Shorthorn steer help

Help Support Steer Planet:

showemall

I have a shorthorn steer hos just not gaining as he should and is getting a bit to tall. Hes been getting kalmbach 1/3 20# a day hes only weighs 890 and should be at 990 at this point. My crossbred steer and heifers are on the same bag feed and are doing great but hes just not pulling together. Hes a good steer and under bob may he was second in his class because he was one of the soundest calves that day and had the right parts, but needed the weight and is getting a bit of frame to him. I know he can be good, but I need a ration that will help slow him down and put the fat on. Help.

vc

If he is cleaning up his feed, start upping it and fat to his ration, I would raise his ration to 23 pounds over the next 4 weeks and add 2 pounds a day of Stabilized rice bran, make sure you get Stabilized. Just rice bran goes sour in a hurry, calves won't like it once it does that. We never had a problem getting them to eat it, some folks have had calves who won't eat it as well so just mix it in the feed