Setting up cows to flush

Help Support Steer Planet:

mechanic

we are starting to get ready to flush 3 cows in the next month. These cows are getting some corn and oats and good hay combined with free choice minerals. I am interested in khowing if anyone out there has a feeding program that they put their flush cows on inorder to maximize results. We have not done alot of this and am open to any and all suggestions that might help.

Mechanic

Jill

Sounds like your doing fine, what we have always been told and agree with from experience, the condition of the recips is way more important than the condition of the donor.

mechanic

Thanks Jill; We have been sending our eggs to Trans-Ova to be put in. Those crusty black-white faced receipts make good momas for us.

KDSC

If I rember right Cowboy has said not to feed the donors any grain, Just alfalfa hay, and Vita-farm mineral but  idk :'(

Show Heifer

From my experience: Keep the donor cows and recep cows on a program that they are familiar with. Don't go changing anything right before flushing or transplanting. Have much better luck if everything stays the way the cows know it!!!
Good Luck!!

red

biggest problem we run into iis fat recips. Our ET guy screams about those.
I agree w/ Show Hef  :eek:, keep them on what they're used too. Changing something might through more of a monkey wrench into the problem. After the flushing then make any changes.

Red