shorthorn ai sires

Help Support Steer Planet:

the angus111

i need a shorthorn sire that will add frame and is calving ease,also th free.feast on that all you shortie experts.rusty

red

by far no Shorthorn expert, so not sure about his BW's but what about Red Vision?
I always liked his calves that I've seen.

Red

shortyjock89

Not sure if I would use Red Vision for calving ease, he is out of Double Vision, and you can get some big ones out of DV and his sons.  You need frame and no genetic defects, you say...hmmmmm.  CCC Gold Rush is an excellent bull and can be used on heifers.  I bought a bull out of him and I'm  really happy with him.  Also, if you can get the semen, Studer's Prince James is also a very good bull and can give you some very nice calves.

the angus111

a little more info ,she is thc,out of double vision.you can see her on aegerters site and she is out of my 207 donor,that is on our site.rusty

shortyjock89

the angus111 said:
a little more info ,she is thc,out of double vision.you can see her on aegerters site and she is out of my 207 donor,that is on our site.rusty

Well, I looked at the picture and decided that she is a really good heifer from what I can see.  Gold Rush would work on her I think...He is the sire of Schrag's newest bull (Deadwood), and also the sire of our new herd bull, DMS Magic Man...Perhaps that is a name to remember, because we think he can sire the right kind of calves when he gets a little older..

CCC Gold Rush is out of  Armstrong Gold, and a Trump cow..He goes back to some great bulls such as Improver 57 and  Rodeo Drive.  If you want to see a picture and learn more about Gold Rush, go to www.diamondmshorthorns.com and look at the Herd Sires page.  He is a very impressive animal.  Also, I encourage you to get in contact with either Dave or Stu McFarland if you are serious about using him.  They are really nice folks and will help you out any way they can. 

OH Breeder

AA 111 I am not sure what sites you are referencing? Where is the sight of the heifer located and what is your sight?
I might have an answer for you once I see her.

the angus111

OH BREEDER, the sw pigguy is correct,the heifer is the double vision on aegerters website under private treaty listings.my 207 is on my donors page.rusty

the angus111

Elbee, thanks I need to head up that direction,itk used to brag about the shorties up northeast.who is  handling Titan semen?RUSTY

justintime

Rusty, 
Not sure exactly what you are looking for, but Saskvalley Pioneer 126P may interest you. He was 2006 Canadian National Champion and won Supreme over all breeds at Lloydminster against many of the best bulls of other breeds. He is TH free, and smooth polled. So far all calves have been polled and all have been unassisted at birth. He's what I would call a moderate framed bull but still weighed 2100 at 25 months and was 2410 at 32 months. We lost him in April . He was extremely sound on his feet and legs and had 46 cm testicles. He was intensely line bred so he should breed pretty true. So far, we are really pleased with his calves. They are some of our very best. We have semen at Hawkeye.

Attachments

• Saskvalley Pioneer 126P- CWA- front shot sm.jpeg
    Saskvalley Pioneer 126P- CWA- front shot sm.jpeg
    28.2 KB · Views: 594

shortdawg

After seeing him in person, I was impressed with WHR (RT?) Spike Junior. He is sired by AR SU LU Golden Spike out of the famed SS Augusta Pride 3127. Spike is a heifer bull used by Cates and WHR. I have used him successfully on heifers but he does downsize a little. I don't think Spike Junior will do much downsizing. That Gold Rush bull would also be a good option; I've seen some good calves out of him.

sjcattleco

shortdawg said:
After seeing him in person, I was impressed with WHR (RT?) Spike Junior. He is sired by AR SU LU Golden Spike out of the famed SS Augusta Pride 3127. Spike is a heifer bull used by Cates and WHR. I have used him successfully on heifers but he does downsize a little. I don't think Spike Junior will do much downsizing. That Gold Rush bull would also be a good option; I've seen some good calves out of him.

Short

the shorthorn breed needs to change soo bad its scary and IMO any serious breeder does not see that is holding the breed back!!! I was at our state show and the number of cattle that were too tall, out of balance, long necked, frail and dairy appearing was unbelieveable..Bulls and heifers alike.... And these were show cattle shown by people that have been in the breed for years.....Scares me to death....If I did not like my horns soo much I would own Red Angus cows.  The original post wanting a bull to add frame and calving ease??? there are not 10 cows in North America that need to have frame added to them... I can't stress enough that these cattle need to be wider to add weight and performance NOT TALLER!!!!! Also we can't use the same old stuff for the last 15-20 yrs and expect that to work because it really hasn't so why keep trying? 

the angus111

sj, the reason i wanted to mate her to a sire to add frame is because i would like to keep her and she is borderline lowliner.if shorties wanted to start lowlines she might be a founding dam.the shorties i see have no problem with volume .i have two that have plenty of guts.come to some jackpots in oklahoma and you will see width.i dont think a 800# at the most should be calving out 100#calves.rusty

Doc

sjcattleco said:
shortdawg said:

Short

the shorthorn breed needs to change soo bad its scary and IMO any serious breeder does not see that is holding the breed back!!! I was at our state show and the number of cattle that were too tall, out of balance, long necked, frail and dairy appearing was unbelieveable..Bulls and heifers alike.... And these were show cattle shown by people that have been in the breed for years.....Scares me to death....If I did not like my horns soo much I would own Red Angus cows.   The original post wanting a bull to add frame and calving ease??? there are not 10 cows in North America that need to have frame added to them... I can't stress enough that these cattle need to be wider to add weight and performance NOT TALLER!!!!! Also we can't use the same old stuff for the last 15-20 yrs and expect that to work because it really hasn't so why keep trying? 

SJ , I don't understand how we can supposedly have soo many problems with the breed but yet you are willing to keep raising them. I definitely don't think that the Red Angus breed is the answer to all of our prayers & the perfect breed. But if that is what floats your boat then I say go for it & change breeds.As far as looking for a bull for a heifer I would be looking for an easy calver & one that will maintain frame score. Get that 1st calf on the ground alive & without hurting the mother. I don't disagree with you that a lot of cattle today need to be wider based(not all of them) but I'm going to have to respectfully disagree with you that there aren't any cattle out there needing to have frame added to them. I also don't understand how the same old stuff hasn't worked for the last 15-20 years but yet there is quite a few people that make a living with Shorthorn cattle, so obviously it has worked for them. :)

DL

Doc - I agreed with your other post an dI pretty much agree with this one here.

Blanket statements about how there aren't 10 Shorthorn cows in all of America (how about Canada) that need to add frame is not really helpful when someone who knows what they want and has aprogram asks for assistance - The A3 - I am waiting on Gozmo to decrease frame and hopefully give me a heifer on my big red Maine cow, so it doesn't look like I can help you, but if you decide to start the Shortline breed I know where we can get some help (lol)

the angus111

it is kind of funny,what got me interested in shorties other than maternal traits,was they had width ,big square hips and i am going to kill myself for treason,but didnt have that angus defect,noassotosis.angus has changed as well as chis on frame size over the years.rusty (probably impeached)