Shorthorn cow-Which clubby bull?

Help Support Steer Planet:

SSIMMENTALS

Ok, I'm going to join the which bull to use club. I've got a shorthorn cow, RadioActive x Navaho x Dixie Chic, and I want to flush her clubby. She's been posted on here before with this year's calf, and I got a lot of feedback saying to go clubby with her. I have done some homework, and I know I can sell them, but I've got to decide on a bull. She is about a 6.3-6.5 frame cow, great neck extension, cleanliness, smooth shoulder. She's plenty stout and deep and long. Easy keeping. She's got the mamma sow hip (for a lack of better words; not shaped like a HW steer, but plenty of room) I like her rear leg, but she's sitting on that showy but still acceptable line. We don't need to get any straighter. I need a PHA Free bull. I don't want tee tiny frame scores. I would rather have 10 really nice, solid calves than one great one and nine throw aways. Recips are simmy and charolais cross cows. Should calve fine, but I want reasonable birthweights. Bull needs to sire good bone, good qtr, acceptable necks, acceptable depth, and be pretty flexible.. I'm not a risk taker, so right now I'm looking at Dr. Who. I think she could handle something different though, so any suggestions would be great.
Thanks,
Sarah

OH Breeder

I have used Heat Seeker to get a down sizer and keep clubby genetics. I have seen some Tiger Woods on Shorthorns that were pretty nice.
I think Dr Who could keep the shorthorn coloration.

Sly

i think tiger woods also. Then u get boyh worlds monopoloy and dr. who

SSIMMENTALS

Thanks guys.
I appreciate the feedback. Pretty new breeding one clubby (I'm a simmy girl at heart.) and I am not a risk taker; so everyone's opinions sure help make it a lot easier. I'm going to use my gut, but if something comes up enough I'm certainly going to look into it. What does Heat Seeker do in regards to structure? Main differences in Who vs. Dr. Who? I like Tiger Woods; makes a lot of sense what you said about getting both worlds.
Thanks,
Sarah

mark tenenbaum

Free For All-or JBS Fringe-they are both clean-very sound-very thick,and are not puds,-and both are a combination of stout conventional Shorthorn breeding-(Sonny)-with lots of dividend-and old line clubby-maine-with a ton (Fringe) of Dividend-KABA linebreeding. Which works with its opposite-IMPROVER-which your cow has A TON OF, O0

shortyisqueen

Are you more interested in good steers or good heifers? A bull like Sunseeker or Eye Candy might work nicely on her for steers (both TH carriers, no PHA). If you want to try a TH free bull and you are interested in producing heifers, our Jigsaw's are probably the best we've ever had off Shorthorn cross cows.

SSIMMENTALS

Thanks again everyone.
I guess this is more or less the steer mating. I will breed her Shorthorn or Simmental with a great heifer in mind. That being stated, I don't want to use a bull so extreme that the female calves are useless. Something to give really nice steers but yet not completely dominate her and take away the female qualities she brings to the table. I know I'm asking for my cake and wanting to eat it too, but that is my "ideal" situation for this flush.

Show Steaks

I like walks alone quite a bit, as well as a bull who isnt as well know"Special Edition" (monopoly son) real world size with loads of muscle and a great hip, deep body and well structred. probabbly my favorite steer bull at stud.