Shorthorn calving ease

Help Support Steer Planet:

YoungGunCattle

What are some shorthorn calving ease options. I'm looking for something that will clean up a sloppy neck and that is chisel fronted.

Will

We are using Bellringer from Vogles and using Elbee Throwback naturally.

mark tenenbaum

GB Daybreak express-been around FOR YEARS-but people keep using him-Latest example would be the new red Monopoly Son-REAL DEAL-who is out of a daughter-and is one of the goosiest clubby bull deals Ive seen, Semen at Cattle Visions 2: FF Redman-a young bull with a near 0 BW epd who is sired by an old performance bull from Shalimar (with a bunch of Maine) and out of a full sister to Daybreak Express- Bollum has semen-just look to the Bollum ad to the left-and the red bred hiefer that comes up over DECEMBER 21st is a daughter-best EPDS BY FAR in Shcrags sale-and looks pretty good.Trump Influence- ALM Chiller-has worked on alot of hiefers-White hiefer that won this years World beef expo or maybe Wisconsin State fair-sired by him  CF Prosperity-The most proven CE bull by Trump-over many years-Backenhus owns him-really ahead of his time-and behind a couple of Kolt Cattles top doners-pages and pages of registered of calves O0

Cardinal_Crest_Shorthorns

If we are worried about calving ease on first time heifers we usually use a black bull. Not saying you cant use a shorthorn bull with out having trouble, just seems hard to find one that is consistently calving ease and still has pretty good calves.

Lucky_P

Can't help you with 'sloppy neck' or 'chisel front' - whatever that means - but have been using Shorthorn sires on cows in my commercial beef herd (ANxSimAngus)  for several years now.
I would have no qualms about using Waukaru Goldmine 2109 on all but the smallest %Angus heifers in my herd - have not bred virgin heifers to any SH bulls until this fall, but we've had enough 2109 calves over the past 3 years that I'm comfortable using him on some virgin heifers this time around.
Have some Captain Obvious and RS 034 calves this year; came small - and early - out of 3-yr old 2nd calvers; not enough of 'em for me to feel fullly comfortable putting 'em in high% Angus heifers yet - but they may fit the bill.
So...the calving ease is out there; whether or not those bulls will do what you're looking for... I dunno.

Davis Shorthorns

Lakeside doc clark 918.  Ckean fronted and is averaging 84 lb bw at my place.  Neg. Bw epd with real growth.