Shorthorn Genetic Problems

Help Support Steer Planet:

librarian

The reason I reacted negatively to this post was because, from the get go, it seemed like a political stratagem to stir up strong emotions and polarize opinions. The timing, just far enough ahead of the annual meeting to create an inflamed atmosphere, seemed too convenient.
Where is the give and take in this conversation? Why are we turning against one another? There are logical and rational approaches to eliminating future carriers from the herdbook.
Why get all worked up and run thru the fence just because some coyote is sauntering thru the pasture?  We could be uniting instead of dividing.
Coming to the table at the upcoming meeting as reasonable people with mutual respect is going to be difficult if everyone has been turned against one another by an outside, or inside, agitator.
Yes, we could all raise black if we wanted to make top commercial dollar, and we would be dealing with a lot more genetic defect issues of we choose to raise Angus. Some of us just believe in Red, White and Roan, each for our own reasons. If this fellow wants to tell everyone else what to do then that's his problem, not ours. It would be easier if he just announced who he thinks should be on or off the Board instead of throwing stones.

vc

When Shorthorn breeders attack:

Don't have a dog in this fight, but i can't stop coming back to it, it's like a wreck on the freeway you have to look.

I am so amazed at times by the shorthorn community and the animosity they seem to have towards each other, is it the same outside of this forum? This thread is a prime example of the inner battling that seems to go on every now and then; if I wanted to turn someone away from the breed I would just have them read several of the different threads from this site, Shorthorn people tearing down their breed,  association and and the inner fighting by Shorthorn people.

I think if you are a firm believer in that all Shorthorns should be clean then by all means breed your cattle and run your program that way. For those who choose to manage the defects, that is fine as well, just as long as the test and inform their customers of those defects. If your complaint is the carrier animals are beating your clean animals, that is a good case for managing the defects.

I often wonder how many great steers out of carrier bulls would actually test clean; it is just assumed that he must be a carrier.

As far as the commercial operations I would push clean bulls, makes sense one less thing to manage. But what if that clean bull used in the commercial operation came from a THF cow and a THC bull or visa versa. He is clean, does the fact that he is out of a THC animal make him less valuable or productive?

I think the best thing that the Shorthorn breeder, really any breeder selling registered cattle to the first timer should do is educate the new customer about the known defects in that breed, what the issues are and let them decide the way they would like to proceed. I know now days with the smart phone capabilities, most kids can be up to speed on the defects in about 5 minutes of hearing about them. I did a search when this thread started just to see how hard it was to find the information, it was not hard at all and the information easy to understand.

Breed them the way you want, promote them that way and let the rest do the same. The problems will work them selves out.

oakview

VC:  Thanks for repeating what many of us have been saying in so many words for years.  Never hurts to read it again.  Maybe a few souls will pay attention this time.