Shorthorn or Maine

Help Support Steer Planet:

JN Cattle Co.

I have a dilemma I am in. I currently raise commercial and show cattle. I am going to start raising purebreds. I cannot choose between Shorthorns and Maine's. I am choosing between these two breeds because the part of Texas I am in, everybody has Angus, Charolais, Herford, and American's. We have great grazing, but the temperatures can reach into the low 100's in July and August. Some months of the year will be so dry nothing will grow, and then will be so wet, that we are worrying about flooding. I appreciate and respect all opinions, but would only request that the responses be limited to these two breeds. The topic could get out of hand with everybody giving their opinions on what breeds are the best. Thank You

Joel M.

red

We raise Maines but the nephew raises Shorthorns. i think both breeds have their good & bad points. I guess what I'd do is find out what local breeders are close to you & willing to work or help you.
I guess i've always loved Maines for their dispositions & maternal traits. I do like red cattle better though & know you have more options there w/ horns.

Good luck w/ whatever breed you choose!

Red

AAOK

I'll admit I'm extremely biased, but let me put it this way:  The Shorthorn breed was well on it's way downhill until they opened their registry to the Maine-Anjou.  Now, let me ask what made the breed what it is today?  Answer =  MAINE-ANJOU!  'Nuf said.

shortyjock89

I have Shorthorns, but ALL of my best cows have a shot of Maine in them.  We have also had fantastic success with a Maine/Shorthorn cross.  Double Vision on a Calberta Hustler or Black Impact cow can produce some VERY marketable calves.  I guess it's up to you, but I think either would be good.

TJ

I would buy a few of each & raise some purebreds & also some maintainer/shorthorn plus.  See which breed is working the best & then sell the breed that you don't like & replace them with the other breed.  That's how I would do it.  But, I honestly don't see why you couldn't just buy a few of each & do both. 

cattlejunky

Add another vote for Maines.  Ours cows are so easy to work with and they are great moms.  I am not sure if you are raising them for show cattle or for fat cattle, but either way I think you will be happy.  Good Luck with your decision.

garybob

Go for slick-haired, production-oriented Shorthorns. They will work in your part of Texas. I can connect you with breeders from SW MO, if need be. Cattle that can handle 98 degrees on Fescue can handle 105 on Bermuda Grass, at basically the same humidity.

GB

chambero

You will have a lot easier time finding Maine cattle in numbers at decent prices in Texas and the surrounding states.  I just don't know many people that have shorthorns in any numbers in Texas.  The few that I have known haven't like them from a durability standpoint.  If you could find slick haired ones, that would probably help in the heat, but not sure what kind of market there would be for those animals.  I'm guessing your not just interested in raising commercial-oriented cattle.

Personally, I think you have more flexibility with Maines for different markets (breeding stock, feedlots, etc).

justintime

I live 1200 miles north of you, and we have had both Shorthorns and Maines. Here the Maines were less productive and had more fertility and calving issues. I have eliminated almost all the cows with any Maine influence. Maybe that goes to show that you have to select for your environment.Like any breed there are Shorthorns that can't cut it in any climate, and there are some that would be hard to kill with an axe. Whichever breed ( or both) you decide on, I would suggest that you select some females that have some natural thickness, some depth of rib, and natural fleshing ability. They seem to adapt to any climate. Be picky when you go lookin'.

Doc

I definitely have the Shorties as my top pick. We've been raising them since 1972 & was started as a 4-H project for my sister & myself. Dad was raised with Herefords, but we still chose Short's for docility & mothering abilities. I still like seeing  the different colors on the babies & cows. I do have one Black Impact dtr & am looking at adding a Maine bull for cleanup. I think the Maines & Shorts compliment each other quite well.

JSchroeder

I assume from your post that you are looking for input on the purebred side of things?  The market for bulls isn't the best for Maines in your area but the market for Shorthorn bulls is virtually non-existent. 

There's a guy in Pleasanton that raises both Shorthorns and Maines that could lead you in the right direction.  I've sent you his contact information.

shortdawg

I'm definitely partial to Shorthorns; but, I would look at what you could sell best in your area.

Dero

Have you given Chi's any thought. They can and will work in many enviroments and fit a varied number of production systems wether it be seedstock or showring production. Chi's can also complement the two breeds you are concidering very well.

knabe

take the business school approach.

take a survey of customers, your interest, opportunities, projections, costs, directions, can you draw in customers from outside area and projections in time when that may happen, or market product outside your area, what do cooperator sales offer, what will you do with culls............

JN Cattle Co.

I would like to thank everyone for the great input. I am going to put my business degree to work and figure out which breed would be more marketable,  not only in this area but throughout the state. I will most likely raise both and see what breed works best for our situation. Again I would like to thank everyone who replied.

Joel M.

yuppiecowboy

whether its maines, horns, or belted santa gertrudis, i would suggest finding breeders in your area that have cattle you like that raise them in an environment that will be similar to your own and go from there, Its not realistic to say this breed or that breed as there can be cattle within that breed that can work for you while other genetics would be a disaster. We all agree that JIT is a cowman's cowman, and I would bet if he were in texas as opposed to the north pole his cows would be different than what they are.

Dale

Years ago we used a Shorthorn bull from a famous sire that probably was part Maine.  We liked the bull; however, he turned out to have -10 milk EPD.  Other off the pedigree Maine bulls have been okay or even good on milk.  In Shorthorns a -5 milk EPD will feed a calf, but a positive EPD is desirable if you don't get extreme. 

Like GaryBob I'd use Shorthorns that are commercially acceptable.  Try Rob Sneed, Waukaru, Leveldale, Byland, Keith Lauer, Marty Loving, etc.  There are plenty of Maine influenced bulls you can breed to these commerical-type cows to add the show look.  Beware of the too straight rear legs & steep shoulders from either breed. 

Also look for cattle with the ability to make a living on forages alone--I'm less familiar with Maines; in most breeds there are both good-doers and hard-keepers.  What does the average commercial cow weigh in your country?  Variation within breeds is tremendous.  With high feed prices, we do not like feeding even hay & grass to cows that eat like elephants.

What part of TX is home to you?  Our Indiana Shorthorns have done well in North Central TX.