Shorthorn bulls of the 80s

Help Support Steer Planet:

wiseguy

We used a son of Bonnie Roberta by GR Paul Harvey called AFK Taurus. Best cow maker I have ever seen, he made some real belly draggers that milked. Problem was they all weighed 1800 lbs or more. Anyone have a picture of Bonnie Roberta?

stick

Would anyone have a picture of the 10,000 pound get of sire from Denver sired by Ayatollah? If I remember correctly the animals in that get were Glenford Curt, Glenford Ayatollah 2nd, Alexander, Prairie Lane Metric Marvel

stick

kiblercattle, what was the story on Elevation? If I remember correctly didn't he sell for big $$ and then not produce freezable semen? Supposedly was injured at one time and they used steroids on him and that was the cause??

kiblercattle

Yeah he sold for a lot dad said he can't remember the total price but he said getting there money back was difficult. The vet told them that steroids were probably to blame and that his opinion they were used to increase his growth

Okotoks

vcsf said:
kiblercattle said:
And I d like to see a picture of hs instant enticer

Picture of HS Instant Enticer from a semen catalog.
Here is a son of Enticer that we sold in 94 at the Lacombe bull sale. He was reserve champion to his Enticer half brother, Diamond Brass Band.
We used 3B as a yearling and on a couple of cows before this sale and he left us some great producing daughters including Diamond Della Dottie, the dam of Diamond Helena Dottie 12H and also Norvyk Donnica Kate a grandam of Northern Legend 3N. One of the people in the photo was suffering from food poisoning and had my Dad very concerned ;D

And the name came from Highway 101's song Bing Bang Boom's lyrics..it was instantly in full swing it was bing bang boom. Seemed like a good idea at the time  :)

Nikki Nelson - Bing Bang Boom

Attachments

• Diamond Bing Bang Boom 3B.jpg
    Diamond Bing Bang Boom 3B.jpg
    154.1 KB · Views: 251

kiblercattle

sorry i keep this going but the picture i find make me smile just trying to imagine what everyone was thinking.
first pic is austin a ayatollah son that abs advertised. waukaru prime minister is a bull a friend of ares used. red bull is a rodeo drive son that i know nothing about. fourth pic is spotlight a instant enticer son that was with abs too. last pic is my dads champion shorthorn heifer at the cow palace in 1980 how could that kind of change happen in the next ten years.

Attachments

• austin.jpg
    austin.jpg
    160 KB · Views: 359
  • primeminister.jpg
    primeminister.jpg
    158.5 KB · Views: 357
  • rdson.jpg
    rdson.jpg
    167.1 KB · Views: 518
  • spotlight.jpg
    spotlight.jpg
    129.4 KB · Views: 277
  • sh.jpg
    sh.jpg
    111.7 KB · Views: 298

PDJ

Was the Spotlight calf a Byland deal?  Trying to remember the names of a couple of painted up bulls they had back then.

RyanChandler

wiseguy said:
We used a son of Bonnie Roberta by GR Paul Harvey called AFK Taurus. Best cow maker I have ever seen, he made some real belly draggers that milked. Problem was they all weighed 1800 lbs or more. Anyone have a picture of Bonnie Roberta?

I'd like to see some pics of a 1800lb belly dragger.    The more lbs you can pack on a deep low set moderate framed animal the better imo.  The ability to pack on lbs on an easy fleshing phenotype shouldn't be discounted.  I just don't know that I've ever seen a cow with a short enough set to be considered a belly dragger and also weigh 1800.

vcsf

stick said:
Would anyone have a picture of the 10,000 pound get of sire from Denver sired by Ayatollah? If I remember correctly the animals in that get were Glenford Curt, Glenford Ayatollah 2nd, Alexander, Prairie Lane Metric Marvel

Here is an ad promoting the get along with pictures of some of the bulls mentioned.  Not sure how clear some of these will appear.

Attachments

• Alexander S3.jpg
    Alexander S3.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 229
  • Cactus Flat Ringmaster.jpg
    Cactus Flat Ringmaster.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 195
  • Glenford Curt.jpg
    Glenford Curt.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 329
  • Glenford Ayatollah 2nd.jpg
    Glenford Ayatollah 2nd.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 377
  • Ayatollah Get.jpg
    Ayatollah Get.jpg
    161.1 KB · Views: 285

vcsf

Here are a pair of bulls that were the All Canadian Bull Calf and Junior Yearling Bull in 1985.  Their owners must have been quite proud of them as over twenty years later they booth took their Steerplanet usernames from the names of these bulls.  Incidentally I know that one of these bulls and I believe both went on to sire some good useful offspring.

Attachments

• Muridale Coyote 15T.jpg
    Muridale Coyote 15T.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 186
  • HC Justin Time 61S.jpg
    HC Justin Time 61S.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 231

justintime

Thanks vcsf for posting pics of Coyote and JIT. These are two bulls from the 80s that would be super popular today and I wish we had been smart enough to collect semen from them back then. JIT was a Duke of Dublin son out of a dam who was Highfield Irish Mist X Columbus. He was very moderate framed with tremendous thickness. His daughters were great uddered and made excellent brood cows. There were several JIT daughters that got down into the US and many of them ended up being donor females.

I can still remember the first time I saw Coyote, and I thought he was a very good bull. As he got older and some calves hit the ground, it was even more evident that he was a great breeding bull.

Garrett

I don't have a picture off hand to put on here but my dad showed a bull that was named High Five. He won Denver in 1985

vcsf

Garrett said:
I don't have a picture off hand to put on here but my dad showed a bull that was named High Five. He won Denver in 1985
[/quote

Here would be a picture of High 5 who ended up being named the All Canadian Two Year Old Bull in 1985 for Shadybrook. 

Attachments

• JSF Lightfoot's High 5.jpg
    JSF Lightfoot's High 5.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 219

uluru

kiblercattle said:
sorry i keep this going but the picture i find make me smile just trying to imagine what everyone was thinking.
first pic is austin a ayatollah son that abs advertised. waukaru prime minister is a bull a friend of ares used. red bull is a rodeo drive son that i know nothing about. fourth pic is spotlight a instant enticer son that was with abs too. last pic is my dads champion shorthorn heifer at the cow palace in 1980 how could that kind of change happen in the next ten years.

I have Waukaru Prime Minister semen for sale in Canada if anyone wants to give him another try.
www.ulurushorthorns.com

Duncraggan

Waukaru Prime Minister bred very well for Nonen Shorthorns in South Africa, we have a couple of granddaughters from the Rozetta herd.  The best one seems to have picked up some wire as she has wasted and she went to slaughter last week.

We have heifers from both so all is not lost!

Okotoks

I can't find the original photo so had to scan this from a 1985 Shorthorn News ad so apologize for the poor quality. It is a photo of WPS Irish Guinness 561 from Willson's Polled Shorthorns, Idaho. He was by Deerpark Improver 2nd and out of a Kenbar Commando's Diana, a daughter of Ball Dee Royal Commando. 561 was born Feb. 13,1982.
Photo taken at 3 years of age. we were so proud of him even though he stood deadass last in his class at the Calgary fall round up show. I remember the bull right above us was an Eionmor bull. I wish we had collected 561!
The second photo is scanned from our herd sire reference page in the 1988 Rocky Mountain Production Sale. Again sorry for the quality. Winner looks pretty tall in that pic but the Lassie Queen is only 5 feet tall!

Attachments

• WPS Irish Guinness 561.jpg
    WPS Irish Guinness 561.jpg
    232.9 KB · Views: 276
  • Diamond 80's bulls.jpg
    Diamond 80's bulls.jpg
    545.7 KB · Views: 343