seam fat

Help Support Steer Planet:

knabe

should one be able to select for the seam fat to be moved into IM fat, or is this just overfeeding and a misread of harvest time?

cowz

I hope I understand your question fully, so I will try to answer.  Seam fat is the fat deposited between muscle groups, such as what you see in a chuck roast or a blade steak.

Additional seam fat does nothing to influence the marbling score, which is the level of intramuscular fat that the grader uses to assign a quality grade to the carcass.  To me, you must achieve a "threshold level" of seam fat to optimize your marbling, but, any external fat over .4" gets trimmed, and to a certain extent, excess seam fat gets thrown in the trim box too.

So to answer your ?, I think feeding for seam fat is a total waste.  Feedlot cattle in my opinion are done at .4 fat over the ribeye, save the corn and move on to the next calf.

CAB

Knabe your seam fat will be linked with your cover fat, or in other words, cutability. Will have little if anything to do with IMF. Breeding for higher cutability will reduce inter seam fat.