Sherriff Talyor

Help Support Steer Planet:

Aussie

Does anyone have any experience with this bull over pure angus cows. I live in Australia and this is the closest I can get to a Club Calf bull. Commets Please

Telos

I thought Sheriff Taylor had the genetics to be a good cow maker. There's a video of him. I'll try and find it.

I think most of us are curious about your beef cattle shows. Do you have steer shows and if so are they competitive and family oriented? Do you frown at our club calf genetics? Is semen difficult to import (Heat Wave etc.)? We would be interested in how your shows generally work.

Thanks in advance.

cwbyup62

I did a mature picture and video of this bull last week.  I am probably considered prejudice about this bull as he is out of one of my donors, but I own none of him.  He was out of some embryos we sold out of Aunt Bea.  The bull looks phenominal, ultra sound, tremendously thick and great looking from a profile standpoint.  I will get to that photo soon and put it up on here.  He will certainly work on Angus cows.  I believe he is one of the few club calf oriented bulls that can be used strongly in a commercial situation.  In talking with some ABS Reps last week it was discussed that he can actually go that way.  His calves are really big bellied and ultra sound, very maternal.  I would not be afraid to use this bull with any concerns.  I am not sure they are freaky enough, unless bred to a market heifer that is extreme to raise that freak, but they are really complete and good cattle after seeing two calf crops out of him.

cwbyup62

Here is the new picture of Sheriff Taylor.  i think it is self explanatory.  I took about fifteen seconds to snap this and we just quit, did not think we needed to take anymore.  By the way, he has a tremendous attitude, could brush him off and oil him lose in a big lot and put fly spray on him.  He seems to pass it on to his progeny also.

Attachments

• www Sheriff Taylor.jpg
    www Sheriff Taylor.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 247

cwbyup62

I guess the other comment I should put with this was that he was pulled out of the pasture an hour before I got there to do the picture and he has been running on pasture with about 30 cows for a while now and we just washed him and took this picture.  He was slick sheared about two weeks prior to picture.

Aussie

Our led steer shows are mostly Hoof and Hook with up 250 strs entered. A large proportion of these strs are prepared by schools with some private studs and fitters showing. A committee of us are looking to do a led str circut in our state which will be fairly new for here. Up till now their has been little demand for xbred calf club bulls and with all the health protcols to bring semen in making it to expensive.

RedCowsRule

I live not too far from STCC and have seen him in the flesh, running with cows. He is as thick and stout of a bull as I have seen, while still remaining sound and attractive. We have a daughter out of another clubby sired cow that is awesome and have flushed a couple to him, hoping to get some more females. I'd use him in a heart beat again.

frostback

That is a awesome photo of a mature bull, but I believe that the proof is in the puddin and I too would love to see some photos of calves. Also what is the pedigree of him again?

cwbyup62

It has been a year and my pics do not have the pedigree listed with them, but I believe this was two of the first calves out of this bull.  The top one brought a little over $10000 in the Foundation Female sale last year if I remember correctly.  I could be wrong on any of this, but I think it is close, my memory is not what it used to be.  He is a Macho out of Aunt Bea who was a WMW x Meyer.  She was Champion Percentage female at KC the first year they had a percentage show, and won several other shows.  We did also invitro her to In Dew Time a couple of years ago, getting a heifer that Troy Jones of Ohio purchased, that is the only times she has ever been crossed Simmental.

Attachments

• 141   www.jpg
    141 www.jpg
    140.9 KB · Views: 181
  • 103   www.jpg
    103 www.jpg
    154.5 KB · Views: 178

shakes

I really like the mature picture of him, but I haven't seen many calves out of him to justify me using him.

kanshow

What kind of cow does he work best on?   

I've seen a few nice ST heifers around this spring.    I have no idea what the cows are like but the heifers are good enough that I AI'd some of our cows to him. 

Silver

He is definitely a cow maker, not a lot of power in him, but makes good calves. I have a sheriff heifer bred to a stout maine/angus bull. If she doesn't work as a club calf producer at least she can cut it as a commercial cow.