School Is Going Vegan!! HELP

Help Support Steer Planet:

american honey

Recently at my high school a girl got enough signatures to ensure that now all meats will be replaced with soy! First of all this just go to show how much PETA and the HSUS is affecting my day and age. Folks, please help me out in the fight for agriculture to educate, inform as well as make sure things are correct facts. I need to step my game up, dose anyone have any ideas that I could considered doing? The adminstration office won't even set up a appointment because I am a Sophmore, so I need to figure how to work around the system! HELP! Cause I am not gunna step down.

Gargan

did a majority vote decide the fate of the lunch or just a "select few"? im all for a majority vote but usually a few liberal, radical brats can have a huge impact.

Okotoks

This should not be about a majority vote but about individual rights and the freedom to choose what you want to eat. ??? It's one thing to elect people to represent us in government but why should any group dictate personal preferences?
I can see Vegans wanting a vegan choice but if you want to eat meals with meat in them that too should be your choice. The trouble with today's society is everyone wants rules telling you whatyou can do. It was on the radio yesterday that French schools would limit the use of tomato kethcup in school in order to make sure students tried french quisine. The world is going crazy!

twistedhshowstock

This will probably turn into a legal nightmare for the school.  How many signatures did this girl get? Also I didnt realize that the school system was a democracy, last I understood the school administration had final say in what happened in schools regardless of what the students wanted.  Its set up that way for a reason, because if the students ruled then our education system would go further down the drain than it already has.  If the school administration is allowing these types of decisions to be made by the students then I would say what is being served in your cafeteria is the least of your school systems problems.

Shorthorns4us

Most school lunch programs are subsidized or required to have their menu content approved by the USDA-- lots of schools get discounted USDA food to put in the cafeteria.  I am guessing it not that easy to just say one day-- no meat and still expect to meet USDA standards for school lunch programs.

I fear for our country when it becomes "1984"-- we are closer everyday in my opinion.
EF

colosteers

Are you part of the FFA, sounds like it would be a good fund raiser to sell hamburgers and hot dogs at lunch time.  Set up gas grills in the parking lot and let the cooking smell bring in the meat eaters.  Show up in the lunch room with a steak sandwich lunch from home and eat it in front of everyone.  Give the soy about a week or two and then start your own pettition to get meat back on the menu.

I know a small group of people that are supposed to be vegetarians, but given the chance most eat meat when they get the chance.  If you have ever tried that phony stuff, it sure doesnt replace meat.  Most dont know how to cook it, so I cant believe that school cooks will make it any better--  that is why I said to give it a week or 2 and you can get enough signatures to change it.

just some ideas

ba

I see your from Indiana and the curiosity is killing this cat .would you divulge where at or PM me
because I guess it has came to us here in Indiana 

knabe

american honey said:
Recently at my high school a girl got enough signatures to ensure that now all meats will be replaced with soy!

does the number of signatures change depending upon one's viewpoint?

in other words, one should be able to gather the same number of signatures to eliminate vegan options.

how many votes does it take to elect school board members to fire the principal?

Ms Ray

I could see them giving an option, you and your parents should go to the school board and speak your mind about it.

Show 22

this is so stupid, this would not fly where I'm from and why is my only question
who does this little brat think that she is

Moezmom

Totally agree with Ms Ray.  This is something that needs to be taken to the school board by you and your parents.  A well written letter to the editor of your local paper might not hurt either.  Good luck!

LLBUX

This is my 32nd year in the classroom, so I have some basis of knowledge.

Sorry, but I can't see that happening.  I thinlk you are misinformed.  Sounds like a kid bragging that they got something done.  I see that a lot.

The trail to make a decision like that is just too long.  A principal or superintendant cannot make that happen by themselves.  As mentioned above, the lunch menu must be approved by the state.  It is heavily subsidized with meat, poultry and cheese. 

Only a small private school might be able to pull this off.  (And not in Indiana)

afhm

The "meat" being served is probably a majority soy already.  The school district most likely has a contract with its food provider and can't just change it all up without being breech.  Get your own petition going.

Blue25

take a fillet mignon wrapped in bacon to school for lunch and i bet half of those kids will want meat back.  it should be illegal for a school to become vegan

rarebirdz

Democracy was about free choice. When was it rewritten to exclude food from this choice? How'd people let that happen