self control

Help Support Steer Planet:

knabe

a gal got this pic of our kelpie listening to daddy to "stay".  the calf was licking her nose.

sorry it's so big file size wise as it has a "heap" problem.

calf did the same thing to my daughter who held out grass for a long time.  i was more impressed by my daughter being patient, as she usually loses interest with delayed gratification, which is typical of kids that age.  i'll throw it up in a sec.

Attachments

• DSC_0047.gif
    DSC_0047.gif
    201.5 KB · Views: 873

red

so cute Knabe! love the little girl. Must have gotten her looks from mom!  ;)

Red

BRdoc

good pics Knabe. Have to TOTALLY agree with Red on this one!!! Way too cute to have very many Knabe genes!  :eek:

knabe

there's several in the field, but i think that one is white or white ladino which is basically a giant form of white clover, related to the lawn type?.  they have that kind of broad triangle water mark on the leaves.    and GB it is growing on top of where i dump my chicken manure.  this area is extremely compacted.  it's coming along rather nicely.

varieties,

subclover is kind of prostraty and has roundy leaves and produces seed IN the soil surface, i guess like peanuts
ladino  (a giant form of white clover)
crimson 
red clover  red has smaller water marks and red flowers supposedly low bloating
alsike clover
also some birdsfoot treefoil which supposedly doesn't cause bloating

and just for fun, i found one pasture mix that has yarrow in it, but didn't buy it, as it doesn't take much grazing.

here's an interesting seed website

http://www.pawneebuttesseed.com/seedlist_mixes.htm

and just because i keep plugging them

www.sucraseed.com  which i just planted some more high sugar perrenial hybid ryegrass this past weekend, and it's raining as i type this.

here's another site with some native grasses
http://www.directseedsales.com/region1.htm

i also have a few sprigs of grazing alfalfa which does well that i scatter seed.  can't find it in seed mixes too often.

i waste a lot of seed as i don't till the soil.  i let the cows graze the annual grassy weeds, ripgut brome, foxtail etc (all the broad leaves are gone including wild radish, mustard starthistle, bur clover, curly dock etc), then water it to 3-4 inches deep, spread seed, some fert, then water again.  our soil is so heavy and prone to wash away when disced and rained or sprinkled on, i dont' want any of it to get away.  it's also a reason i planted trees around the edge to collect my neighbors best soil, ie the dust.

sorry for being so wordy