Shorthorn bull

Help Support Steer Planet:

bigjoe70

Showing a very feminine Shorty heifer this season and looking for input into which shorty bull to breed her to. Looking to add thickness and extend the front end in her first calf. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks.

bigjoe70

She is out of Flyboy and a Double Down cow. Yes, this will be her first calf.

mark tenenbaum

GB Daybreak express-owned by Dale Werning-the Simmi breeder-avail on Cattle Visions or SEK-He is a Byland Dazzler out of a Lincoln Red XMaine cow who-1;Makes em grow,he was a good sized bull  2:Extemely EZ calving- LLEGIT-.01 BW-3:great Proven maternal along with years of calving ease  3:Has made a ton of good cows and show hiefers-some clubby-some just really feminine thick cows PLEASE see 2 of many examples pictured below- 4:Enticer to Rodeo (with Flyboy) and Byland Dazzler (his sire) to Double down,PS-Byland Dazzler is sire and grandsire to 2 National Champ Shorthorn bulls,that had commercially oriented EPDS-BY Pedigree alone-this is the bull you need to consider O0 O0 JMOO-just my old opinion

Attachments

• JMCC_MissJoanie0625_small.jpg
    JMCC_MissJoanie0625_small.jpg
    7.7 KB · Views: 1,221
  • Madison.jpg
    Madison.jpg
    137.6 KB · Views: 380

shortii

I am going to breed my heifers to MAV Bellringer this year. He is a Vogel bull

DL

bigjoe70 said:
She is out of Flyboy and a Double Down cow. Yes, this will be her first calf.

I bred all my Fly Boy calves to high accuracy calving ease Red Angus bulls and so far I am happy with the results. Fly Boy can pass on some weight and some squareness thru his heifers so IMHO I would use a documented calving ease bull for the first go round and worry about thickness and next for the next calf. Not much worse than a really good dead calf and a heifer suffering from calving paralysis

OH Breeder

bigjoe70 said:
Showing a very feminine Shorty heifer this season and looking for input into which shorty bull to breed her to. Looking to add thickness and extend the front end in her first calf. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks.

Can you post her registration or pedigree?
thanks

sigsigns

shortii said:
I am going to breed my heifers to MAV Bellringer this year. He is a Vogel bull

Thanks for the vote of confidence on MAV Bellringer. Here is a picture of him. Payton showed the Res Champion Bred & Owned heifer at Jr Nationals as well as 5th Overall at Iowa State Fair last year that was sired by Bellringer. Hope we can help you with your needs. Reports coming in from guys getting his calves this year say calving ease has been great and calf vigor is really good. They are up and nursing before you know it.

Attachments

• BellringerSigned.jpg
    BellringerSigned.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 215
  • 5th 4H Heifer Ch Shorthorn.jpg
    5th 4H Heifer Ch Shorthorn.jpg
    937 KB · Views: 173

sue

I am excited that a very successful shorthorn show herd is promoting a heifer sire like MAV Bellringer! Vogel's just "get it"... the sire of Bell Ringer is 'old school'  shorthorn seedstock breeding .

I anxious to see a big group of Bell ringer  calves.. we have had folks ask us about the bull. You're sure welcome to try captain Obvious or RS 329  too. all three bulls are offered at Cattlevisions.  The disposition of Captain is second to none. Videos of A&T Captain Obvious and RS 329 are available on CV web page.  Pretty sure Bell Ringer has a video too.

jaimiediamond

sue said:
I am excited that a very successful shorthorn show herd is promoting a heifer sire like MAV Bellringer! Vogel's just "get it"... the sire of Bell Ringer is 'old school'  shorthorn seedstock breeding .

I anxious to see a big group of Bell ringer  calves.. we have had folks ask us about the bull. You're sure welcome to try captain Obvious or RS 329  too. all three bulls are offered at Cattlevisions.  The disposition of Captain is second to none. Videos of A&T Captain Obvious and RS 329 are available on CV web page.  Pretty sure Bell Ringer has a video too.

Diamond Prophecy 21P has worked well for us, not only has he been consistent as a calving ease sire in 4 herds to date, but he also is about to enter his 8th breeding season he is also available at cattle visions http://www.cattlevisions.com/Shorthorn/Prophecy.php
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GPee0aZd78k
prophecy.jpg

Here are the videos of the bulls sue posted/commented about :) I have also attached the current EPD's for all of the bulls mentioned in my post :D
MAV Bellringer 804U http://www.cattlevisions.com/Shorthorn/MAV_Bellringer.php
BellringerSigned.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FU0ox9Qo-VI
A&T Captain Obvious 606S http://www.cattlevisions.com/Shorthorn/captainobvious.php
captainobvios2.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ftz7GusYoRI
RS DV 034 329 08 http://www.cattlevisions.com/Shorthorn/329.php
329_q2.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qdBrFTTQBNU&feature=youtu.be

Attachments

• Diamond Prophecy 21P.jpg
    Diamond Prophecy 21P.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 168
  • mav bellringer 804u.jpg
    mav bellringer 804u.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 169
  • A&T Captain Obvious 606S.jpg
    A&T Captain Obvious 606S.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 178
  • RS DV 034 329 08.jpg
    RS DV 034 329 08.jpg
    83.9 KB · Views: 207

frostback

mark tenenbaum said:
GB Daybreak express-owned by Dale Werning-the Simmi breeder-avail on Cattle Visions or SEK-He is a Byland Dazzler out of a Lincoln Red XMaine cow who-1;Makes em grow,he was a good sized bull  2:Extemely EZ calving- LLEGIT-.01 BW-3:great Proven maternal along with years of calving ease  3:Has made a ton of good cows and show hiefers-some clubby-some just really feminine thick cows PLEASE see 2 of many examples pictured below- 4:Enticer to Rodeo (with Flyboy) and Byland Dazzler (his sire) to Double down,PS-Byland Dazzler is sire and grandsire to 2 National Champ Shorthorn bulls,that had commercially oriented EPDS-BY Pedigree alone-this is the bull you need to consider O0 O0 JMOO-just my old opinion

How do you know the Miss Joanie cow? She is in my pasture.

Okotoks

frostback said:
mark tenenbaum said:

x3851564 PM DEER TRAIL AWESOME ET
  x3881248 PHA-F TH-F BYLAND DAZZLER 1AW105
      x3846280 BYLAND VICTORIA 8B70
Sire: *x3967376 TH-F GB DAYBREAK EXPRESS
      *x3842639 GB SPIFFY
  *x3875653 GB MISS SPIFFY
      *x3835892 GB STREITA

JMCC MISS JOANIE 0625

*3906982 PHILDON TIME OUT
  *3981091 PHA-F TH-F ALM SURF ET
      *3955070 KA'BA LASSIE 88 T
Dam: *4080501 JMCC MISS JOANIE 0301
      *xAR30046 CSF DUSTER
  *xAR34517 CSF JOANIE 01
      *xAR17967 CSF JOANIE

jaimiediamond

frostback said:
mark tenenbaum said:

Frostback do you have a recent photo of her? She was a lovely heifer!!!

Mark do you have a picture of her dam??

frostback

No I do not. I will try to remember to take the camera with me next time I go check them.