Shorthorn X Red Angus heifers

Help Support Steer Planet:

coyote

Here are some Shorthorn X Red Angus heifers . I think they are going to grow into some good "ground sows"

Attachments

• 133 - Copy.JPG
    133 - Copy.JPG
    456.7 KB · Views: 598

ruhtram

Are these replacements or feeders? Nice looking set either way!!

coyote

They are replacements. They were born in April, they had been just on hay up until about 3 weeks ago now they are getting 2 lbs of Oats a day.

aj

I think the Shorthorns when used on the Angus......clean up the joints....makes em better footed.....improves udder shape. To me the Red Angus are a tick more practical, easier keeping....etc. It is one hell of a cross.

tamarack

Great replacements, coyote! Thinking of keeping all and breeding or selling replacement heifers?

Barry Farms

The uniformity is awesome. If they were mine I would AI them all to the same AI sire I.E. Red Angus and then use a son of his as a clean up bull giving you another very consistent calf crop.

Are they all polled? Any roans? About 700 pounds?

librarian

Beautiful. Is this a Shorthorn sire on Red Angus dams? What is the frame size and weight of the dams and what kind of breeding.  What kind of Shorthorn breeding?  Is the uniformity coming from a prepotent sire or related dams? If they are replacements you must have put a lot of thought into what would move your herd forward functionally. Are these bred to be smaller or lower input than the parent generation? Why are you using crossing? Is this cross to give vigor to a seed generation and then regroup with Shorthorn genetics that move the selection criteria forward, or to give a Shorthorn boost to Red Angus? Lots of questions, but clearly there is a lot of experience behind that group and a plan. That wisdom could save guessers like me from a lot of wasted motion.

coyote

Most of these heifers we bought. They are from 2 herds that got bulls from us (the bull below is one of them) , they were both using sons of Saskvalley Bonanza 219M. 
In the bunch there are a few we raised, they are by a Black Angus bull (he is a red carrier) and pure Shorthorn cows. One of them is dark roan, she is the only roan in the bunch.
All are polled. I would guess the cows that they came out of would ave. around 1400 or so.
I think they will be the same wt. as their mothers but they maybe deeper, time will tell.

We have a good demand for Shorthorn and Shorthorn X bred heifers so one of our plans is to breed them to one of our easy calving Shorthorn bulls and try market them next fall.
My boys are wanting to expand so we may keep them. We sure like the looks ,and uniformity of them all. I think a Charolais bull would sure work good on these after their first calf.

Attachments

• Lance 004.JPG
    Lance 004.JPG
    252.4 KB · Views: 248

coyote

RankeCattleCo, what would one of those " hell of a calf" be worth?

RankeCattleCo

Depends on who you market it to.. For a commercial breeder, nothing more than your average calf. If it was flashy and you have kids around you who have the desire to show, you could sell it for a decent amount more than you would get in the sale barn I would think.

mark tenenbaum

RankeCattleCo said:
Depends on who you market it to.. For a commercial breeder, nothing more than your average calf. If it was flashy and you have kids around you who have the desire to show, you could sell it for a decent amount more than you would get in the sale barn I would think./// I agree-and the black boyz can sez what dey wants-some of the best Monopoly hiefers Ive seen are the Short-crosses like Sullivans: especially the red Short plus that won Louisville a couple years ago. Just not a hole anywhere-and an awsome pattern:eek:ne of the better show hiefers Ive ever seen. O0