Shorthorn bulls? Shortdawg assistance needed

Help Support Steer Planet:

red

To any Shorthorn breeder: I have a red & white Maine cow that I'd like to breed to a Shorthorn this year. She is a good size cow & has some structure issues with her back legs. Normally a high BW cow too. Biggest issue is that she is out of Warhorse & is a known TH carrier &  I'm also putting her in the PHA category too.
What bulls have you heard about that would be good? I'm hearing a lot about Proud Jazz, what can you tell me about him.
Thanks, 8)
Red

shortdawg

Proud Jazz is a great bull. He sired a yearling bull that brought $ 7500 in Denver. He has a very low BW epd and I hear he is a very easy calver. I've been told that he will moderate frame a little and add a lot of style.
    I used Ar Su Lu Tonic in my herd this year and he might be a bull you could look at. I hear his bw's  range from 80-90 lbs.
There are several calves sired by him on WHR's website. He is owned by WHR , Cates , V8, and Caney Valley Farms.  (cow)

red

Are they both clean TH/PHA?
Since she is a THC that is a must!!!
Thanks, Shortdawg!
Red

shortdawg

They are both TH free but I can't be certian on the PHA. I don't see anything in their pedigrees to make me think they would be PHA carriers. You could contact the owners to find out for sure. Dustin Glover is one of the owners of Proud Jazz and I mentioned the owners of Tonic in the first post. (pop)

garybob

My guess would be to use a bull like Homedale Blizzard. Muscle, meat, and soft made. An asterisk free, polled, bull that is 100% Shorthorn, and is White. Will give you a roan calf, which is often paramount to success in the clubby biz. If she has enough pelvic area, get her measured to make sure,  I'd either use Leveldale Javelin or Eionmor Mr. Gus 85C.  ;)

garybob

Oh, yeah! Red, He goes back to some Ohlde-bred cattle. TPS Coronet Leader 21st was an awful good bull in his day. Pics of a daughter and grandaughter on Muridale Shorthorns' website. She's listed on the cows link. Jeanny is her name. TANK!!!!! Also, a son of him(Leader21st) at Labans Roanoake Farm in Iowa. Studers leased him for last summer's breeding.

red

Gary Bob- welcome!!!
Thank you for the information. She definitely has enough pelvic area. He had a 118# bull calf without trouble. She lost her calf last year due to TH. ??? didn't know at the time about Warhorse & Cherry Bomb both being THC. It was a really nice red heifer too.
I'll check on the bulls you both recommended.

Red

shortdawg

Proud Jazz is also an Olde bred bull and goes back to the Cornet Leader 21st bull. K-Kim is selling several bulls out of him in their march sale if you would like to take a look on their website. (dog)

DL

shortdawg - What about Gizmo- THF, PHAF - great females?  ;)

shortdawg

I think he is a nice cool fronted bull but I haven't had any experience with him myself. I've been told that Gizmo's Image is just as good or better.

red

garybob said:
My guess would be to use a bull like Homedale Blizzard. Muscle, meat, and soft made. An asterisk free, polled, bull that is 100% Shorthorn, and is White. Will give you a roan calf, which is often paramount to success in the clubby biz. If she has enough pelvic area, get her measured to make sure,  I'd either use Leveldale Javelin or Eionmor Mr. Gus 85C.  ;)

Garybob- what does asterisk free mean?
Also, I do have some Red Vision semen. I know he is THF.

Thanks, Red

garybob

Hey, Red, that means he is 100% Shorthorn with no outside blood. In this case, Blizzard is all old-line Beef Shorthorn. Heavy with Canadian Cattle in his background. He's So thick, he has a crease down his back like a modern market hog. Check out his picture on Homedale's website. Click on "Blizzard"(a White Bull). There are SEVERAL pics of his daughters that were shown successfully by the Kaehler Family in MN. They are also breeders of Simmmi's and Angus.

When viewing a Shorthorn pedigree, lf the animal has an asterisk in front of his reg'n number, it denotes cattle having some level of outside blood. Asterisk free,a nd  Appendix-free are like the term "fullblood" in other breed ass'n's lingo.

Hope this clears things up a little for you.

Was 42 degrees here today, NA NA na nanananana. However, at least you guys don't have to deal with KY31 Tall Fescue all summer long. Thank you guys for being so welcoming.

red

Thank you so much Gary. I'm still confused over the Shorthorn Appx deals (or whatever they call it now). I know my red cow, who is a purbred Maine, can be registered as an appdx Shorthorn. Fullbloods too, right?
I did see a picture ofMuridale Buster & his dam. 
We're glad you feel welcome. It's a fun board but we're trying to get some good information out there to people.
I'm jealous on the weather! We put 2 coats on the new calf today. It was a real mess trying to get the ice off her. most of the schools are already cancelling to tomorrow.
Red  (welcome)

Show Heifer

Hey, GaryBob! Glad to see ya here! Can ya help me with my Trump question?
I am jealous of your weather! Here in IA it is cold. Very cold. And snowing. And windy. And I still wouldn't trade my job for the world!!! ;D

Jill

We used Radio Active on our Shorthorns and Shorthorn/Maines  last year, I'll let you know in a month how that turned out.  We used him on our Black Dice X Vegas to downsize a little and he is THF. 
Does anyone know where I can find a picture of Proud Jazz, I tried to look him up yesterday, he sounds interesting, but I couldn't find anything on him.  Thanks

red

Jill said:
We used Radio Active on our Shorthorns and Shorthorn/Maines  last year, I'll let you know in a month how that turned out.  We used him on our Black Dice X Vegas to downsize a little and he is THF. 
Does anyone know where I can find a picture of Proud Jazz, I tried to look him up yesterday, he sounds interesting, but I couldn't find anything on him.  Thanks

Jill, I did searches yesterday to try & find a picture of him also. No luck. Do any of you horn guys know where a picture of him is listed?

Red
note: no Y at the end of horn guys :-\

feeder duck

Have not read all the post,but try Wild Side. He will keep the bone, moderate her birth wieght. He will give you enough size and plenty of look. He has not been sold as heavily as some of the other club calf bulls,but has had success. The second place point steer in Texas is a Wild Side and he lead the points for some time. That steers full sister won her class at the Hoosier Beef Congress and was the youngest in the show. Theses are only two of his recent  calves. He is handled be all major semen distributors. HE IS TH free and I have not had him test,but I would be 90% sure he is PHA free as well.

red

feeder duck said:
  Have not read all the post,but try Wild Side. He will keep the bone, moderate her birth wieght. He will give you enough size and plenty of look. He has not been sold as heavily as some of the other club calf bulls,but has had success. The second place point steer in Texas is a Wild Side and he lead the points for some time. That steers full sister won her class at the Hoosier Beef Congress and was the youngest in the show. Theses are only two of his recent  calves. He is handled be all major semen distributors. HE IS TH free and I have not had him test,but I would be 90% sure he is PHA free as well.

Nice bull Feeder Duck!
http://www.cattlevisions.com/Shorthorn/Wild%20Side.php
if any one else wants to check him out
Red (cow)