relationship with a steer a couple of years ago, unfortunately we didn;t take enough pics, and I made sure that she went off to get a milk shake when the time came to load him up on the truck, but I have to admit it was tough for me to load him myself

rocknmranch

I agree with the loading, have someone else do it. It's so hard. I remember one of my years a good friend who showed limi's, was a guy, was just as emotional loading his steer as us girls. It's just hard! Nothing you can do to make it easier, we are human with emotions.

sue

STay focused-

You still have to very well in showmanship - so do your best with the favorite - right? 

Now - get out there and talk to those potential buyers- invite them to the sale. Hand  out your information and make sure they can attend or send a bid.  Find 3 potential buyers - think money!!

Good luck

Sassy2899

I have showed steers for three years.  That is not very long when compaired to most of the people her on SP, but no matter who it is. Whether you have a mean steer or a dog that is in a steer body it is still very hard to sell them at county.  The best thing you can do is stay focused like sue said.  When you walk into that ring, I know this may sound bad, think of all the bad times you have had. This will keep you from crying in front of everyone, it worked for me.  I always loaded my steers on the trailer and then took cookies or something to the people that bought my steer.  I would spend the rest of the day thinking about the good times I had with that steer, and lets just say I went through a lot of  ice cream that night  (lol). I know it is really hard to get rid of your animal that you have put so much time and effort into.

cowchick14

I am going through the very same thing as I type this. This is my first year showing, so I have never had to sell an animal before. I am just dying! I have already cried a couple times just thinking about having to let him go. I have been trying to focus on the time we have left together and that seems to help. Also thinking of all the great things that have happened and even the aggrivating things. All you can do is remember that the time you have had was worth while and he will soon be in animal heaven. He will always be in your memories and if you love him as much as it seems, he will be in your heart too. Give him extra loving and like someone else mentioned, take a BUNCH of pictures! I am planning on carrying my camera with me all the time at fair this year.
When is the sale? Mine is the 21st, so a week and one day from today. It kills me, but just remember that this is all a part of the project and soon enough you will have a new animal to spend your time with. I don't think that saying goodbye can ever be easy whether it is an animal or human, especially when you have to see them everyday and have a very special bond,  but it is a part of life and we have to go through it. If you need anyone to talk to or grieve with, feel free to message me. I am a 14 year old girl, just so you know. I hope it won't be too miserable for you, just remember, you can always cry at home after the sale. Try your best not to cry in front of everyone, although it will really be hard not to. Goodluck:)

AAOK

I put the idea in my girls' heads at an early age, to always think of how good those Steaks were going to be.  Seemed to work!

bovine and equine

My parents always made sure I showed a heifer as well so I always had someting to take home.  My daughter starts 4H in 2 yrs and I think we will do the same for her. 

angus214

It is very hard! Last year was my 9yr olds son first year. His steer was the best. He was so sweet and tought my son so much. Closer to time for him to go to the locker we bought him a great little bull and a heifer so he would have something to take home. It seemed to work well for him. He loaded his steer and as I was crying he said mom Beef its whats for dinner. I still tear up when we talk about him. Good Luck I know it is very hard