Screw Toe in Ranch Hand progeny? *link added*

Help Support Steer Planet:

shorthorngirl2010

Was just curious, has anybody else run into this problem with Ranch Hand progeny?  Any feed back would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks in advance!
-Sam

DL

shorthorngirl2010 said:
Was just curious, has anybody else run into this problem with Ranch Hand progeny?  Any feed back would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks in advance!
-Sam

I don't know anything about the bull but screw toe (screw claw) is considered heritable

Bulldaddy

Well, I have used Ranchhand some and the calves come small and very good with now hoof problems.  Not sure where the screw toe is coming from.  Maybe your cows?

AdrienneHilbrands

I pulled this out of the article OH Breeder posted..... just in case not everyone takes the time to read it....

The heritability estimate (score) for screw claw is low (0.05) indicating that other factors such as
claw disease, inappropriate claw care, nutrition and management may play a more important role
in the condition.2 Corkscrew claw is observed most commonly in the lateral claws of the hind leg
in cattle older than 3.5 years of age.1, 3 The incidence of the condition may vary from 3-4% to
18.2%.1,4

We've had around a dozen Ranch Hand calves in the past two years and haven't seen this problem.

BadgerFan

Most things are heritable to some degree, but .05 is so low it would take more than a lifetime to affect that trait if someone purposely made selection for it.

DL

BadgerFan said:
Most things are heritable to some degree, but .05 is so low it would take more than a lifetime to affect that trait if someone purposely made selection for it.

Actually it generally shows up between 3 and 4 years of age - some advocate not using a young bull with any slight abnormalities in his hooves or any history of screw claw in his pedigree - but I suppose it depends on the ultimate use of the animals and the interest in the owner in trimming routinely