Shorthorn Flush Suggestion

Help Support Steer Planet:

marsh

I know this board has a lot of Shorthorn knowledge on it so I am looking for a little help.  I have a Double Vision daughter who I have flushed twice this past Spring and then bred her.  She is open so I believe I am going to flush her again.  She is moderate framed with great depth, good bone, and a very clean neck.  She has had one steer who is showing now sired by ALM Chiller.  He is a nice steer with a great side profile, but is lacking the power in the rear quarter that is needed to seriously compete.

The flushes completed so far on this cow were with Sonny and Hard Core.  I have 13 total embryos from those flushes and will put them in next Spring.  The cow's registration number is x4091878 if you would like to review her breeding.  She was purchaces from Farrer Stock Farms and has many full sibs and half sibs that have been very good.  She is TH negative, but is a PHA carrier.  I want to try to stay clean and have calves that would be marketable as steers or heifers.  I was thinking JPJ, but am afraid they will not be big enough.  I don't want any calving nightmares if I can stay away from it. 

Any suggestions on what to flush her to would be appreciated.  I know the black bulls well, but not around the Shorthorns enough.  I hope to successfully flush her and then sale her.  She has went cystic a couple of times, but has flushed fine.  The cow will be for sale later this Fall if anyone is looking for a good cow at a lower cost due to the problems with going cystic. 

Thanks in advance!

shortyjock89

I think that Ace of Diamonds would work well, we used him on our Sonny daughter this year, and I think we may use him on a Double Vision next year.  He isn't especially clubby, but he has the look. If you would be willing to let any of those Sonny embryos go, let me know.  Also, I might be interested in the cow if the price is right.  E-mail me if you would like.

Ruebush Shorthorns

I would look into NPS Outrageous he is a TH carrier and is one of the more clubby type shorthorns you will find.  I am assuming that the cow is moderate framed?  I really like Red Hot as a clubby but he makes good calves out of taller cows.  I would really consider Red Hot in any flush situation.  Getting a big hipped purebred shorthorn is hard but cross a shorthorn to a clubby and you will find those are the best calves around in my opinion.

Latest posts