Shorthorn Experts a grooming question, Please!

Help Support Steer Planet:

RSC

I have never shown a shorthorn before and I found an appendix steer for my son.  I want to build the legs with White Touch up so I
need to know which color to use to finish with to match this calf.  Would the Sullivan Crimson Red be the color to use?

I am planning on keeping the flank White?  Any other suggestions would be great.

Calf is pictured below.  He is out of Suds so my son named him Cascade!

Thanks,

RSC

Attachments

• Cascade a final.jpg
    Cascade a final.jpg
    258.3 KB · Views: 724

shortyisqueen

Great looking calf!

Whoever came up with Shorthorn Red did a genius thing, it matches almost any color of red Shorthorn depending on the thickness you spray it. Since he's a pretty light red, you might need to go over it with Shorthorn red and then lighten it a little with some Auburn (Red Angus) Red, but it Shorthorn Red will be pretty close on its own!

OH Breeder

First, I am not expert, but, with the roans and building it is hard. i would get both reds that sullivan has. I tried a red once on a roan and it looked too orange. Before you go to the show. Another product that works great and you have to buy it at beauty saloon, is called streaks and tips in a pink can. You spray it on and it will give that "roan appearance". Back in the days when we use to ball tails to cover adhesive we would spray the final product with Streaks and Tips. It gave that blonde, white, red coloring that you get with the roans. If he was solid colored it is much easier to paint the areas. Play alot with color before you go to the show to make it look natural.

OH B

RSC

OH Breeder said:
First, I am not expert, but, with the roans and building it is hard. i would get both reds that sullivan has. I tried a red once on a roan and it looked too orange. Before you go to the show. Another product that works great and you have to buy it at beauty saloon, is called streaks and tips in a pink can. You spray it on and it will give that "roan appearance". Back in the days when we use to ball tails to cover adhesive we would spray the final product with Streaks and Tips. It gave that blonde, white, red coloring that you get with the roans. If he was solid colored it is much easier to paint the areas. Play alot with color before you go to the show to make it look natural.

OH B
I don't know enough about making the overall color scheme look natural.  I was thinking about making the legs solid red like the lower parts of the back legs.  I would be taking some roan out of the front legs.  So you don't think the overall color balance of the calf would look good if I did that?

Thanks for all suggestions,

RSC

gocanes719

You will be fine with the red.  Don't go overboard trying to build his legs with the white paint.  It is powder based and if there is no hair there to begin with it is going to be a little tough to make something out of nothing.  He is a nice calf.  I would let some hair grow in his heart.  It makes him look a little off in his heart/forerib in that picture.  Good Luck to your son with the calf.