She just sucks!

Help Support Steer Planet:

Show Heifer

Now that I have your attention!!! ;D
I have a yrling heifer (pprox. 14 months old) that still nurses another yrling heifer (a show heifer). That is the only one she sucks.
I have tried one of those thing-a-ma-jigs that you put in their nose and it has points on it, and that stopped it until it fell out about month later. Is there anything else I can try or should I just sell her? ???
When I weaned her I didn't notice anything until about Feb/Mar. But that doesn't mean she wasn't sneaking around!
Any ideas???? ???

sjcattleco

I have a cow or 2 that do it.. I just break it up when I see it but other than that I ignore it... Calf still looks good so I figure she is not doing it that much....

red

I've been told that if they let others suck from them then they might let calves steal from them when they have their own. found out that wasn't true by my show heifer that let the calves nurse from her before she calved. She fights the little buggers off now & just lets her baby nurse.
I'll admit it is fustrating to see. I never had much luck w/ those can't nurse rings either in dairy calves.

Red