Shorthorn Breeding Advice???

Help Support Steer Planet:

Blue Intentions

I have a few cows that i am needing to get bred and before i buy semen i wanted to get some opinions.My purebred shorthorn, is very moderate. Her first calf was born unassited and came out stout and hairy but very moderate and a little straight in her shoulder. I am wanting a Purebred out of her, but I am stuck on what to use. I thought about maybe Avaitor, Churchill, Ace of Diamonds.....
I definetly want something that will be a little growthier but maintain the hair and muscle.
Thanks for the help!!!

OH Breeder

What is her breeding? There are bloodlines that mix in my book and others that don't. Can think of alot of bulls that could work on your lady. Just need little more information.

LittleHeifer

I used Capiche for my girls. He's very stout with alot of hair and has a low BW high WW all over great EPDs.

Doc

Of the ones you listed I would probably try Aviator. I would definitely stay away from anything with Proud Jazz in the pedigree if you are concerned about size. I don't know what the top side is on her but I do know her dams sire is a full brother to Sonny & a pretty nice bull.

kfacres

Sounds to me like that cow was bred to JPJ for her last calf (clapping)  Perhaps I am wrong? 

Blue Intentions.. would you fill us in on who your cow was bred to the first time? 

OLD WORLD SHORTIE

JJ the kid,  is that one of those Oklahoma people on here. Personally i would go with a trump or rodeo drive bred bull just cause i like my girls classy.

J

JTM

I really like the Aviator calves I have seen but I think the semen is a little more. Sin City may be able to put some size on. Ace of Diamonds would also put some size on but I have only had one calf and it was pretty big. Not sure what the norm is on him. I really liked the SS Deadwood calves that I had a couple of years ago.

mark tenenbaum

I have had Cumberlands since 1991-along with quite a bit of KABA breeding-like to see an XL1-have embryos but nothing to install them in. Long story short JITS_Touchdown Bull-Calving ease,performance,extremly easy fleshing and alot more guts and rib than some of the "melted Shorthorn bulls" and some Oklahoma Maine-Irish breeding (Pretenders Dam). He is also one of the few LastCalls due to semen problems, The Other Last Call-is RS After Hours-and Im way high on him-but he downsizes them O0

Blue Intentions

Got another question!!!
I have a heifer out of little cedar Reno and out of an Avaitor cow, what is your breeding advice???

mark tenenbaum

Blue Intentions said:
Got another question!!!
I have a heifer out of little cedar Reno and out of an Avaitor cow, what is your breeding advice???///Arsulu Osage O0-low bw Enticer base-0 bw epds-really nicks with rodeo-which she goes back to at least once-ditto-on the KABA breeding,and Trump-(Twice) Panama Red is a proven CE hiefer bull:-there have been 40-50 calves now-mainly commercial-hes maybe easier calving the JPJ-but they grow (breeds like an Angus) Hes out of a 2-time All American Cumberland-hiefers are mostly good-bulls arent-but grade-NCK21-on here got some really good calves out of clubby and commercial cows-couldnt tell they were the same calves 2 weeks after they were born.(they are all 60-75 pund little rats when born) O0

J

JTM

We have had decent success with Jakes Proud Jazz the last couple of years. He will downsize them. I'm going with RS 034 329, A&T Captain Obvious, and sexed heifer JSF Capiche from select Sires. All of these bull should be good for calving ease but will also downsize. Live calf is always first priority IMO.

[email protected]

I like JBS Fringe.  Lots of color, hair, and quality. But you haven't told us how your heifer is bred.  I still would consider fringe.

I guess you did tell us how she was bred.  Sorry.  I would still consider Fringe.  Ace of Diamonds too.

mark tenenbaum

I like JBS Fringe.  Lots of color, hair, and quality. But you haven't told us how your heifer is bred.  I still would consider fringe.

I guess you did tell us how she was bred.  Sorry.   I would still consider Fringe.  Ace of Diamonds too.///
She has a ton of trump and KABA-Fringe first of all-is way thick to breed a hiefer-second-he has Sonny-ton of KABA-Double Stuff-and Sumption in the background-a bunch of really thick cattle with some fullblood maine-be scared of that on a hiefer. O0

Shady Lane

One option you might consider would be  HC FL Touchdown 123T, (this is a bias coming through, I am a part owner) roan, polled, 82# BW.

He was 2009 Canadian National Champion, he's been used on heifers sucessfully, semen is available from myself and Justintime here on Steer Planet and is distributed by Genex as well.

I've included a picture, PM me if you'd like more details.

Attachments

• Touchdown cwa.jpg
    Touchdown cwa.jpg
    146.1 KB · Views: 253

[email protected]

mark tenenbaum said:

I guess you did tell us how she was bred.  Sorry.   I would still consider Fringe.  Ace of Diamonds too.///
She has a ton of trump and KABA-Fringe first of all-is way thick to breed a hiefer-second-he has Sonny-ton of KABA-Double Stuff-and Sumption in the background-a bunch of really thick cattle with some fullblood maine-be scared of that on a hiefer. O0

I could have swore he said she had already had her first calf.  Must have miss read their statement.  Fringe would be too thick for a heifer.  I agree.  But I would not hesitate on the second calf.