Scales

Help Support Steer Planet:

GLZ

What do you all use for scales?  I have been looking at purchasing scale bars for under my Priefert chute.  Any thoughts on that?  The only downside I can think of is getting my chute in the air high enough so that I can get the bars under it.  I will need to come up with some sort of patent to do that quickly. 

Anyone ever purchase these or ones like it?  Any thoughts on them?

http://cgi.ebay.com/5000lbX1lb-PORTABLE-4-H-LIVESTOCK-ANIMAL-FLOOR-SCALE_W0QQitemZ270288147882QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item270288147882&_trkparms=72%3A1419%7C39%3A1%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C240%3A1318&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

klintdog

Not familiar with the brand, and hadn't thought of looking on eBay. I know that Gallagher makes some decent digital scales, but they can get pretty pricey by the time you get done with the bars, the tub, and the monitor.

knabe

purhased the exact same thing a year ago, but called them direct, usually someone reselling them.  i made a makeshift platform to weigh them before the chute out of plywood and 2x4's.  i wouldn't put it under the chute.  i remove them when i'm not weighing. they seemed accurate for weighing calves, though i doubted their accuracy down that low.  seemed to have a 3-5 lb error, but i need to improve my platform.

GLZ

knabe said:
i wouldn't put it under the chute. 

Any particular reason why?  I am looking to mainly weigh steers that I am selling, and probably the occasional larger bull.  So i would be probably weighing calves anywhere from 400-2000.  Any problems with that kind of range?

REM

I use the Gallagher  scale in the alley. $2000 weigh bars, monitor, and platform. I love how easy it is to set up and move, one man job. Any inaccuracy's comes from the surface we put it on. Fits nice in a clip chute too.

knabe

you might have problems keeping level, unless the chute is on cement.  you'll need to clean the chute periodically, and the thing has wires that get in the way and when you are walking around dealing with stuff, they can be kind of annoying.

since i don't weigh bulls, my platform isn't all that sturdy.  i only take bw, 205 yearling and the occasional cow just for reference.

DL

REM said:
I use the Gallagher  scale in the alley. $2000 weigh bars, monitor, and platform. I love how easy it is to set up and move, one man job. Any inaccuracy's comes from the surface we put it on. Fits nice in a clip chute too.

I like the Gallagher too - but mine was not that expensive - did you get  the spiffy monitor?

klintdog

So if a guy is just looking for bw, ww, and yw's on some calves, the eBay scale can get the job done? Right now we have an older model that still has the counter weights and leads to lots of guessing. A digital readout and automatic 0 would definitely make life easier and more accurate for us. We'd occaisonally be weighing the bred heifer or 2-3 year old bull as well, so a plywood frame would probably not be heavy duty enough.

jason

Trying searching this site, I know there has been several discussions on scales bought from ebay.  Also a great idea for article to be written - anyone, anyone???  ;D

GLZ

Trying searching this site, I know there has been several discussions on scales bought from ebay

I am actually in one of those threads posing the same questions.  Haven't brought myself to pulling the trigger apparently.

Anyway I ask because I received a 10% coupon in "My Ebay" until the end of October if I pay using PayPal.  Current price of the scales is $525 - 10% off gets you down to $473.  If it works for $473 it is pretty much a steal in my very humble opinion.

braunvieh

We have  a Tru-Test and it is very nice. Very sophisticated system for storing all kinds of data on what you are weighing, then it can be downloaded to computer.

6M Ranch

We use Gallagher.  Found a new Smartscale 600 on Ebay for $600.  Bought the bars locally.  At that time, it was their top model.  Unless you're in a hurry, check Craigslist and ebay for a while.

SWMO

Tru-Test scales.  They have several different price points from the basic to the most sophisticated.

kdhansen

We have the Massload scales under the chute (which is on concrete)...We compared the TruTest, Norac and Massload before we went with the Massload (based on price, serviceability and warranty).  Very easy to use, and great customer service in getting us up and running... We have the 36" loadbeams and their digital readout indicator (it was their most popular model at the time). 

worthabit

StillLearning said:
What do you all use for scales?  I have been looking at purchasing scale bars for under my Priefert chute.  Any thoughts on that?  The only downside I can think of is getting my chute in the air high enough so that I can get the bars under it.  I will need to come up with some sort of patent to do that quickly. 

Anyone ever purchase these or ones like it?  Any thoughts on them?

http://cgi.ebay.com/5000lbX1lb-PORTABLE-4-H-LIVESTOCK-ANIMAL-FLOOR-SCALE_W0QQitemZ270288147882QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item270288147882&_trkparms=72%3A1419%7C39%3A1%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C240%3A1318&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14
Myself and a friend each bought a set of the MTI weigh scales on ebay and we are both very happy with them. We have just been using ours to weigh tote bags of grain but are planning to put them under our for most chute. Not sure how to connect them to it though as their are no bolt holes on the load bars and not sure if we should drill into them.

Cattledog

I bought those last year.  I think they work great!  As far as accuracy i know that it weighed me correctly.  The weight of my calves seemed pretty accurate.

simtal

we have tru test scales and use them a lot.  They are great.  I recommend them to anyone who is going the age and source route.  The last scalehead we got has bluetooth capability too.

BCCC

I also wouldnt put them under your chute. The wires are a pain in a$$. however if you really wanted to, take a front end loader and wrap a couple chains around the bars of the chute and lift just a tad. We have bought a set off ebay and I love them! We put them under our chutes at shows to get them at the perfect weight. and then at home we poured a slab of cement and set up an alley way to way pigs, and have another platform at the cattle barn to weigh the show calves. I wish I had some extra $$ to buy another set to cut down on the moving.

REM

Yes DL, spiffy monitor. Also, cost more because it has a 7' aluminium platform. I have to weigh at several locations and it adapts well.