sexed simmental semen

Help Support Steer Planet:

simbman

Does anyone know which of the simmental bulls you can get sexed semen on, and who has it?

CAB

Go look @ all of the sire directories. Most of them are carrying sexed semen now. ABS,Genex,Accelerated Genetics,Select Sires, and I'm sure that there are more along with all of the private deals

The Show

Select Sires had sexed semen on Grandmaster, but they ran out and his concentration levels weren't high enough to get any more. That's been over a month ago. Not sure if they have gotten anymore since then.

Fat Butt sexed semen is only being sold via auction.

I believe Owen Brothers sold some sexed semen on Rendition in their sale last year so I would look forward to them having more in their sale this year.

That's all I can think of off the top of my head, but I know there's more.

simbman

Thanks to all of you guys for your help.  Have any of you used this sexed semen with good results?  If so would you recommend it?

CAB

All of the data points to 10/15% worse results using sexed semen when compared to conception rates with conventional semen.

The Show

I know a guy who bred 5 of his best cows with Grandmaster heifer sexed semen and ended up with 4 bulls and 1 heifer.

SEA

The Show said:
Select Sires had sexed semen on Grandmaster, but they ran out and his concentration levels weren't high enough to get any more. That's been over a month ago. Not sure if they have gotten anymore since then.

Fat Butt sexed semen is only being sold via auction.

I believe Owen Brothers sold some sexed semen on Rendition in their sale last year so I would look forward to them having more in their sale this year.

That's all I can think of off the top of my head, but I know there's more.

I tried to order some Grandmaster sexed semen from Select Sires in December and my area sales rep checked on him and said that there is no supply on hand for him right now and he is not now currently at stud.  He claimed the bull is "back at the ranch" and they do not expect to get him back into the stud until late winter.  Sounded like they were not sure when.  So I cancelled my order and went another route.

SIMMY BREEDER

If GM is at the barn they better let me know where they put him , he probably needs a roll of hay, have asked to get him back around louisville time and have not heard anything, the sexed semen is gone  but still producing regular semen fine, he does need to breed cows after a year and a half on concrete though and will probably help with the sexed semen production next fall.

SEA

SIMMY BREEDER said:
If GM is at the barn they better let me know where they put him , he probably needs a roll of hay, have asked to get him back around louisville time and have not heard anything, the sexed semen is gone  but still producing regular semen fine, he does need to breed cows after a year and a half on concrete though and will probably help with the sexed semen production next fall.

Interesting!!  Guess I will no longer beleive either Select Sires or their Rep!!!!  <rock>

hereford

Most all bulls that have been sorted see a sexed semen conception rate that is 85% of what you would see with conventional semen.

Thats ok when you have a significant value in gender difference between your bulls and heifers. You can afford a slight decrease in conception rate because you get a lot higher number of the types of calves that you need that are worth more money. If the value in gender difference between your calves is $200 or more, its a good idea.

Just make sure that if you are flushing, you're using the 5.0 million dose straws and not the 2.1 million dose straws.

firesweepranch

SIMMY BREEDER said:
Your more than welcome to bring him by my place to breed a few purebred simmis.  I would promise to give him a bale of hay and anything else he wanted  ;) ;D

simbman

I have a friend who has used the Grandmaster sexed semen with great results.  He ended up with a pretty decent heifer that is on the show circuit here in texas.  It was him who first introduced me to the idea.  Dreamcatcher is a bull that I had on my short list with Grandmaster, Star Power, Built Right, or Macho.  Any one know if those bulls are a possibility?