Shorthorn/Shorthorn + Bull Recommendations

Help Support Steer Planet:

Farmgirl1228

Hello again. I'm looking for bull recommendations once again. I've got a complete hodgepodge, Angus X, Simmental X, Shorthorn X, and more. Shorthorns have always been a favorite breed and if we do some AI some this spring/summer that's the route I'm looking to go. Now I've got some cows that are framier (Shorthorn X primarily) that I want to add some guts and muscle to. For those I have been looking at SVFI Uncle. And for my bigger gutted, easy fleshing cows (Angus X primarily, but some Simmental X) I am looking at Mind Bender. I have been very impressed with his calves, dam, and siblings, and have briefly spoken to Josh about him and plan to again. I want to breed functional animals that have a place in the field, I do not care about them winning the big shows right now, I want to build a good foundation for the future. Color would be very nice but not required, Low BWs preferred, and would rather add milk than take away. Any suggestions are helpful. Thank you in advance.

Edited to add that two of the heifers are out of registered Shorthorn + sires (Schab's Drama (Jake's Proud Jazz x Clark's Bonnie) and HHH Blue Moon (Blue Tool x H Princess Melody). How worried should I be about potential DSC with these bulls and breeding their daughters to DSC bulls? Or are there any DS-Free bulls that you would recomend?

Weezie

What are you wanting the offspring of your cows to do? I assume you are trying to raise show stock. Without having pictures or much to go on from the cows pedigrees it's kind of tough to say. What is your end goal? What are you ideally wanting to raise? A little more context may be helpful in suggesting bull decisions.

mbigelow

Both of the two bulls you listed will give you stout marketable calves.  I don't really like the color pattern of Uncle but he is a good bull.  I would recommend CFS Long Look if you want good replacement females and are trying to stay away from DS. If you don't have PHA in you herd DS on DS is a pretty insignificant issue. However if PHA is present in the herd it can be devastating.  I think mind bender would be great on your sim cross cattle.

Farmgirl1228

Weezie said:
What are you wanting the offspring of your cows to do? I assume you are trying to raise show stock. Without having pictures or much to go on from the cows pedigrees it's kind of tough to say. What is your end goal? What are you ideally wanting to raise? A little more context may be helpful in suggesting bull decisions.

I am primarily looking to breed sound and functional foundation females that can raise a good calf. Most of my cows were bought locally and are just a hodgepodge with no real pedigrees. The few that I've bred who are out of registered sires are out of Simmentals (HF Double D (HF Double Down x HF Mac's Girl) or Golden Dawn Mudface (Crossroad Radium x Golden Dawn Julie)). And I've got two Shorthorn X heifers that are out of Shorthorn + sires (stated at bottom of the original post). The end goal overall is to breed some show stock, but I would like to breed good foundation females first that can produce functional animals that will do decent in the ring.

Trying to attach a few of my cows for some idea of what types.

Attachments

• unnamed_11zon.jpg
    unnamed_11zon.jpg
    862.4 KB · Views: 212
  • unnamed (1)_11zon (2).jpg
    unnamed (1)_11zon (2).jpg
    904 KB · Views: 184
  • unnamed (2)_11zon (2).jpg
    unnamed (2)_11zon (2).jpg
    969.3 KB · Views: 183

Farmgirl1228

mbigelow said:
Both of the two bulls you listed will give you stout marketable calves.  I don't really like the color pattern of Uncle but he is a good bull.  I would recommend CFS Long Look if you want good replacement females and are trying to stay away from DS. If you don't have PHA in you herd DS on DS is a pretty insignificant issue. However if PHA is present in the herd it can be devastating.  I think mind bender would be great on your sim cross cattle.

As far as replacement heifers go, would either of those bulls be good choices for such? Looked for Long Look some and I definitely like the looks of his heifer calves. Where could I find the most information on him (including semen)? Thank you, I am not the most versed in PHA, TH, and DS, but am trying to become more educated on them, though I've see the horrors of PHA.

mark tenenbaum

You might want to peek at the thread right close to you OKC DENVER Bulls theres a Triple clean 84 pound BW 1220 at 11 months 1.0 BW epd White Shorthorn bull who IS the widest made sound caf Ive seen anywhere at that age in a growth stage HE will make two of any clubbys ive seen lately hes still growing and looks it. Unlike some of the fat turtles I observed He  was not presented hogfat HE WAS BY FAR the thickest hiest performing Shorthorn at the show period Cow families  You may not be familiar however some of the Breeders on here will- Augusta pride back to 3127  Cumberlands (sonny) Margies, Desert Rose AR SULU MEG  Rocker Bros Ruby the Cates Queen family all on the pedigree *4305735 Comptons Justified  Hes horned but just like breeds such as the  herefords that makes him stouter and like the Irish Cattle more of a preponent changer  Since most of his entire pedigree is polled I wouldnt be surprised if alot of his calves may be too-bred to polled females

Farmgirl1228

Thanks Mark, just gave him a look and holy cow, that's an animal. Bad thing is, when will they be selling semen out of him? And would love to see that bull move. But gosh, he's a big guy, sure has grown like a weed, and is thick as they come. Not to mention with that white you could probably get some pretty roans. Horns aren't the biggest issue in my book, we have a few every year regardless ad I think we're going to start doing getting rid of them young with a debudder.

mark tenenbaum

As of yesturday I could have sent you the show video dont know if I can now He was also reserve division at the American royal "national show" in another fiasco Although GO FIGURE NO PICTURE OF HIM WAS POSTED IN THE COUNTRY THIS WAS versus a frail rolling pins to hooks no butt huge sheathed cow killing genetics political deal who weighed close to 500 pounds less than him  and was named "reserve national champion" LOL  That phenominal piece of bovine substance (POS) didnt show up  at this National Show Even though the breeder? had a bunch of other cattle there  The way this calf moves out is his strongest suit There are several pretty well known people who can verify that including Gargan on here and the lady who developed the TJH bull the national champ shorthorn bull 2 years ago Both are going to use this young bull along with me and maybe 10 people from the aisle at Okie City who saw him I took a bunch of stills from the show I can post a couple or email them You gotta see him We were texting back and forth about the judge who was just a doofuss and swapping pictures that totally defied the reality of the script he had been given LOL Jim jumped him a week before OKC There should be semen in a couple weeks or so knock wood If you are serious PM me-And Ill update you Thurs Friday when they get back Jim Compton owns him and hes very meticulous about his cattle MEANING-you will not get bad semen or even close PS the semen will not be big $ Thanks  O0

Weezie

That bull of Compton's looks good! I'd consider him for the cows talked about. Like said earlier, I wouldn't worry about DS as much unless PHA is in play. There are breeders that have bred DS on DS on DS and still been able to sell calves. The Outsider is a bull I'd consider. Evolution is a little pricey but he could work as well. Stacy Lewis may have some bulls that fit the mold you are looking for as well. Mark has forgot more about shorthorns than I will probably ever know. His ideas will have merit

mark tenenbaum

Thanks Weezie-Incidentally the white bull is sired by Evolution and Outsider has really done the job for moderate thick ones-Lotta winners too Jim Compton started him out as well  As things gained momentum Laughtner bought him Will Lane on here now has a full brother to Outsider that is Triple Clean O0

Farmgirl1228

Thanks Mark. I'll shoot you a PM about Justified, I'd really like to see more on this bull. Won't be AIing until late spring/ early summer most likely, but would definitely like to start looking into getting semen. Thanks

Farmgirl1228

Thanks Weezie for letting me know about DS. Wasn't quite sure how big of a concern it was, but knew that PHA is an issue. I've looked at the Outsider quite a bit, have a Loaded 4 Bear x Front & Center heifer that will be bred this spring. She just was pelvic checked (can't remember dimensions off the top of my head) and was cleared to breed. Keep going back and forth with what to breed her with, though from what I've seen I really like The Outsider, just worried about calving complications (on any bull) since I won't be around as much when the calf is born. I've seen some of Stacey's bulls, can't say I've looked at them too much. May have to look through them a little better. Thanks

mbigelow

Farmgirl1228 you can PM me for more information on Long Look or contact Jason Newcomb.  He is calving ease. I used him with no issues on first calf show heifers they calved out great this fall.  I should have around 70 calves with his onfluence next fall.  He makes them better all the way around. I agree that the Lewis bulls could be good.  Cool thing with Shorthorns is there are lots of options.  If you really want a great base cow with great udders then look at muridale jaxson  consistently improving udders,depth and maternal traits. 

Farmgirl1228

mbigelow, I will take a look at him again, I looked at him yesterday quite a bit and liked what I saw. Haha I like lots of options but it definitely makes deciding harder. I would actually be really interested in the Muridale Jaxson bull, he sounds like he breeds what I need, not to mention the fact that I really like the cattle that I've been looking through that belong to them. Do you know much about him/had any experience with him?

jconner2088

We have had great luck using using Red, white roan on our shorthorns. We have a nice red white roan X double stuff/monopoly bull that we got from Carl Venable that we put on our crossbreds and never fails we will get some dang good females. This year we have probably one of the best heifers we have had in a while out mab x whiskey cow and red white roan. Ill have to see if I have a picture. With the pictures you showed id be would be hard pressed not to try RWR. We have also started using more FSF bulls, mainly Perfection, but have used starburst and have liked them. The Daredevil bull of Stacey's might be one of my favorite bulls i've never used which is out of starburst.  We are in it to make show steers down here in Texas but we know that if its a heifer it better be something we can keep and eventually have steers with so nothing gets breed freaky minus the MAB cow but she was a purchase out of the Share the Brand Sale on recommendations by my old ag teacher mentor. We flushed her this hear to RWR and Perfections, and then bred her back to our RWR bull. sorry long story.

Farmgirl1228

jconner2088, how have the heifer calves out of RWR been? Have you kept any as cows? I'm looking to get a good maternal cow base and would eventually like to breed more terminal calves out of them. I've definitely liked the majority of the Starburst calves that I've seen, and some of the bulls out of him. How did the calves out of your MAB cow turn out?

jconner2088

Our RWR heifers have been really good. We have two that calved in nov and are doing good. They have grown well and are milking well. The MAB cow is in still early in her production but we had a nice no worries steer out of her that is being shown right now and the rwr heifer she had in august is just flat out awesome. Only bad thing about the MAB cow is she does not milk great but enough to raise her calves. We wean early here anyways so a lot of times its ok if cow doesn't milk like a dairy cow. But I will try to get a picture of the rwr heifer she had this past August. She will be staying around and we are very excited about her. Also have a blue roan heifer from RWR out of a Salty dog X angus that is the hairest and thickest calf I have had out of the cow. She got rebred that way again this year, hoping for another blue. Ill work on getting pictures the next couple of days.

Farmgirl1228

jconner, good to hear. I'll definitely look into him some more. Hope my MAB granddaughter (Loaded 4 Bear x Front & Center) milks out okay, still deciding on what to breed her to. Would love to see some of your RWR calves if possible, sounds like you've got some good ones. Part of the reason as to why I want to breed more shorthorn in is for the blues! Such a pretty color, wish I had more as I'm down to 2 (both very light) due to selling my other 2 due to udder issues. One was a true blue and was gorgeous. The other was darker but had a white belly and lighter on her back end. Calm as could be.

Farmgirl1228

Really like that bull, nice and stout, and throws some good looking calves. Yikes, glad we haven't had any here. Though we have plenty of mud of course