Sherwood's Red Vision

Help Support Steer Planet:

Dooling1

Thinking of using this bull. Does anybody have an opinion of him or seen any calves? What does he work best on?

I know that Razor's used him pretty well, but they also have fantastic cows too.

Thanks in advance.

red

I've seen some Red Vison calves in sales & they look really good. In fact I have some in the tank but just haven't decided what to use him on. Any suggestions on what he works best on?

Red

shortdawg

I went through the Red Visions out at WHR and they were really nice. I talked to the guy that owns him out at the Jr. Nat'ls and he said they sold like hotcakes. They were showing a young calf out of him that was pretty good and she was one that hadn't sold.

NHR Shorthorns

I like the bull, think he has great looking calves.
Only things I dont know about the Double Vision breeding, sometimes those calves look great the first year.
Then not so well later in there show career. Hope Red Vision proves me wrong then we can start using him.
Jim Sherwood produced an awsome bull. Queen Trump female is awsome, but still leary about the Double Vision well see what happens!

red

RedVision2_small1.jpg

Red Vision

shorthorns r us

if you plan to keep any heifers, i would find out he he takes the milk out like DV. one generation and it is gone!

red

Here comes a typical stupid "Red" question- If Double Vision has that poor of milking traits- why is he so popular? Steers or showheifers that no one cares?

Red  :)))

OH Breeder

That is true, depends on what you cross your double visions with. I have two that go to DV and they are great milkers, one is REd Knight on the other side which helps her and the other is Com. Maine x Ang. So that helps. Both milk great! It seems very dependant on cow side.

NHR

I saw a Red Vision heifer 2 years ago that did great as a calf but never grew after the 12 month age which concerns me. I would wait and see with these latest breedings what happends before I would consider using him. Personally I wont use him because of the Double Vision genetics. DV is good for club calf but I am working on producing seedstock and heifers for Major shows.

Just my opinion!

justintime

Here is a picture of a Double Vision son that I raised and used on my commercial black cows.His first daughters are now in production and they are awesome milking females. His bull had a mother that milked well though. I used him for 3 years and a commercial man asked me to price him. Seeing that I have always felt that all animals had to have a price, I obliged him and set the price where I thought he wouldn't bite. I delivered him a few days later after I collected a few straws fo semen for my own use. As a bonus he was TH free and I do need to get him tested now for PHA

We cannot get Double Vision semen in Canada, but it was perfectly legal to the cow into North Dakota, breed her and bring her home the same day.This was actually suggested by my federal Vet.  We flushed her and got 18 grade 1 embryos. This, of course, was when we could get cattle across the US border.

Attachments

• HC Street Legal - 12-05.jpg
    HC Street Legal - 12-05.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 553

red

JIT- now I like him!
I bet the border being closed has put a cramp in your business.

Red

justintime

Red,
  Seeing that we live 30 miles from the US border, almost directly north of the ND/ Montana state line, the border closure crimpled our business big time at first.Prior to the border closing, we were selling about 1/4 to 1/3 of our breeding stock to the US, so it was a big whammy when it closed. When it stayed closed, for a few months and showed no signs about reopening, it became a real concern as our US sales probably made up close to 40% of our income.
I decided that I had two choices.. 1. to sit here and feel sorry for myself and watch my operation wither up and slowly die, or 2.) start to develop new markets and look at ways to continue to access the US market. I did that by starting to do much more ET work as washed embryos are sterile, and therefore can be sent to many countries. Looking back, the US / Canadian border closure may have actually been a good thing for me, as it forced me to start to really get serious about marketing, and to really work at building sales in my own area. I increased my advertising and actually doubled my US advertising despite the fact that live cattle could not go south. I also offered any American who wished to purchase cattle  the option of paying 50% down and the balance when the border opened. I have never charged any of my US buyers anything for keeping these cattle here for over 4 years now. We have flushed some of these better females and sent embryos to the American owner. One breeder, has received over 50 embryos from a cow he has never seen or never fed.
I just grabbed my year end statements from my files, as I was not even sure as to how close we were to selling as many $ of cattle now as we did when the last year the border was open. I have just got my 2006 year end numbers from my accountant and looking back to pre BSE years, we sold almost 35% more dollars of breeding stock last year than we did in any of the 3 years prior to the border closing.
Do I want the border open? Of course I do, as I have always felt that the North American beef industry is very unique in that it is truly a North American marketplace. I hear lots of complaints from  friends in the US about the numbers of Canadian cattle going south to be sluaghtered. That is very true, but it makes perfect sense when you look at all the facts. Most of the feeding industry in Canada is in Western Canada and the large packers in the midwest are reasonably close. Most of the Canadian population is in the eastern part of the country, and there are thousands of tons of boxed beef from the US that go to eastern Canada to supply thebeef demand there. It is simply not a one way street. Our big packers are also your big packers and they have forced this to occur. It just didn't happen. We used to have numerous packers here, but they have almost entirely been forced out of business by the huge US packers.
When you look at this in geographic trms, I live 1560 miles from Toronto. I am only 780 to Omaha, 800 to Denver, and 1000 miles to Chicago and Kansas City. I am 50 miles closer to Louisville than I am to Toronto.
I am still hopeful this border issue will be resolved soon. In the meantime, I now know that I can survive until it does as this has forced me to find new ways to sell my cattle.

red

I hope someone is keeping track of your information & your thoughts. I personally would love to see you put something together about the Shorthorn's history & your experiences. I know several people have thanked me that you have joined our group. I certainly can't take any of the credit, but I like them, am very glad you have!

Red

justintime

Red,
thanks for the compliments!  I am only a guy who has chased cows virtually all of my life except for a few winters when I was away at college ( but I usually worked cattle sales on weekends then as well). I have done lots of things wrong, believe me!!!! But as the old saying goes, " there is no such thing as failure, until one quits trying." Hopefully, I have learned from some of my mistakes along the way, but I am certain I will probably make more.
I have always thought I would try writing some of my experiences out, but I have decided that the only way I could ever find time would be if I was sent away to jail for awhile...... but then, I have always wanted to learn to play the guitar too.. I guess I will have to take some hostages when I decide to rob that bank!