Shorthorn Blood Chart

Help Support Steer Planet:

stick

Read a post somewhere about someone looking for the Shorthorn blood chart. Can't remember if it was on here or not. Here is where it can be found:
http://shorthorn.org/_Shorthorn/Documents/BloodDerterminatioChart.pdf

jnm

A problem with  chart; since the new registration system came out nearly all bulls  are listed as 100% shorthorn. Trump used to be 7/8 (maybe 15/16) but now is listed as 100%. My favorite is Jake's Proud Jazz. If you look at the pedigree 3 of the 4 animals at the grand dam or sire level have AR registrations but he shows as 100%!. I've pointed this out to staff and directors but nobody seems to care.

aj

Trump was never listed as 7-8ths. I am assuming you are critical of the purity of shorthorns? I know a guy who raises appendix free shorthorns. He is so proud of this. He did some linebreeding with Instant Enticer sons. Well now it turns out enticers papers were wrong and enticer was out of a full blood maine National reserve champ heifer. So now how pure is his appendix free herd? This has been kicked around and around on this board. People should be honest. With all the dna tests it will be hard to cheat. Purebred cattle papers have been wrong over the years because of honest mistakes,neighbor bulls in the wrong, pasture,natural bull vs ai date mistakes, on purpose mistakes.C.D. is registered as 7-8ths . Isn't he a cunia son T|hat would make trump a 15-16ths-red papered and a purebred. Even with the maine anjou let in the book at the 3-4 level I think shorthorns are purer than some angus that have chi,holstein, and amerifax in their genotype. jmo

aj

There is a group out there wanting "to get" Ohlde and jpj. I guess I don't get it you guys are always anonamous on here. Must be some bad blood somewhere.

itk

I gave up trying to figure out the math along time ago. We have bred 7/8ths bulls to 15/16th cows and still got red papers back. I guess a person can only spend so much time figuring fractions before they go nuts. But if you want to play by the book only 15/16 should be pure but I guess coming within fractions of fractions is close enough. The thing I like the most is when purebred maines show up for the appendix heifer classes. Not a lick of shorthorn in their pedigree but they can get 3/4 papers so are eligible to show.

jnm

I didn't mean to imply that I was out to get JPJ; I just used him as an example of how the % on the web site changed with the new system. As for Trump I had a grand son 4-5 years ago  that had all 100% on dam side and was listed as 92.5. That would lead me to believe he was listed aa 7/8 at time but as I said it might have been 92.5. Either way it's now 100%. My only point is they changed all the % so what good is the chart. It makes it easier for me. I can now breed anything to my 7/8 cows and get purebred status. Previously I had to search for ones that were 100% and other than Canadian there weren't many.

aj

I think that the American Simmental started calling 15-16th's purebreds. They basically were the first appendix program in the U.S.. People were grading up half bloods all the way to purebreds because they were using Simmental semen on mainly grade cows. Someone decided that at a 15-16th's level you have the same gene intensity as a so called purebred. If Maine Anjou aren't related to Shorthorn how did the "7 Maine Anjou purebred bulls" or whatever it was blood typed as Shorthorns in the 1980's. I am assuming that Enticers dam was a female that blood typed ok.  I will probably be set straight again but that is my redneck take on it. Somebody decided from a consistency standpoint 15-16 ths was good enough. Maybe 31-32ths was the standard I don't remember. Some old Simmental guy would know. Maybe the 15-16ths simmi females were considered purebred and bulls needed to be 31-32 ths. Maybe I don't know what the heck I'm talking about. ???

red

A Maine can be 7/8 to be classified as a purebred. Of course a fullblood is 100% & has to be red/white.