Shorthorn coloring

Help Support Steer Planet:

Gmc cattle

Maybe a dumb question, but how can one tell how a calf will be marked or colored. The calf will be out of a first calf heifer that is a red necked roan bred to capiche

trevorgreycattleco

No way to tell. That's the beauty of shorthorns. It is always marked differently. Going by what you said about the sire and dam, I'll bet a red neck roan. But then she will have a all white one. Or a all red with a few white spots. Keep us posted.

OH Breeder

What I have always found exciting with my Shorthorns is the colors. Shorthorns are kind of different in that roan is really pattern of red and white hairs. You basically have red, red and white and white. Some cattle will pattern differently Many times the mixing of hairs is missed and you actually have a roan but its not as prominent. I was also told you can get whites breeding two roans like TG said. That also what I think is interesting with Heat Wave and Heat Seeker with that little bit of Shorthorn blood every now and then you get that wild colored one. We like color the more of it the happier we are.

Gmc cattle

renegadelivestock said:
I have had several Cappiche calves out of roan heifers, and EVERY one of the has been white so far!

How did the capiche calves turn out? I had sexed heifer semen so hoping get a decent heifer