Semen tanks

Help Support Steer Planet:

kanshow

Does anyone else keep semen in your tank that you know you'll never use? 

I was doing a year end inventory and there straws in our tank from bulls that we'll probably never use again.  Doubt it would sell and certainly can't throw it out!  LOL!!!

Jill

I would guess that 3/4 of the semen in our tank we will never use, it seemed like a really good idea at the time and you look back and wonder what you could have been thinking.

pigguy

i would say put it in the classified section and see if you can sell some of it

justintime

I would have to be 1000 and have a few thousand cows to use up the semen I have in storage. I have 4 tanks full of semen sitting here on the farm and also have another 3000 + straws stored at AI studs.I was to a point where I had to dump some semen to put any new semen in the tanks,here at home, so i fixed that problem by buying another two storage tanks as well as a couple of dry shipper tanks in the last year. The dry shippers are great for shipping semen or embryos when I sell some.
Every year or two I dump some that I know will never get popular again. One just never knows though. Last spring I sold over 200 vials of semen from bulls collected in the 70s. I had not used any of this semen in at least 25 years, and I priced it at 3 xs what it used to sell for and it sold almost immediately. I also lost a tank full of semen and embryos a few years ago when it broke and lost it's nitrogen. Just two weeks ago I had an inquiry about some semen from a sire that is dead and his semen is in very short supply. I had 4 straws that I thought I would use for flushing. I was offered $300 per straw and I decided that I could use some other sires for flushing and let the semen go.

KDSC

try to sell it first, if you cant sell,  keep it until you have no more room then start pitching it

shortdawg

Doc, I have some Bull Durham and Cherokee Canyon that needs to be added to your collection. ;D

Doc

shortdawg said:
Doc, I have some Bull Durham and Cherokee Canyon that needs to be added to your collection. ;D
I'll trade you some Ayatollah & Evergreen Seville for it or I'll try to help you sell it. ;) 
    Be careful on the road & I'll see you when you get here.

itk

Got you both beat, how about Little Cedar Reno. I went all out and bought 2 shares. To make it wose we have about 20 embryos in the tank sired by him.

CAB

I have some Monarch semen in my tank that is in amps. I think that there is still some old Limi semen in there also, but can't remember for sure. If there is, it is in amps also. I have too much juice that people have given me over the years. I'm a pack rat by genetics, I can hardly throw anything away.LOL. My wife would say, NOT FUNNY!!!

kanshow

(clapping) (clapping) I'm glad we aren't the only ones.     I don't even know how old some of this stuff is.   We have some in storage but this is just the odd 5 or 6 straws that I'm almost too embarrassed to admit I even have - but you never know when you might need to use an old bull....    

Several years ago, we went to NBI's dispersal sale and bought semen for $1 -3/ straw in lots of 50.   So we've got some pretty big numbers of some of the Simmi bulls they had at the time - Above Par, 3C Full Figures, SRS Franchise, Black Perfector, and can't remember what all we bought. .  Then when we went to pick it up, she stuck in several straws of some of their Jr. bulls.   I don't know what we'll ever do with those....  

CAB

Kanshow, do you know if there happens to be any Gen III in your tank? We had some awesome Gen III cows back when.

kanshow

Sorry..  No Gen III...     

I was hoping to find some 600U but apparently we used what we had. 

Doc

itk said:
Got you both beat, how about Little Cedar Reno. I went all out and bought 2 shares. To make it wose we have about 20 embryos in the tank sired by him.
Yea, your right , we came awful close to buying a share. That's one bullet I dodged for a change.

KDSC

i think i have you all beat  8) How about some Belgian blue, and beefalo semen??? any one?? i will give you it all (78 units) I have some Tartan(beefalo) and some Favourite(Belgian blue) (cow)

NHR

Doc said:
itk said:
Yea, your right , we came awful close to buying a share. That's one bullet I dodged for a change.

Ok, i am a little behind. What was the issue with Little Cedar Reno?

itk

I don't think there is a issue with Reno there was just alot of hype about him and like so many before him he was unable to meet it. I was there when Reno sold and I must admit he was a very impressive bull and he has a stellar pedigree. He sold for a record $120,000 dollars so one would think he would have been a dominate sire but he wasn't. He did sire some nice calves but nothing close to what was expected from him. He then came up THC and it all but halted his popularity. Semen was sold in packages of ten straws for $750 and like I said we bought 2. If he was just another bull nobody would have thought anything about it but with the big sticker price, endless hype and $75 dollar a straw semen he was disappointing.

shortyjock89

I'm glad we didn't get into the Little Cedar Reno hype...he looked nice, but I really haven't heard much from him since he came up THC.  We did buy a breeding share in K-Kim Gold Count, and not saying that he can't sire nice calves, but we've had better calves out of our home-bred Waukaru-genetics bull.