Shorthorn heifers

Help Support Steer Planet:

Fishdad

Hello I've recently bought a shorthorn heifer been reading up on low birth weight bulls. I'm new to the cattle side I raised lambs for 10 yrs here in Texas and just got to hard with all the rain. Sold out bought 2 registered angus heifers and a shorthorn heifer we will be showing the shorthorn. Any recommendations on a bull for her. She is a January born was hoping to get her AI in march/April. Planning on taking the angus back to breeder I bought from to have live bred. What about AI them to a shorthorn bull ? I have no clue if that's a good cross or not.

Doc

1st of all, welcome to Steerplanet.
As far as the Angus x Shortie cross goes, it's as hot as anything out there. It is an outstanding cross that will make show heifers, but even better they make outstanding momma cows.
As far as the Shortie heifer, you will get more recommendations than you can process. I personally like either KOLT Kane Nitro or Hot Commodity.

sue

Doc said:
1st of all, welcome to Steerplanet.
As far as the Angus x Shortie cross goes, it's as hot as anything out there. It is an outstanding cross that will make show heifers, but even better they make outstanding momma cows.
As far as the Shortie heifer, you will get more recommendations than you can process. I personally like either KOLT Kane Nitro or Hot Commodity.
I have to second the Angus x shorthorn crosses- for 10 years I have bred using registered Red Angus females and papered shortie bulls. Doc is using registered Black angus bulls on shorthorns. Should you  decide to go this route just remember that American Shorthorn Association will add the registered Angus animal on the papers- this is definately a better route to go as you end up with a "complete paper" and customers can see all of the genetics documented. 50% Shorthorn qualifies for ShorthornPlus shows! Good Luck!