Semen from several clubby bulls - what to do???

Help Support Steer Planet:

djbsimmy

I have a neighbor who retired from the clubby business a couple years ago.  He still has his tank and has said to use anything we want out of it.  I've not used a lot of clubbies but would like to produce couple terminal calves for my kids to show.  Can you tell me anything about these bulls and what type cow they work on?  He has I am Legend, Hannibal, Heatseeker, Almost Famous, Mossy Oak ,Pale Face, Dr Who, Vegas and Strictly Business. Thanks!

frostback

I have had a bit of experience with a few, so I will comment only on what I have used.
Hannibal- Use on the smallest shortest framed cows but with guts. Females are worth keeping and the steers may well be good easy feeders.
Almost Famous- Didnt work for us.
Mossy Oak- Use him on moderate cows, with something too them. Loved the females. Hes a PHA carrier.
Dr Who- You can use him on bigger cows. Again liked the females
Strictly Business- We never used him but I had a cow I loved and she made great steers. Still hoping for a heifer from her.

sizzler14

Strictly Business in my opinion is one of the most under-rated greatest bulls of all times. Notice how many cows you see poppin up everywhere out of him. If you get a female you got gold. If you get a heifer you just call me. i will take her off your hands. Dr.who and heat seeker is probably your best bet for steers. I would breed any cow in your pasture you have with heat wave anywhere in her pedigree to strictly business. Mossy oak is a full flush son which means you have to breed him to a cow with lots of guts and smaller made and you will strike gold.  Vegas is a th carrier but man if you got a powerhouse crossbred cow running around thats th clean, he is going to hair her up, pretty that calf up and make you $. Almost famous I have 10 straws of and use him to clean up. I saw a heck of a calf out of yellow jacket on a almost famous cow. he is a half brother to heat wave so he isnt junk. I would breed to him. hope it helps

sizzler14

the heifer in my profile pic is  a walks alone x strictly business

cowman 52

Bred  a lot of cows to strictly business, females are good and solid out of most any kind of cow, what bulls that do not make steers  do well on as commercial bulls, dispositions are good, size plenty big, we had a few horned cows and few were scured,

willow

We have a Mossy Oak cow.  She is a good cow and a great mother, but we have never had an amazing calf out of her.  We have a Pale face cow that is a tad course through her front end and a little larger framed.  I can say with the most certainty that didn't probably come from her mother, so use him on something that is pretty fronted.  That Pale Face cow is a pretty rotten mother and has a bad bag, but she has had some nice calves (which is the only reason we have kept her around).  Had a beautiful Dr. Who female we could just never get her AI'd so she went downthe road.  Good luck.

djbsimmy

Thank you, really helpful stuff here.  I wouldn't of given Strictly Business much thought before.  Lots of mating possibilities going through my head now!

furinsilex

Not a fan of Hannibal at all.  Yes you can make a decent looking female out of him on a short dumpy big bodied cow.  That being said we have found our hannibals are not only hard doing and high maitnance but also dont breed very well whats so ever. 

On the other hand we love Dr. Who got a ton of nice heifers out of him on several different types of cows.  The best ones though are out of deeper ribbed females for the most part.  Bred almost 1/3 of our herd to him for this year just to get some more of these females.

Limiman12

The Dr. who and heat seeker might be worth trying to sell......    Unless you are really sure what you want to do with it there might be someone out there that does know what they want to do with it and be willing to pay more then it is worth TO YOU......  Meaning they might want it to flush or be looking for it, and if your goal is a good terminal county fair type calf, you can by lots of semen that will do that for the price of a high dollar straw.