Semen testing Clubby display bulls

Help Support Steer Planet:

Bawndoh

How many people actually do this BEFORE they display their bulls and try to sell semen that hasn't been collected?  Does it matter if a bull only scores like 30% in all reality?  Do they still collect, and actually try to sell that crap?

RSC

Bawndoh said:
How many people actually do this BEFORE they display their bulls and try to sell semen that hasn't been collected?  Does it matter if a bull only scores like 30% in all reality?  Do they still collect, and actually try to sell that crap?
When Denver is in the King of Display bulls and it's in Mid January and a good majority of the Display bulls are born around March it's kind of difficult to get a good test when they're that young.

Tony

Bawndoh

I understand that, but there are some poeple that will have a 10 month old bull producing.  Its crazy, and IMO pushing it a little, but whatever.
After Denver, or any other promotional show, what if they don't score well?

Bawndoh

Freddy said:
Semen quality is a problem in clubby sires on a whole, if you don't believe me ask the guys that try using it for embryo's ....
So they basically DO still sell semen even if they basically failed a basic semen test?
Yeesh.  Poor people who are getting screwed. 

jackpotcattle

A bull can still pass a basic semen test and have poor quality straws. Alot of times a bull won't freeze the first couple times simply because he needs flushed out. IMO the poor quality comes from lower standards of freezing. I like to use ABS because I feel that they have the highest standards for semen quality.  Also, sometimes a young bull needs to breed a few cows before he will freeze. We had a bull 4 yrs ago that wouldn't freeze as a virgin, but he tried him after we pulled him off the cows and he gave 150 straws on one jump.

herefordfootball

I think there are a lot of problems with clubby semen quality, like jackpotcattle, we go through ABS because they have such high standards on semen. Its probaly your best bet to get quality club calf semen.

aj

Is there a standard for individuals selling semen that has to be met? Guidelines, etc.?

colosteers

Every bull stud has their own standards for what they will freeze and ship ---  or the junk they throw away.  I am talking about the studs that actually collect the semen and put it in the straws,  not the dealers or pimps that just sell and distribute.

Some have very high standards and others you would wonder if they even check it for quality.  I got some semen and couldnt get but about 10% conception--  had it checked and it was 70% abnormal cells.  The stud told me that I should get some calves from it ( what a joke)!

Any how --  its buyer beware and have a good one

jbh

herefordfootball said:
I think there are a lot of problems with clubby semen quality, like jackpotcattle, we go through ABS because they have such high standards on semen. Its probaly your best bet to get quality club calf semen.

Most bull owners have virtually NO CONTROL over the quality of the semen that is frozen on their bull.......they make that decision basically by their choice in collection facility.  ABS does not necessarily collect all the bulls they promote....however,  they do check most collections they receive before they sell it.....that is to be commended.

Bulldaddy

I have had excellent results form the clubby semen that I have bought recently including WMW, Monopoly, Walks Alone and Tyson.  It came from either ABS or Matt Lautner. I think it makes a lot of difference who you buy the semen from.  The guys who are in it for the long haul are going to do quality checks and only sell good semen.  As far as young bulls producing freezable semen, bulls on a good feed program are going to produce viable semen sooner that bulls run on pasture.  So, yes, it is possible for yearling bulls to produce quality semen.  It it up to the owner of the bull not to misrepresent it in order to make as fast buck.

DakotaCow

Genex also has set high standards for their semen quality, since they export genetics all over the world. As far as the added attraction sires and clubby bulls, they must be collected at genex facilities and meet the same standards that any other beef bull in their lineup needs to meet.

herefordfootball

We did a flush with the Heat Wave semen on the Druckenmiller auction from Lautner, and my ET guy said the semen was good quality, and all the ABS semen we've gotten has been excellent quality.

Bulldaddy

DakotaCow said:
Genex also has set high standards for their semen quality, since they export genetics all over the world. As far as the added attraction sires and clubby bulls, they must be collected at genex facilities and meet the same standards that any other beef bull in their lineup needs to meet.

I agree, Genex semen is excellent quality.  Probably for the reasons you mention, they do not carry many of the top clubby bulls.