Selling calves

Help Support Steer Planet:

SUL1

Why is it when you put a add on here people have to waste your time . I recently put a ad on here for a calf and people where burning up my phone with text emails and calls wanting more pics and videos telling me how nice he is trying to talk me down on price and telling me they want to come look at him at a certain time and day but never showed up . I guess my point is if your really not interested in the calf don't waste my time .

jason

Unfortunately, that is going to happen about anywhere.  I think the best way to weed out the tire kickers is to ask for phone calls only. 

AAOK

The past 46 years, in one way or another, I have been in Sales. The first rule in Sales is truly "The Customer is always right"!  A successful sale comes only after the seller has overcome all objections of the buyer, and has given them more than they expected.

There is no such thing as a potential customer wasting your time!  Time spent returning texts, emails, sending pics, etc is your investment in the care of your customer, which should be your only desire. A satisfied customer adds more value to your business than the Sale!

Practice, practice, practice this, or sell your calves at auction.

leanbeef

I have to agree...this is just part of selling ANYTHING. Yes...it's frustrating and it's irritating and it's rude when people say they are going to call back or come by, and then you never hear from them again. That's just part of the game. Take it for what it is and accept it as part of the process. Without putting yourself out there, you won't reach the real potential customers either.

If you're getting a lot of initial response with no final sales, you might consider the possibility that you're over pricing or that some other factor is keeping potential buyers from becoming buyers.

pweaver

Look at it the same way realtors  do when trying to sell a client a house.  They're going to show probably 10 properties or more before the buyer buys.  A buyer will also buy from another realtor after you spent countless time talking to them, looking for the properrties that fit their needs, and showing the properties.  You need to stay in touch with your buyers and make them feel you want them to show your calves, not just take their money.  One of the first things you do when contacted by a potential buyer is get their phone number.  If they come look and say they'll get back to you, give them a day or two and you call them.  If they call to get prices and info, give them a day or two and call them.  If you get their buying info, i.e. price range, how much and where weill they be showing, how committed are they to this project, what is their experience, you'll be better able to fill their wants and needs.  When you're selling, you need to know who you're selling to as much asd know what you're selling.

leanbeef

I'll add this as well... Don't think of every person who contacts you and doesn't buy as a "waste of your time". Do you think somebody saying that about you would make you want to go back and do business with that person in the future? I would encourage you to try to learn what you can from each person who contacts you and treat them with respect. You never know when that might be the reason they come back and give you their business in the future.

HAB

leanbeef said:
I'll add this as well... Don't think of every person who contacts you and doesn't buy as a "waste of your time". Do you think somebody saying that about you would make you want to go back and do business with that person in the future? I would encourage you to try to learn what you can from each person who contacts you and treat them with respect. You never know when that might be the reason they come back and give you their business in the future.

After being in the seedstock busines over 30 years, I agree completely.  I have answered a lot of calls, emails, and letters.  You never know which one of these inquiries come back and become a repeat customer.

jhumphries

AAOK said:

The past 46 years, in one way or another, I have been in Sales. The first rule in Sales is truly "The Customer is always right"!  A successful sale comes only after the seller has overcome all objections of the buyer, and has given them more than they expected.

There is no such thing as a potential customer wasting your time!  Time spent returning texts, emails, sending pics, etc is your investment in the care of your customer, which should be your only desire. A satisfied customer adds more value to your business than the Sale!

Practice, practice, practice this, or sell your calves at auction.
Thats right nobody who calls trying to buy is wasting your time even if they don't show up. Sales is all about building relationships with your customers.

Latest posts