Selling embryos from "carrier" Angus donor cows

Help Support Steer Planet:

chambero

Sell them the embryos as long you tell them they are from a carrier, make sure they understand what that means, and then it's their problem.  I certainly wouldn't offer them any kind of guarantees for carrier-free status of calves.  That's not in your control.

We run primarily a commercial herd.  We do have a few carrier cows running around.  This year we've lost around 15 calves this month during calving - all from starving coyotes, heat, premature birth, or various combinations thereof.  I have yet to ever lose a calf or a cow to a known genetic defect - thanks in large part to the information that DL and others helped get out.  But that's the point - the information is out and managable.  Having carrier females in a herd is way down on the totem pole of potential problems for commercial cattleman. 

Ag biz

I don't think you look at this as a profit standpoint. The cow is a carrier, the Angus breeders lost alot of money because of the different defects that is for sure. I think if ur customers are not looking for purely bull calves this situation can work. If they test the bulls and they come up positive carriers obviously it should be cut. If your looking for heifers and you get a carrier the heifer is not a throw away she just needs to be managed right. A positive heifer could still be used as a recip or used as a club calf mama depending on her pedigree. What do I think the embryo's are worth? I would say a third to half of the price if they were clean genetics. i think in your situation if it is half-blood simmys a dirty hfr. has its place as a clubby mama.

RSC

I may be interested in some embryos if you by chance flush her to Double Stuff!  (lol)

kfacres

RSC said:
I may be interested in some embryos if you by chance flush her to Double Stuff!   (lol)

the more potential lethal defects built into the pedigree-- the better I heard the calves would be... 

Breed her to ole DStuff, then come back with a marbel bone carrier, curly calf deal... and count me in... (lol)

aj

It would be interesting if some did raise a calf that was a carrier of every defect know to man. Would it be numerically possible with so much death loss?