Sexed Sheriff Taylor semen

Help Support Steer Planet:

CAB

Was wondering if anyone used any of the sexed Sheriff Taylor semen & if so, what kind of conception results did you get?

Show Heifer

I heard from ABS that his sexed semen never passed quality control. Is there some on the market?

CAB

Jen I was @ an ABS meeting last night & he did pass & sold out. He is not scheduled to be back in the stud until possibly next fall. Then will depend on availability of the sexing equip. and demand whether or not they will be able to sort some more.

Bulldaddy

I don't know about the sexed semen but the couple of ST's that I have seen are not very impressive. Has anybody seen a good number of them?

Show Heifer

Glad he passed. My ABS rep told me that this morning while I was inquiring about Ranch Hand sexed semen.
He also told me to expect about a 10% decrease in conception when using ABS sexed semen.

rtm

I've only had a few ST calves, 2 last year. And a couple this year so far. One heifer calf last year was real nice, that was sold to Alabama, she was out of a 6807 cow. I really like the body and mass she had, not really choke fronted like some of the club calf sired calves but was real useful. She was Res. Champ Foundation Simm out I think the Georgia national.
I have a heifer calf born this year I'm real excited about, that is out of a nice Heat Seeker cow. I plan on using him a little heavier this year. He is going to work on some of them dirty cows out there.

Bulldaddy

rtm said:
I've only had a few ST calves, 2 last year. And a couple this year so far. One heifer calf last year was real nice, that was sold to Alabama, she was out of a 6807 cow. I really like the body and mass she had, not really choke fronted like some of the club calf sired calves but was real useful. She was Res. Champ Foundation Simm out I think the Georgia national.
I have a heifer calf born this year I'm real excited about, that is out of a nice Heat Seeker cow. I plan on using him a little heavier this year. He is going to work on some of them dirty cows out there.

Thanks. Maybe I will try him again on some different kind of cows.

Throttle

Show Heifer said:
Glad he passed. My ABS rep told me that this morning while I was inquiring about Ranch Hand sexed semen.
He also told me to expect about a 10% decrease in conception when using ABS sexed semen.

What did you find out about the Ranch Hand? Available?

kanshow

Is there any difference in the shelf life on the sexed semen?    I mean what's going to happen if it's stored several years?    There should be a difference, yet it has been subjected to a little different handling than the normal straight run semen. 

Show Heifer

Throttle said:
Show Heifer said:

What did you find out about the Ranch Hand? Available?

Ranch Hand is available, as is his sexed semen. $50 per straw and must buy in units of 5.(Sexed semen)
He is on sale now at $20 until Mar 31, then I believe he is $25-30. (Those prices are NOT sexed semen.)

BadgerFan

kanshow said:
Is there any difference in the shelf life on the sexed semen?    I mean what's going to happen if it's stored several years?    There should be a difference, yet it has been subjected to a little different handling than the normal straight run semen. 

No difference as long as it's stored in LN2.  Like conventional semen.

Throttle

Would Ranch Hand sexed heifer be a pretty sure bet, as far as calving average age and size 1st calf heifers goes?

kanshow

Throttle, we had some Ranchhand calves out of first calf heifers last fall.  They were heifer calves - came out small and have grown like crazy.    I plan on using him again and with sexed semen, there'd be a 90%(?) chance of getting heifers - I'll be doing that.

CAB

Accelerated carried ( X ), sexed semen on Built Right last year for $45.00/unit. That would work on heifers and should give some good replacement heifers.

kanshow

What percent sexed do they guarantee?    I have been told that  it's only a certain % accurate but for the life of me I cannot remember what that is. 

rtm

your conception rate it going to drop around 10% from what you normally get. It vary's between producers, but that 10% is going to be close. If you normally run a 80% conception rate you would expect around 70% with sexed semen. If you normally run 60% I would expect 50% with sexed semen. I do a lot of custom AIing and that is what I'm seeing and what other people in the business have been getting as well.

kanshow

I guess I wasn't very clear on what I was asking...  What percent of your calves will be heifers?  I know it is not 100%.