Shorthorn $ figures now have % rankings

Help Support Steer Planet:

sue

I would pay more attention to accuracys - especially on older bulls.

Captain is gaining ground but look at JPJ and Goldmine- both in the 80% for epd acc.  I believe 034 is in the 80's as well?

As far as $ epd- well let's just wait and see? Im with Jaimie "it's new"? Nate- I am looking more at actuals as well.

329 - literally no acc?  (I can pick on my own bull) he is in the 30 % and most of the rest of the bulls listed are less then 50% on this page.

vanridge

justintime said:
Another example is HC Timeline 17T who has a $CE of -15.93 and a $F of 29.98. I have not used Timeline on heifers but I am seriously considering using him on some. He has been 100% unassisted births for 4 years now. His offspring have the most explosive growth both pre and post weaning that we have seen. The Timeline sons who have been tested in our bull test have indexed 127 against all other bulls on test for gain. Meanwhile, using the numbers on these new EPDs, it shows Saskvalley Pioneer 126P having a $F of + 42.23. Pioneer calves have excellent growth, but they do not have more growth than the Timeline offspring.... no way!  The Pioneer bulls we have tested in our bull test have averaged 114 for ADG on test against alll bulls. In my world, there is a significant difference between indexes of 127 and 114, and yet the new numbers suggest far more growth from Pioneer than from Timeline.... You can waterboard me for a week.... and I will never agree with this!! 
I agree that these numbers are a starting point and should improve over time, but I do not believe the numbers can change enough to show what I have experienced in  my herd.

I am totally confused, this is gonna take a while for me to learn. .....So, would Timeline have a negative because he hasn't been used on heifers yet (looking at the definition)  and you have to use him on heifers first before you get a more positive result?.... ???

DL

I think the biggest problem with these numbers and new system (besides the amazing confusion ;) is that the ASA does not require submission of data from the entire herd, even if you are in the WHR, in fact you can add and drop cows at will - what is required is that you pay an annual fee for any cows that are in your WHR (whole herd reporting) - thus the data is skewed to begin with - it represents, for example, some calves, sired by some bulls, from some breeders. SO, IMHO the percentage of something is pretty much irrelevant in a skewed sample - ie if the bull has a high percentage, but the dead, dystocia calves were not reported - who cares how high his percentage??? And when you create numbers from other numbers with low accuracy you just get numbers - they are not necessarily meaningful

It is likely an attempt to negate some of the current thoughts in the US that for the most part Shorthorn cattle are show ring cattle with little in the way of true calving ease bulls and that they cannot compete on feed with other breeds

justintime

sue said:
I would pay more attention to accuracys - especially on older bulls.

Captain is gaining ground but look at JPJ and Goldmine- both in the 80% for epd acc.   I believe 034 is in the 80's as well?

As far as $ epd- well let's just wait and see? Im with Jaimie "it's new"? Nate- I am looking more at actuals as well.

329 - literally no acc?  (I can pick on my own bull) he is in the 30 % and most of the rest of the bulls listed are less then 50% on this page.

I agree that the accuracies are a key component to the true evaluation on any sire. In many cases it can take several years before the numbers and accuracies can correct themselves to come even close to providing a decent accurate picture of what a bulls genetics can do. In many cases, many of these sires are dead and gone before any accurate numbers are produced which is most unfortuante, but this is probably the best that can be done. It is also more difficult for a breeder with a small herd to ever get the accuracies that other major larger herds can get on sires, especially if they have AI sires that are used in many herds. I understand that there is really no perfect answer to this problem but it can distort the numbers in some cases IMO.  One of my biggest problems with putting your faith into numbers is what they don't tell you. I see far too many people making breeding choices from numbers alone, which in my opinion, can lead your herd or a breed down the wrong path. EPDS are just a tool and like any tool, they are useful but usually they have to be used in combination with other things. IMO, the most valuable tool in breeding cattle is plain old common sense. If a person can accept that EPDs are a tool and not the total answer to making proper breeding decisions, I think everyone benefits.

Last year at our bull sale, I watched a young couple eliminate several very good bulls in the sale, because they did not think that a Milk EPD of +2 was high enough. I tried to explain to them that a Milk in a breed like Shorthorns, of +2 can be a very good amount of milk. They decided to put their faith in what their college professor had told them, and they ended up purchasing what I thought was my poorest bull in the sale. This bull had a Milk EPD of +6 but other than that, there wasn't much else positive about him compared to many other bulls in the sale.   After seeing this happen, I was wishing I had pulled him from the sale, as I had initally intended to do. I just hope this bull doesn't sour them on trying another Shorthorn bull. This was another lesson to me to follow my gut instincts and cull my bulls even harder.
Last night I was filling out some entry forms for a group of bred heifers I am taking to a sale this fall. I checked every heifers EPDS and again I wondered to myself if I should even include them as I do not believe they represent these heifers properly One heifer has a WW EPD of +39,a YW EPD of +63, and a Milk EPD of +5.Her dam has a Milk EPD of +7, and while she does a decent job of raising her calf, she does not come close to bringing in as big a calf in the fall as the dams of the other 5 heifers.

The other 5 heifers have WW EPDs of +15 to +21. They have YW EPDs of +22 to +25. They have Milk EPDs of +1 to + 2. All of their dams have Milk WPDs of +1 to +2 as well.
Looking at the EPD numbers, one would  think that the heifer with the highest numbers would be in the top end of this group of heifers. Of these 6 heifers this heifer who had the highest WW and YW EPDs by a country mile, had the second lowest WW and the third lowest YW ( adjusted to 365 days). This heifer has WW and YW EPDs that are over double the values of the other 5 heifers. As I mentioned, the dam of this heifer has a Milk EPD of +7. Normally I try to stay away from females with Milk EPDs this high, as they can not be hardy enough for our conditions especially in a dry year. I liked the cow so I took a chance and quite frankly, I would say her milk production is marginal at best. I have always questioned Shorthorn Milk EPDs the most so I don't base too many buying decisions on them. One of my favorite producers in my herd has a Milk EPD of -2, which would cause most breeders to avoid her.  In this case, the EPD numbers did not tell the correct story. I also think the EPDs don't tell the correct story in the growth EPDs of these 6 females. I am afraid that anyone who selects these females by numbers alone could be doing it totally wrong, in regards to their production abilities. I know I would select them totally different to what the numbers would suggest.

Looking at the phenotypes of these 6 heifers, the heifer with the big numbers, is definitely the shallowest bodied. I donj't need any numbers to know that, as I can see that with my own eyes. The other 5 heifers are much deeper bodied and I think they will all be easier fleshing than her. The heifer with the big numbers is coarser made, and quite frankly has an plainer ( uglier) head.  I think an animals head can tell you volumes about its productivity and fertility. I guess I just have to question if I should include the EPDs as I dont think they will help anyone make the proper selections and only confuse too many people. Right now, I guess I'm leaning to including the EPDs in the sale catalog, as there are quite a few people who will not purchase animals if they can't have the numbers. At the same time, I scratch my head and wonder if I am going to be promoting these heifers improperly if I do put the EPDs in print.

I'm not even going to mention the $CE,$F and $BMI values on these 6 heifers as they totally make no sense to me. If I can't make sense out of them, and I am the person who raised these heifers, how could anyone make good breeding decisions who is trying to use them to select in a sale? I'm sorry, but until I see some numbers that suggest a closer representation to the accurate animals ability to perform, I won't be using them anytime soon to base my selections on!

linnettejane

wow...i understand that... 8)

DL said:
I think the biggest problem with these numbers and new system (besides the amazing confusion ;) is that the ASA does not require submission of data from the entire herd, even if you are in the WHR, in fact you can add and drop cows at will - what is required is that you pay an annual fee for any cows that are in your WHR (whole herd reporting) - thus the data is skewed to begin with - it represents, for example, some calves, sired by some bulls, from some breeders. SO, IMHO the percentage of something is pretty much irrelevant in a skewed sample - ie if the bull has a high percentage, but the dead, dystocia calves were not reported - who cares how high his percentage??? And when you create numbers from other numbers with low accuracy you just get numbers - they are not necessarily meaningful

It is likely an attempt to negate some of the current thoughts in the US that for the most part Shorthorn cattle are show ring cattle with little in the way of true calving ease bulls and that they cannot compete on feed with other breeds

garybob

DL said:

We are now paying for our transgressions against common sense. I think breeding for hair, color, and choked front ends has landed us in Cattlemen's Purgatory.
GB

sue

DL said:

Bingo DL!  We have discussed before but to me whole herd reporting starts with submitting breeding/pasture exposure dates even before the calf hits the ground?  BW ww and yw are minimum but look at all of the blanks  on papers we  except as a breed? You report or they ( most associations) dump you? 

knabe

people hate average for some reason.

fertility probably hates growth extremes (on either end).

RyanChandler

The whr is bs - there's no reason I should have to pay that kinda $ to simple submit the info.

I definitely support mandatory performance reporting of all registered animals though.

That being said, the horned bull in my avitar fared alright:  (clapping)
$Calving Ease /% 31.90/20th percentile
$Feedlot /% 35.75/5th percentile
$British Maternal Index/% 44.89/1st percentile

DL

-XBAR- said:
The whr is bs - there's no reason I should have to pay that kinda $ to simple submit the info.

I definitely support mandatory performance reporting of all registered animals though.

That being said, the horned bull in my avitar fared alright:  (clapping)
$Calving Ease /% 31.90/20th percentile
$Feedlot /% 35.75/5th percentile
$British Maternal Index/% 44.89/1st percentile

Is faring alright when the numbers are meaningless a good thing?? or just a thing?? ;)

Durham

Interesting to see that Conquest rises to the top again for calving ease. Yet so many parties claim to have the "best" shorthorn heifer bull. I say that 71 is a pretty high number. Not to mention top 1% for the maternal index and still maintaining a top 25% for $F. What am I missing? Thanks for noticing Okotos.

RyanChandler

Perhaps the numbers for the bulls you're using are meaningless, but as far as the Drover bull I'm using (he posts the second best set of numbers of any I've seen, only preceded by his sire), his sire has over 100 recorded calves and his dam over 30.  Can't wait till my Drover x Lovings calves hit the ground!

Durham

The 23J cow looks to be the real deal. She is still in production, calf at side, and being flushed. You should post a picture of your 05X, he looks good

sue

HC timeline's sire :
  SULL GNCC Salute  post a -38.25 for CEZ .  333 progeny with a epd accuracy for calving ease of 85 %  and MCE of -9.8 with a acc of 85%.  It's going to take  awhile to prove a son....

If the $ values are based on  pedigree? 

The grandsire of  Timeline  is -10.4  CE  82% acc  -11.1 MCE 81% acc and his $ CEZ is -27.28??

You need more people using timeline to prove otherwise?  Sell semen  maybe?

carl

I don't pretend to be an epd expert and I have no idea how accurate shorthorn epds are but I will agree with Grant that selecting for high milk epds in our breed is questionable at best. I think one of the biggest challenges our breed has faced in the past is udder quality and excess milk at calving is a major contributor to this problem. We also need to remember that the beef business is about reproduction and  real heavy milking cows have trouble maintaining condition and breeding back, at least under our conditions.

justintime

sue said:
HC timeline's sire :
 SULL GNCC Salute  post a -38.25 for CEZ .  333 progeny with a epd accuracy for calving ease of 85 %  and MCE of -9.8 with a acc of 85%.  It's going to take  awhile to prove a son....

If the $ values are based on  pedigree?  

The grandsire of  Timeline  is -10.4  CE  82% acc   -11.1 MCE 81% acc and his $ CEZ is -27.28??

You need more people using timeline to prove otherwise?  Sell semen  maybe?

Sue, I know why Timeline's numbers are what they are, and it is probably pedigree based. He is not my main concern with these numbers. My concerns are with several other animals that I have used. I know that there are always going to be inconsistencies in EPDs until the accuracies become higher. What I struggle with is the fact that in some cases I see little correlation between the numbers and the usefulness the animal possesses. Our Bar Code bull's EPDs are BW  1.6, WW +7, YW +14, Milk 0. The new EPDs are $CEZ  +16.96,  $F +19.25, $BMI +23.75.  If I was considering buying this bull to use in my herd, how could I use these numbers to evaluate his actual performance. Many people would stay away from him because he has a WW EPD of +7 ( due to the old genetics of his sire) . Bar Code weaned at 692 (adjusted to 205 days - no creep). His YW was 1121 adjusted ( actual was 1230 lb). He weighed 2020 at 24.5 months. How would these EPD numbers help me decide that this bull has adequate growth when they are so moderate?
Maybe I just don't understand how these numbers are generated but take a look at the EPD s of his sire and dam:
                                                     BW           WW             YW           Milk            $CEZ                $F                $BMI

Pheasant Creek Leader 4th              -3.0            -6                -5             -2             +52.82             +7.98            +31.37

B Good Red Sue 1P                         +6.2          +21             +21          -1              -18.24              +30.64           +20.48

I just don't know how some of these numbers are arrived at? I can see how some of them have been arrived at, but what was used to base the numbers on some of these older genetics like Leader 4th? Look at any older sire and their numbers always suck.  Both sire and dam have negative Milk EPDs yet his Milk EPD is 0. The Milk EPDs suggest that Red Sue should be a lower than average milking cow. In reality, she is one of the few cows I own that I wish had a bit less milk as her calves only suck one or two teats for several weeks after birth. I consider her to be a much above average milking cow. I guess my biggest problem is I have to wonder how I would use Bar Codes EPDs to use them to make a selection decision?
As I mentioned previously, I look at the EPDs in many of my heifers and I am left scratching my head as to how I would ever use these numbers to select my replacements. They just don't seem to match reality!

Believe me, I want to believe the numbers. I want to be able to use the numbers. Maybe I haven't drank enough of the Kool-Aid, but common sense seems to leave me with a bunch of questions after I study the numbers. I hope before I leave this earth, I will be able to see some EPD numbers that will allow me to feel comfortable with them, and be able to know that they can be the tool to help in selection of breeding stock that they were intended to be.

r.n.reed

I would be concerned as well JIT, especially if you have been reporting all your data for several years.

justintime

r.n.reed said:
I would be concerned as well JIT, especially if you have been reporting all your data for several years.
[/quote

Another of my concerns is I often wonder how many EPDs are manipulated and man made? I have used some bulls with high growth numbers and have had mixed results in their offspring. Some actually do what their numbers suggest. Others have not sired calves that perform any better than some I have from sires with much lower EPDs. I know the dams have an affect and that management and environment can affect actual data on any set of calves in a particular year, but I just wish I could see a little more predictability. I also understand that a small breed like Shorthorns will never see the consistency of numbers that a large breed like Angus have. That again is just the reality of numbers and accuracies.  Like most things in this business, change is slow and we can only hope that time will bring changes and more accuracy in the numbers. I do believe EPDs can be extremely useful, but right now, I think we have to add a big dose of common sense along with critical visual analysis. I know , at least in my herd, if I used EPDs as the  main criteria for selection, I highly doubt if my herd would be going in the direction I want it to go.
I am seeing so many people who use EPDs as their main selection tool and give far too little consideration to things like structural soundness, fleshing ability, udder shape and teat size, testiclar size and shape,foot size, head shape, masculinity, etc etc etc. I think you need to use every possible tool available . When I look for a herd bull, for example, I use my eyes as the first selection tool. My eyes will tell me if a bull is sound, if he has adequate thickness, if he has excellent testicles, if he has good temperament, if he has enough capacity and if he is soft enough made to add some easy fleshing genetics to his offspring. If I find a bull that I like, I then will look at the EPDs. Hopefully, the EPDs will match what my eyes and a bit of common sense tell me. I do not base my decision on EPDs alone as I do not trust them enough. In the example of Bar Code, I probably would not have retained him as a herdsire, if I had used his EPDs as my main criteria of selection.

Another of my pet peeves is that I see far too many bulls with great EPDs that are totally lacking in masculinity. Last year, I saw one of the so called great breeding bulls in the breed, who is now a bunch of years under him. He looked like an overgrown steer and he showed little masculinity at all. In my opinion, bulls need to look like offensive linemen and your females have to look like the cheerleaders on the sidelines. I find that it masculine sires usually sire the most feminine females. Femininity is one of the most misunderstood words in this business, as far too many people confuse femininity with fraility. Goosey fronted females with no sign of any brisket at all usually last about 2-3 years in my herd. They are more frail than they are feminine!

trevorgreycattleco

Durham said:
Interesting to see that Conquest rises to the top again for calving ease. Yet so many parties claim to have the "best" shorthorn heifer bull. I say that 71 is a pretty high number. Not to mention top 1% for the maternal index and still maintaining a top 25% for $F. What am I missing? Thanks for noticing Okotos.

So what are you saying? You have the best calving ease bull and nobody is using him? JR Conquest I'm assuming? Where is semen available? Maybe folks don't know he is out there. I know about him so I'm just generalizing.