Semen tank

Help Support Steer Planet:

Tx Black Steer

I am thinking of starting to AI and talked to a guy today that wanted to sell me a semen tank. I was wondering what a good price for it might be. It is a Union Carbid 34 XT. He said it has a 24-26 month nitrogen length. It holds 600 straws or something like that? Is this a good tank and whats a good used price for it?

Doc

May be showing my stupidity here, but I didn't think any of them would hold for 2 years +. I thought 3 or 4 months was max length. New prices just google it & go to the web sites. I'm going to rough geuss It's worth about $200 to $300. Make sure it holds. You can get lucky sometimes if you put the word out that you are looking. I just bought a 3 week dry shipper with mushroom cover that looks brand new for $200.

CAB

There are tanks that will hold for 30 weeks and that is what I would recommend over a 4 month tank because you'll quickly pay for the price difference in tanks with the extra fill charges. The last time that I looked you could get a new tank for $550. I would say that $200 should stop the one that your neighbor has or I would go for a new one. JMO.

DLD

Yeah, the max holding time I've ever seen on a semen tank is 32 weeks, and that's going to cost over $1000 new.  But I don't believe that Union Carbide has sold tanks under that brand name for many years, at least all of the ones I've ever run across have been older, and I've sold semen for 20+ years, so I'm thinking you're looking at a $100 - $200 tank, max. 

Bulldaddy

Tx Black Steer said:
I am thinking of starting to AI and talked to a guy today that wanted to sell me a semen tank. I was wondering what a good price for it might be. It is a Union Carbid 34 XT. He said it has a 24-26 month nitrogen length. It holds 600 straws or something like that? Is this a good tank and whats a good used price for it?

You  probably meant 24 to 26 weeks, not months.  I don't know of a tank out there that would hold for 2 years (24 months).  I would ask the guy how old is the tank?  Why is he selling it?  Does it still hold like it did when it was new?  You can buy a good tank for $450 to $600 so I wouldn't pay more that $200 for a used one.  Also, holding time is more important than how many straws it will hold since most folks won't have more than a couple of hundred straws in their tank at a time.

I know of a good tank here in central Texas that is for sale.  If you are interested, pm me and I will give your the guys contact info--not me just someone I know.