shorthorn bulls

Help Support Steer Planet:

Zdog

does anyone have pictures/information on the shorthorn bulls, radioactive, sinister and sonny n clear

shortyjock89

No kiddin, I've seen some darn good ones out of Radioactive.  The cow is half the equation too.

SKF

My daughter had a Radio Active steer and he was GREAT!!  He had the best disposition and he was a very easy steer to raise. He gained weight looking at food. Plus he was very sound and he finsihed out at 1290 and my daughter had a great show season with him. That was our experience with Radioactive and I would use him.

kfacres

guess i did jump to accusations.. But 50 cert cost is still too much.. Alot of people I have talked to feel the same about RA... 

I'm sure he will make some great ones, anything will make great ones from great cows, but a true stud bull makes great ones from average cows. 

Jill

All of our Radio Actives have been very nice, we have a heifer right now that is really nice out of him.  He does throw really big birthweights, our smallist has been 94 lbs and most have been a little straight off the rear leg, but I certainly wouldn't say he is a throw away even with the 50 cert, shorthorns carry a cert fee, that's just part of the game, you don't have to pay it if your calf isn't good enough to register.  Don't know anything about the other 2.

shortdawg

We are showing a heifer out of him and I love her - good hair, good spring of rib, good bone, and great disposition. Plus she bred AI first shot.

OH Breeder

Two of three are PHA Carriers Radioactive and sonny and clear. I have not tried either one for that reason. thats me. Sinister was featured on cattle.com in the video section. From what i saw in the video he looked very similar to his sires calves. Larger boned good haired but not much muscle. We had large birthweights with Sin City.

My question would be, what are you trying to breed and what are you breeding these bulls too? I have learned over the years, certain bloodlines click for certain things.

OH Breeder

kfacres said:
We had a nice calf from RA..

Not a fan of Sin City, don't think he is half as good as his dirty brother... JMO 

Thought you were cutting your Radioactives and throwing them out?  :D

kfacres

I did after using him one year.. had some left in tank.. But we did use him, and that's how I know he really wasn't worth using.. Had one decent calf from him.

I did say this  I have, and cut the rest,and threw them out

DCC_Cattle

I have used Radio Active the past 2 years and had really good results with him. I did worry because I heard that birthweights were big but mine have only weighed 70-75 lbs and they grow fast! I think you need to remember that the cow is half of the equation, so don't always blame the bull.

kfacres

Had a RA born week early, first calf heifer, 52 lb.  Dude, I agree, cow is half, but like I said before, Any bull can make a great one out great cows, but true studs make great ones outa average cows.  Also, I live bout 45 min from where RA was produced, and sold at public auction for a mere 1200..  Also, know and live bout hour from Guyer...  People I know used RA quite heavily, got a bunch of skinny bellied, straight hocked, frail boned calves

Doc

kfacres said:
Had a RA born week early, first calf heifer, 52 lb.  Dude, I agree, cow is half, but like I said before, Any bull can make a great one out great cows, but true studs make great ones outa average cows.  Also, I live bout 45 min from where RA was produced, and sold at public auction for a mere 1200..  Also, know and live bout hour from Guyer...  People I know used RA quite heavily, got a bunch of skinny bellied, straight hocked, frail boned calves

Well Dude, I've seen some pretty decent calves out of some ave. cows. Every calf doesn't have to be a great one to make money or to be able to contribute to your herd. When you find that true stud let me know,  I would like to use him on some ave. cows.  As far as what he brought at auction doesn't mean he's not good, just because he didn't bring "$50,000" or more. I can say that RA is out of a sure enough good cow & that has what has interested me from the beginning.

shortdawg

Mine is a RA out of Casper x Double Stuff cow and she's clean both ways. She will be flushed for sure after she has her JPJ heifer.

Jill

DCC_Cattle said:
I have used Radio Active the past 2 years and had really good results with him. I did worry because I heard that birthweights were big but mine have only weighed 70-75 lbs and they grow fast! I think you need to remember that the cow is half of the equation, so don't always blame the bull.
I do remember the cow is 1/2 of the equation, I have had 4 RA calves, 94,100,100 and 102, not blaming the bull just stating a fact ours were big and he is known as a big calver.
Ours were plenty deep, there is a picture on here of one that just sold at the Iowa Beef Expo from I think LSF you might do a search, she is pretty much what all of mine have looked like.

justintime

Are we all talking about the same bull? I have never used Radio Active, as we cannot get semen here in Canada,but the calves I have seen have been pretty good. I would agree with Jill's assessment, that some are a little straight in their back legs. The ones I have seen were deep sided and had some guts.