Shorthorn Bull Calf

Help Support Steer Planet:

OKshorthorn

Some of you guys saw this little guy in a thread awhile back about Denver 2013http://www.steerplanet.com/bb/index.php?topic=33207.0 and some promotional ideas that I was thinking about (not necessarily this calf.) I had yesterday off from work so I was able to mess with the calves a little bit. Took this video and was curious as to what you thought of him now?

He is a JPJ X CLV Cowboys Fancy Key (Ka'Ba Cowboy x Ka'Ba Keystone)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jo6RjJJBI_s

sue

Redwine Cattle said:
Some of you guys saw this little guy in a thread awhile back about Denver 2013http://www.steerplanet.com/bb/index.php?topic=33207.0 and some promotional ideas that I was thinking about (not necessarily this calf.) I had yesterday off from work so I was able to mess with the calves a little bit. Took this video and was curious as to what you thought of him now?

He is a JPJ X CLV Cowboys Fancy Key (Ka'Ba Cowboy x Ka'Ba Keystone)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jo6RjJJBI_s
My favorite color.
;D

OKshorthorn

Sue, we are thinking about keeping him as our herd bull. What do you think of him? What would you like to see different about him, other than pedigree! haha

kfacres

knabe said:
Food is on the ground, not in the air. 

would that be a good reason to produce longer necked livestock-- to better reach that food on the ground, or would it be a better reason to be a better steward of the land and produce taller forage to make up for the short necked livestock?

OH Breeder

I like the guy from a profile standpoint. I wish I could widen his tracks a tick. But it would be interesting to see if he would turn out to be a heifer bull, I know he would take some use before that. Performance wise, BW  or WW etc? I think it is hard to look at one video and make a really good summation.

If you ever read or follow Gerald Fry about Linear Measurement in cattle, he makes sense. Read some of this stuff.

What he says and I have found to be true about the Male with a short neck is follows

Short necks are a good indicator of libido and high testosterone.
The cervical vertebrates have a tendency to curve up, making the neck shorter.
Short necks indicate a larger scrotal therefore a higher level of hormones.
Short necks indicate wider shoulders (mail characteristics).
Bulls with a neck longer than a –2 inches at 12 months lack male hormones, resulting in late maturing daughters, reaching puberty later in life and tend to be slow breeders.
Long necks are structural defects, no genetic progress can be made with these bulls. They will be high maintenance bulls.
Bulls with long necks have a smaller scrotum.
Bulls with shorter necks sire daughters with wider rumps.
Bulls with short necks sire daughters that mature early.

http://www.bovineengineering.com/linear_male.html

Okotoks

OH Breeder said:
I like the guy from a profile standpoint. I wish I could widen his tracks a tick. But it would be interesting to see if he would turn out to be a heifer bull, I know he would take some use before that. Performance wise, BW  or WW etc? I think it is hard to look at one video and make a really good summation.

If you ever read or follow Gerald Fry about Linear Measurement in cattle, he makes sense. Read some of this stuff.

What he says and I have found to be true about the Male with a short neck is follows

Short necks are a good indicator of libido and high testosterone.
The cervical vertebrates have a tendency to curve up, making the neck shorter.
Short necks indicate a larger scrotal therefore a higher level of hormones.
Short necks indicate wider shoulders (mail characteristics).
Bulls with a neck longer than a –2 inches at 12 months lack male hormones, resulting in late maturing daughters, reaching puberty later in life and tend to be slow breeders.
Long necks are structural defects, no genetic progress can be made with these bulls. They will be high maintenance bulls.
Bulls with long necks have a smaller scrotum.
Bulls with shorter necks sire daughters with wider rumps.
Bulls with short necks sire daughters that mature early.

http://www.bovineengineering.com/linear_male.html
Thanks for posting this OH Breeder (thumbsup)
Couldn't agree more, I know a lot of people like those long necked high headed animals but I find them totally unattractive and equate them with hard doing animals. Don't get me started on long narrow heads with weak jaws (lol)

OH Breeder

Cut the BS said:
how did we get off the topic of being straight shouldered-- into talking about length of neck?

Quote from: knabe on Today at 10:12:43 AM
Cut the BS ..................SAID the following
would that be a good reason to produce longer necked livestock-- to better reach that food on the ground, or would it be a better reason to be a better steward of the land and produce taller forage to make up for the short necked livestock?

??? Now I know you can read.

kfacres

OH Breeder said:
Cut the BS said:
how did we get off the topic of being straight shouldered-- into talking about length of neck?
Quote from: knabe on Today at 10:12:43 AM
Cut the BS ..................SAID the following
??? Now I know you can read.

but that was in response to a ridiculous comment made in regards to my original one- stating that calf cannot pick his head up due to being straight in the shoulder- like a good percentage of JPJ offspring are.

Wanna see another one on video that's straight upfront--  go to select sires.  He's got a double shot of straight shouldered in his pedigree.

sue

Redwine Cattle said:
Sue, we are thinking about keeping him as our herd bull. What do you think of him? What would you like to see different about him, other than pedigree! haha

Redwine .  I thought in the video he is in a funky stage.\? Maybe another shot of dewormer and a second video in 60 days?  A calf at this age tracking really wide ... would throw a red flag for me, i think he covered his tracks . wide tracking can sometimes mean a calf that  moves without the rear heel ever touching  ... in other words the heel should touch first? if the movement is wide from the rear and then viewed from the profile as short strided with the toe then heel... steer guys usually like the short hipped deal? 
It's early and you are definately in the "right' for breed in wanting to turn out a bull you developed. You weighed him at birth.weaning and at a yr of age. If he can cover a set of cows and wean a set of uniform calves ... well then you can look at a larger picture and frankly find more satisfaction in this as a breeder. We need more confident breeders and fewer mulitpliers.

knabe

Okotoks said:
Couldn't agree more, I know a lot of people like those long necked high headed animals but I find them terminally unattractive and equate them with hard doing animals. Don't get me started on long narrow heads with weak jaws (lol)

sue

Redwine
The real question is "would you like 400 females " like the dam to the bull in the video?  just a honest production deal .. not purple ribbons just a pasture female that you would love 400 of the same ?

happyrock

sue said:
Redwine
The real question is "would you like 400 females " like the dam to the bull in the video?  just a honest production deal .. not purple ribbons just a pasture female that you would love 400 of the same ?

that little quote hits the nail on the head, and is key to herdsire selection.

HR