Shorthorn breeding advice

Help Support Steer Planet:

DFSC

I was thinking about breeding my shorthorn that has already had one calf to Ace of Diamonds. Has anyone had any calves out of him? Is he an easy or hard calver?

Thanks in advance,
Jordan

ShowmanQ

Could we get the breeding, and some strenghts and weaknesses of the cow? That would help figure out what  could work best on her.

Ruebush Shorthorns

I have heard Ace Of Diamonds can throw 120 lb calves.  I have not used him yet but do have semen in my tank.  I would crossbreed on a shorthorn heifer to something like Rocky Balboa or Who Made Who if you want something clubby.  This spring I used Majors Money Man also on shorthorn heifers if you want a good replacement heifer.  Not many shorthorn bulls will be a safe calf on heifers.

OH Breeder

Gizmo
Jakes Proud Jazz
I have also used Traveler T510 and Northern Improvement with great success.

There are shorthorn sires that are calving ease. You do not have to use a club bull to get an easy calver. Who Made Who will throw a big one now and then as will most any other bull. Use something that is proven consistently to be calving ease. Major's Money Man or Ali are also alternatives and still keeps you in the shorthorn group. I have had great success with Gizmo. Love the calves, tempermant and the body.

sigsigns

Jordan
Ace of Diamonds bw really depends on the birthweight that the cow carries. We found that with higher bw cows we got bigger calves. We haven't heard of any 120# though. Hi View Shorthorns (Raisbeck, WI) raised him and they used him on all their heifers last year as well as again this year. Their cows carry a smaller bw. Melroes are also using him on their heifers. The calves are extremely hairy and big boned and he will definitley clean up a front end. Hope this helps you with your decision.
Vogels

shortyjock89

Vogel Family-

Love to hear that report.  We used Ace of Diamonds on a Sonny cow and her Perfect Timing daughter (first calf heifer) and the only thing they really need is a cleaner front.  The Ace of Diamonds x Sonny is our most anticipated mating for sure.

Ruebush Shorthorns

If your herd is small you really need to make sure you get a live calf.  A dead calf or a C section can hit you hard on the money end of things as well as hurt your moral about the business all together.  Everyone has different experiences with different bulls.  Some have good experiences and others have horrible ones.  For instance, I bought the bull SS Joe Rider who is supposed to be a calving ease shorthorn bull.  After I bought him many big shorthorn breeders, The Vogels for instance, told me they used him on heifers and had a ton of trouble.  C-sections and hard pulls that equaled dead calves.  So I took the advice and have not bred him to heifers.  So far no problem with calving out the cows with Joe Rider.  I have bought from the Vogels and  have respect for their operation.  If you want to use Ace of Diamonds and they feel he will work for you, go for it.  They have probably calved out more of his calves at this point than anyone else.  I will be using him but it will be on cows.  Good luck with breeding.

DFSC

Yeah this cow has already had one calf in August and I'm looking to breed her back. Her breeding goes as follows: MF Pacer on the top and the cow is out of Phildon XS. Her BW epd is + 3.2. Her first calf weighed around 80 pounds and was born unassisted. I have attached a picture of the cow and her first calf. I hope that helps and thank you for all of the response.

Jordan

Attachments

• Miley and Lola.JPG
    Miley and Lola.JPG
    66.6 KB · Views: 288

OH Breeder

DFSC said:
Yeah this cow has already had one calf in August and I'm looking to breed her back. Her breeding goes as follows: MF Pacer on the top and the cow is out of Phildon XS. Her BW epd is + 3.2. Her first calf weighed around 80 pounds and was born unassisted. I have attached a picture of the cow and her first calf. I hope that helps and thank you for all of the response.

Jordan

If I remember right, maybe not, Phildon XS has some big birthweights.
Phildon XS BW 108#s.