Shorthorn at ohldes

Help Support Steer Planet:

aj

I heard olhdes had a 3 year old shorthorn bred similar to jakes proud jazz. Semen was to be available. I think he was to have gone way back to 6807 and came up through the appendix program. Any one know? I noticed fischer had a leader 21st son also. Thanks in advance. ;D

justintime

I have 3 ET calves arriving in late Feb/08 sired by Leader 21st. I am hoping one will be a polled bull that will be good enough to be a herdsire and possible AI sire. I have attached a picture of the donor I selected for this flush. She is Shadybrook Presto 73G . She is a massive cow that has been an excellent producing female. I thought she would cross well with Leader 21st seeing she is a larger framed cow and has a perfect udder at 11 years of age. She is pictured here last summer at 10 years of age. We have sold embryos from her to 5 countries in the past 4 years.

Attachments

• Shadybrook Presto 73G x- 2007sm.jpg
    Shadybrook Presto 73G x- 2007sm.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 666

knabe

whoa.  that shoulder area is extremely impressive, as well as the hooks area.  well, just the whole topline.  stopped just like i like em.

aj

That is pretty cool . I think we can use those old bulls.They may be a bit wasty but on the PUREBRED shorthorn cows I think they may work. I guess the udders were a little iffy on those old lines?

garybob

aj said:
That is pretty cool . I think we can use those old bulls.They may be a bit wasty but on the PUREBRED shorthorn cows I think they may work. I guess the udders were a little iffy on those old lines?
Unfortuneately, that's what I heard, but,guys like Ray Eidiger, Chris Carlson, Gary Kaper, Otis Fisher,Ed Rinkhoff,and the Kaehler's & Jeff Stangeland & the entire Montana Shorthorn Association would tell you otherwise. Those guys never got too far away from those old bloodlines.

shortyjock89

Yeah, Mr. Kaper has alot of cows bred similar to that and the udders on his cows look just as good as any..I guess you just have to cull really hard for maternal qualities. 

garybob

shortyjock89 said:
Yeah, Mr. Kaper has alot of cows bred similar to that and the udders on his cows look just as good as any..I guess you just have to cull really hard for maternal qualities. 
Who bought the ones he had for sale  this past summer? Woulda loved to get the "Helianthus" cows outta "Port'O Call".

shortyjock89

You know, I'm not sure..I really like the Port O Call females...Mr. Kaper was telling me that he hasn't bought a female since the 70's or something like that..  Looks like he's doing just fine, and he didn't get into any of those fads.  We would have bought one of his heifers, but he didn't have any the right age when we went to look.

iowa

AJ,  Jake has a 3 year old son of Jazz that became his Sr herdsire after he sold Jazz.  I believe they call him Prince.  I am not sure what the bottom side is, but I don't believe he is an appendix with 6807 in the background.  I have video of him, but no pictures.  Tim and Trudy were trying to get him up to Vogler's Semen Centre to get him collected. I was at Ohlde's 2 weeks ago picking up couple of BWF Hereford/Beefresian bulls for my uncle. I didn't have enough room on the trailer or I would have dropped off Prince at Voglers.  I have attached a picture of 2 heifers that Jake is keeping out of Prince. Also, I have attached a picture of a 12 year old Jake's Pride daughter that looks more like a 5 year old cow, to give you an idea of what their shorthorn cows look like.

Attachments

• ia1.jpg
    ia1.jpg
    86.4 KB · Views: 490
  • ia2.jpg
    ia2.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 474

garybob

iowa said:
AJ,  Jake has a 3 year old son of Jazz that became his Sr herdsire after he sold Jazz.  I believe they call him Prince.  I am not sure what the bottom side is, but I don't believe he is an appendix with 6807 in the background.  I have video of him, but no pictures.  Tim and Trudy were trying to get him up to Vogler's Semen Centre to get him collected. I was at Ohlde's 2 weeks ago picking up couple of BWF Hereford/Beefresian bulls for my uncle. I didn't have enough room on the trailer or I would have dropped off Prince at Voglers.  I have attached a picture of 2 heifers that Jake is keeping out of Prince. Also, I have attached a picture of a 12 year old Jake's Pride daughter that looks more like a 5 year old cow, to give you an idea of what their shorthorn cows look like.
Where's the Pics? Send 'em to my Email address listed on my profrile, if you have time. I'm very intrigued.

iowa

Garybob, I posted them and they are too big and I have tried to resize, but I had Lasik surgery on Thursday and I am still not seeing clearly!  I sent them to Red to resize and post them to my first reply.

shortyjock89

Wow, that cow really looks like the pics of "old school, real Shorthorns" that I've seen from back a few decades ago.  Shes really impressive.